Crime New York State Bans Sex Offenders From Online Gaming

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
As part of a new initiative dubbed “Operation: Game Over," more than 3,500 registered sex offenders were banned from online gaming.

Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman made the announcement today, adding that participants in the program include: Microsoft, Apple, Blizzard Entertainment, Electronic Arts, Disney Interactive Media Group, Warner Brothers and Sony.

“We must ensure online video game systems do not become a digital playground for dangerous predators. That means doing everything possible to block sex offenders from using gaming networks as a vehicle to prey on underage victims,” said Schneiderman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
This is very smart on the companies part, but I feel they are going to end up losing a lot of money in the long run. So I wold actually like to see how long all the companies agree on this.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Although i dislike putting people into categories and treating them all equally bad although they might not have committed equally bad crimes, i must say i couldnt see a way how to improve this idea.
I have read somewhere on the internet that this "sex offender" list in the USA isnt just for pedophiles and mentally ill but, for example, couples having sex in public or teenages having sex with one of them being under the age of consent while the other is just a year, or not even, older.

But i can clearly see why they want to separate pedophiles from children playing online games.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
So..
How is this supposed to make it any safer for children?
"If there's a will, there's a way" and the internet gives one many ways to beat the system.
Also, I'll bet most of these "sex offenders" aren't in rape-mode 24/7; what if they just want to play a game like normal people?

If they want to do "everything possible to block sex offenders from using gaming networks as a vehicle to prey on underage victims", they might as well ban the sex offenders from using the internet.

The article seems to over-emphasize on how "new" this law is and how it will put an end to paedophilia (or however you spell it) when it hasn't even been proven to be effective and being "new" of the "first of its kind" has nothing to do with how effective or ineffective it'll be.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Sex offenders get screwed over pretty hard by US laws nowadays to the point where it's unreasonable.
For some reason people just can't get it in their head that if you keep getting 'tougher on crime' you won't have a better society. And that's a fact, not an opinion.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
So..
How is this supposed to make it any safer for children?
"If there's a will, there's a way" and the internet gives one many ways to beat the system.
Also, I'll bet most of these "sex offenders" aren't in rape-mode 24/7; what if they just want to play a game like normal people?

If they want to do "everything possible to block sex offenders from using gaming networks as a vehicle to prey on underage victims", they might as well ban the sex offenders from using the internet.

The article seems to over-emphasize on how "new" this law is and how it will put an end to paedophilia (or however you spell it) when it hasn't even been proven to be effective and being "new" of the "first of its kind" has nothing to do with how effective or ineffective it'll be.
Unfortunatly even if there all nit in rape mode 24/7 ....there are always some who use a kids sight or games that let you chat to get a victim.. on top of this toi many kids in our generation are naive and put way too much personal information out there and are way too eager to meet those they have met online

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Unfortunatly even if there all nit in rape mode 24/7 ....there are always some who use a kids sight or games that let you chat to get a victim.. on top of this toi many kids in our generation are naive and put way too much personal information out there and are way too eager to meet those they have met online

This is why you're supposed to do this thing where you teach your kids what to do and what not to do. I think it's called parenting... apparently it's some retro thing now.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
This is why you're supposed to do this thing where you teach your kids what to do and what not to do. I think it's called parenting... apparently it's some retro thing now.

you can teach your kids whatever you want, but do they always have common sense no there kids they are going to make innocent mistakes.

As well as, I dont think any kid listens to mom and dad 100% you tel them no they want it even more.

Good parenting does not equate to what kids do and don't do unfortunately.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Actually, sex-offender-only servers would NOT be that costly. They're already talking about filtering their users by this criteria, all they do is separate the criteria. Most [if not all] online games tend to have multiple game servers to support a big fan base. Furthermore, those servers are broken down by criteria... PVP, non-PVP, different territories, etc. etc.

Making a offender-specific one wouldn't be complicated or any more expensive then any other additional server.

As far as parenting, did everyone here ALWAYS listen to their parents? Every time, especially when dealing with safety? Because I did not. I did stupid, unsafe things despite my parents warning, punishing, teaching... Didn't matter. I was a kid and I did what I wanted...

Kids always will be.

camelCase

Reaction score
Making a offender-specific one wouldn't be complicated or any more expensive then any other additional server.
That's actually a good alternative!
Quick!
Recommend it!

This is better than totally banning these poor dudes who will have no nice MMOs to play =/

"How did you end up in this server?"
"Was flashing in front of cops."
"Cool, wanna' raid a dungeon?"

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
That's actually a good alternative!
Quick!
Recommend it!

This is better than totally banning these poor dudes who will have no nice MMOs to play =/

"How did you end up in this server?"
"Was flashing in front of cops."
"Cool, wanna' raid a dungeon?"

Maybe they wont allow a chat. If they do that, you really dont want ideas given to one another at the same time, especially if they no why each is there .

camelCase

Reaction score
Sure, because you know all about their circumstances and should be given the privilege to judge how they enjoy themselves; gaming doesn't bring about sex-related crimes.

Next, you'll want to ban them from public transportation because they may molest passengers.
Then, it'll be hospitals because they may molest the nurses.
Soon, you'll just go, "Let's kill these guys; they shouldn't be allowed anywhere."

These people may have made mistakes but it doesn't mean all of them don't change.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.