Not sure if I'm going to get SC2 anymore

Arkless

Reaction score
After I read this thread I'm not really sure if I'm going to get SC2 anymore :/

What do you think about it?

Don't let them influence you, decide for yourself. Is 60 $ to much? Is it ok?

People are actually complaining over features they don't even have to use (you can, for example, decide if you want to be linked to your facebook account).

So saving all the data you input into SC2 is so bad? Google saves more data about you, even thought they aren't allowed to. Do you use icq? They get all rights on every content you send... Or maybe Skype, is it ok that they save everything about you only because you have to pay some services on skype?

Well, you will find pros and crontras everywhere, just think for yourself, if you let others decide it only matters which website you visit first.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I think that thread exaggerates things - they won't force you to link to your FB account if you don't want to, and I doubt they would do most of that stuff, I think they are just saying it for their own protection so that they don't run into the issues they did with sc1 and wc3 when they were too nice (where others ended up making more money off of their game then they did)

either way we will find out once it's released how everything works

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I think that thread exaggerates things - they won't force you to link to your FB account if you don't want to, and I doubt they would do most of that stuff, I think they are just saying it for their own protection so that they don't run into the issues they did with sc1 and wc3 when they were too nice (where others ended up making more money off of their game then they did)s

This.

Everyone these days is overly concerned about privacy. These companies (such as Google, Blizzard, etc) are not out to get you, and they're not trying to cheat you. They may be trying to make a buck off of you, but what company isn't? With Blizzard you have to explicitly pay them.

Gwypaas

hook DoNothing MakeGUIUsersCrash
Reaction score
Don't let them influence you, decide for yourself. Is 60 $ to much? Is it ok?
Why shouldn't I let them influence me? That is the truth and if I don't feel like I want to give them that ability to do stuff with my info then I should not buy the game?

WE ALSO RESERVE THE RIGHT, AT ALL TIMES AND IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, TO DISCLOSE ANY USER CONTENT AND OTHER INFORMATION (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION CHAT TEXT, VOICE COMMUNICATIONS, IP ADDRESSES, AND YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION) FOR ANY REASON
You like that?

Genemos

Reaction score
Your everyday DotA or TD will not cost any money.

I loled, since DOTA is a bigger success than any of the stuff blizzard produced with WC3, I think it is a heap of bullshit that they won't try to milk that. Really....

Also, All maps submitted will be blizzards property...
I would have loved to see Blizz taking DOTA, modifying it slightly, and then starting to sell it. No thx.

"A part of that money will go to the people that developed the maps"

And what about the rest? Go into Blizzard/Activisions pocket without doing anything else than keeping B.net2 up and running, witch I personally think you pay for when you buy a game that has been split up into 3 different parts each going to be sold for full price.

Fuah, if I buy SC2 it will buy long after release....

I can take some stuff, like taking away LAN, pirates broke the rules, we all pay the price, but, paying microtransactions? for stuff like.... chat channels, come on!

If I want to have microtransactions I go play a freaking F2P MMO, I don't spend 150 euro (SC2 with 2 expansions, this is what it should reach?) aproximately buying the freaking game to begin with.

/end rant

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I can understand them logging chats, and all that, but there are a few things that are SEVERELY WRONG with Battle.net 2.0.

Now, I'm not going to pretend I know the whole thing. Sure, I've got the beta, but I haven't actually been able to play it due to my computer (it's very, very old), but I still have a general idea of were Battle.net 2.0 is, and well, I don't like it.

There are a few cool things, such as the RealID thing (from what I've read), and the map publishing, but all of these things are flawed.

Now, as for the Facebook Integration, I think it's a little overrated. Unless we get some sort of benefit on Battle.net for having a facebook account linked, then, well, there isn't any reason to have one. Unless, of course, you want to post on your wall that you just "pwnd sum n00bs". I would bet money that Facebook will be spammed with messages exactly like this.

Now, if I were in charge of battle.net, I'd do things very differently. Mainly, I'd listen to the community.

Blizzard has a reputation of making pretty good games.
The community has a repuation of making these good games a lot better.

I just don't like Blizzard realizes how important listening to the community is, else there wouldn't be these problems.

Edit:
WE ALSO RESERVE THE RIGHT, AT ALL TIMES AND IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, TO DISCLOSE ANY USER CONTENT AND OTHER INFORMATION (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION CHAT TEXT, VOICE COMMUNICATIONS, IP ADDRESSES, AND YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION) FOR ANY REASON

That's where I draw the line.
Screw you, Blizzard. I think I'll keep my $60.

Genemos

Reaction score
The problem, as I can see, is that just as with Modern Warfare 2. The game will end up being a success, unfortunately that is what Blizzards games has a tendency to do, and once they have done it, and managed to get away with it, it will become praxis with more games.

Well, I suppose I/we should just realise that gaming will never be what it once was.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Wait, you guys actually specified real information about yourselves in your battle net accounts? oO

Lyerae

Reaction score
I don't, but with the new RealID thing, and Facebook integration, there's plenty of info to go around.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
It's simple, don't use your real info, don't link your account with facebook, and don't send your info over their chat system. It's not like they are gonna ask for proof of ID.

Lyerae

Reaction score
No, but the fact that they're saying "We have the right to share your private information" is a problem.

Now, if they would have said something like "We reserve the right to release private information to any law enforcement officials if requested" (normally you'd need a court-order, if I remember right), or something along those lines, I'd have not had a problem, but that I can understand. But just plainly saying "We have the right to give out your info" doesn't sit well with me.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
I loled, since DOTA is a bigger success than any of the stuff blizzard produced with WC3, I think it is a heap of bullshit that they won't try to milk that. Really....

Also, All maps submitted will be blizzards property...
I would have loved to see Blizz taking DOTA, modifying it slightly, and then starting to sell it. No thx.

"A part of that money will go to the people that developed the maps"

And what about the rest? Go into Blizzard/Activisions pocket without doing anything else than keeping B.net2 up and running, witch I personally think you pay for when you buy a game that has been split up into 3 different parts each going to be sold for full price.

Fuah, if I buy SC2 it will buy long after release....

I can take some stuff, like taking away LAN, pirates broke the rules, we all pay the price, but, paying microtransactions? for stuff like.... chat channels, come on!

If I want to have microtransactions I go play a freaking F2P MMO, I don't spend 150 euro (SC2 with 2 expansions, this is what it should reach?) aproximately buying the freaking game to begin with.

/end rant

Of course icefrog can distribute a World Editor made game on his own to thousands of people and reap a huge profit. I doubt icefrog himself made the game to make money. Plus I myself like ladder more than Dota.

punwisp

Reaction score
Still pisses me off they got rid of identifiers. Wanna know why?

in its place you have to email people to add them, which is very stupid, so people you met online you cant add most of them now, because you didn't know there email. Theres all sorts of really stupid moves which I hope they fix

Lyerae

Reaction score
Wait what? You have to email people to add them to your friends list?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
in its place you have to email people to add them, which is very stupid, so people you met online you cant add most of them now, because you didn't know there email.

well if you played with them (I.E. "met them online"), you can add them

and I still can't see what "personal information" you people are concerned about - you won't have to even say that you have a FB account

actually, why do the people who are concerned about their personal info even have a FB account?

regardless, you don't have any reason to complain about an optional feature that you don't have to use

the money transactions we will have to see how it is once the game is released, but I don't think it would be anything outrageous, and there are per-paid debit cards for those who are truly paranoid

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
The fact that they removed the ability to add friends via:

/f a

(or through the same way as they had previously by entering the name itself)

The fact that we have to know the person's email or play with them is bullshit.

I couldn't believe they did that at first. Adding friends is now a hassle if you don't know their email. For example, what if I had a Warcraft III buddy who has SC2 as well. I don't know his email because... well... why the hell would I know his email? I can't add him unless we happen to play together or we exchange emails. Now, you may think "Well, exchanging emails isn't so hard..." Sure, it may not be hard, but seriously? Why the hell would you change it? Adding via Name worked perfectly fine before.

Idk. SC2 is flawed, but I'm still getting it. Idk though. Lately the editing is just getting too complicated and I don't even want to do it. Not to mention that people are way too fucking competitive in Ladder. There are no good custom games as of yet and not to mention Blizzard's retardedness in hosting games on THEIR servers, thus creating massive lag for everyone.

They've really outdone themselves. The game is nearly unplayable. Nearly...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.