Not sure if I'm going to get SC2 anymore

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Did you read it?

Let's cut out some parts of it to make it easily understandable:

You hereby grant Blizzard a - right to - enter into computer memory, and use and practice such User Content as well as all modified and derivative works thereof.

That means that Blizzard has a right to put your work into their computer memory.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
@ Mapguy: stop cussing up a storm. We realize that you are having trouble reading the EULA and do not understand/ are angry about what you don't have control of... but stop caps locking and cussing please.

In any case, as Sqrage said I believe: I've given more important information to lesser credible sources before. and I am fine! haha.

mapguy

Reaction score
ow, Now I get it...
I used google translator in some parts of the text...
now it's clear.

They only have acess to my USER CONTENT that is placed inside the SC2 game...

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I really don't see what the big fuss is about. You shouldn't even be thinking of posting anything you wouldn't want people to know about online. If you don't do anything illegal, the probably won't hassle you.

Warning, Rant Start:

Lets just go through what your average person would put online into B.net accounts:
Name: Whoop-de-doo. What are they gonna do? There are almost definately more people with the same name out there in the world, even in your country. Besides, your name isn't going to help them very much at all, at best they'll be able to get your address and phone number, which may result in annoying calls/letters, but thats what the news is for. Though you don't see many, there are sometimes stories on the news about people being over spammed by companies with calls and letters, and you know what, the companies don't like the bad publicity and usually stop pretty quickly because the station will do another interview a few months later and if they don't stop sending them, people will get really pissed.
E-mail:
Basically the same as your address for possible spam. Same as above argument, would Blizzard really risk it?
Address: Included in top paragraph argument

Other than that, you should be fine. Your credit card number doesn't have to go there, its just a convieniance, and probably the riskiest thing to put online anyway. What are Blizzard gonna do with this info you give them?

Over Spam you?
Sell it to other companies to spam you?
Stalk You?

If your really that paranoid about people seeing anything about you, cancel you internet plan and sell your computer cause basically everything else you sign up for has these rights. Sony, if you agreed to their terms and conditions for any of their games on april fools day, now owns your soul. Its really not that big a deal when you think about it. I really just don't see what the big problem is. Are you all ex-convicts that are now mass murderers and drug dealers?
No?
Then you should be fine.

/Rant End

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
You know, there's one REALLY big flaw with your rant there... With your address, someone can do a WHOLE lot more than "spam your address". And trust me... When it comes to what people can do with information, you have no idea... Why do you think people BUY information? Why do you think Governments buy information? Think about it.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
lol, the name made such a big issue in the forums, yet it doesn't matter on B.net? i think the conclusion was that you can find a persons physical address from just their name in like 5 minutes, and from there you can do what the crazy wow players do

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
lol, the name made such a big issue in the forums, yet it doesn't matter on B.net? i think the conclusion was that you can find a persons physical address from just their name in like 5 minutes, and from there you can do what the crazy wow players do

Well the change was reversed due to WoW having the biggest cancelling of subscriptions when they announced that change. Money obviously changed Blizzard's mind. You don't see anyone's name in-game unless they add you using their real-ID email address. If you don't want people seeing your name then add them with your character name and code.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Whats so bad about people finding your real name? Even if they look up your address, so what? They send you spam mail? Throw it away...

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Whats so bad about people finding your real name? Even if they look up your address, so what? They send you spam mail? Throw it away...

There's more than that that they can do.

I.E. I know where YOU live :p I could totally go to your house and anally rape you... But then that's your fault for adding me on Facebook... :D

Joccaren

Reaction score
Yeah, but unless you live in a dictatorship and the government orders you assaulted or W/E, the police should keep you safe. It is completely illegal to assault, rape or murder someone so, unless you did something to them and their in a gang or something, or a psychopath, are they really gonna risk it?

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, but unless you live in a dictatorship and the government orders you assaulted or W/E, the police should keep you safe. It is completely illegal to assault, rape or murder someone so, unless you did something to them and their in a gang or something, or a psychopath, are they really gonna risk it?

Did you think that argument through? I don't have any cop ask me what I'm doing when I drive over to my friends house and walk up to the door. The criminal simply breaks into the house, and a cop isn't going to do anything until AFTER the fact, unless there's some sort of forewarning with something to back it up.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Do you REALLY think Minority Report is real? Hey, that'd be freakin owna- wait a minute..... No it wouldn't.....

I would love to guess how many of us have completed at least ONE petty crime...

Joccaren

Reaction score
The criminal simply breaks into the house, and a cop isn't going to do anything until AFTER the fact, unless there's some sort of forewarning with something to back it up.

Yeah, but why would someone who doesn't even know you break into your house and do anything to you? Sure, it happens, but its not that likely to happen. Most people are smart enough to know 'If I break into someones house, I'm going to be caught' and won't do anything.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
I only have a few words to say that will effectively end this argument.

It's Awesomness in a box that costs 60$.

Joccaren

Reaction score
Statistically, for the amount of people in most countries and the number of them that are murdered/raped due to non-gang related causes is normally pretty low. Third world countries and dictatorships are an exeption but out of, let's say the twenty million people in Australia, how many of them do you think are raped and murdered a year? And how many of those due to a gaming companies selling their information?
Not that many when compared to the twenty million living in the country.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Most rape / murder comes from within the family in our modern society.

Spam and similar will not come from Blizzard for sure, but possibly from other companies that don't care about PR.

@"Don't watch the news a whole lot do you?"
You shouldn't watch the news. It's a bad idea in the first place. News is there for manipulating pals. And if I look at your argumentation, it worked.
News is there for making exceptions and single cases sound like the standard.
How many private U.S. citizens died due to acts of terrorism worldwide in 2009?
How many German citizens died due to drug abuse in the same year?

Compare size of countries...

---------------------

I'm glad I got it for a 30% discount. I wouldn't have paid much more. The campaign was fun, though nothing groundbreaking, and the graphics was very cool. It has a whole lots of gimmicks.
The MP is very good, although after playing about 30 matches I have to say I liked SC more than SC2. The hard-counter system enforces certain strategies, unlike SC where you could win the game with about any unit.

As for the map editor, I will definetly not create a map for SC2.

And when it comes to data, I think every sane citizen should know how to protect himself against that type of stuff. Sadly, this is not the case.
The main problem here will certainly not be murder/rape or anything, but mobbing. Exposing personal data of an 11 year old on the internet and making him findable by his class mates can create very difficult situations. Facebook and friends raised the mobbing problem on a completely new platform, and companies like Blizzard will make the situation even worse.
Just look at that video Sevion linked. We might just laugh about it or say how crazy WoW makes pals, but this video probably destroyed his dignity. Possibly the problem is even deeper, and he started to play WoW excessively because of his problems in reallife, but a video like this certainly will not improve his situation. Quite to the contrary, he will now find himself even deeper in the spiral of mobbing, self-exclusion, abasement and isolation.

And I think this is the major threat that comes with personal identification on the internet.

Spam and similar can be clicked away. Murder and rape don't happen that often, especially not outside of the family. But mobbing is a serious problem in our society, and it will probably become worse.

punwisp

Reaction score
People talk about how Sc1s gameplay is better. Well, do this without patches on both sides then make judgement calls.

Starcraft 1 had horrible balance issues at first, things like some units being unkillable and siege tanks firing from half way across the map. It was quite a imbalanced game. You cant say the same for Sc2.

You guys are looking at this in a narrow view full of unfair comparisons. Only after all the patches, and broodwar + patches do we see Sc1 as good of a game we see as now. Yet this game came out, and people still compare to Sc1.

Wait for a few major patches, and everyone will be screaming in happiness like Twilight fans were when Jacob takes off his shirt

There's more than that that they can do.

I.E. I know where YOU live :p I could totally go to your house and anally rape you... But then that's your fault for adding me on Facebook... :D

On literal terms, what REALLY are the chances of someone getting your address and actually taking time of there life to come stalk you or some shit.

Pretty low actually, so much more can happen anyway, and you guys are worried about posting information in THIS? If so then you have about 100 other things you should worry about, some of which you should more than this stupid debacle.

Lastly, the whole whining thing about blizz owning your maps. Well erhrm, they own them anyway, just like they own wc3 maps, you don't own them. You are using THERE tools to create with your imagination a map, designed by you, but is OWNED by blizzard.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Lastly, the whole whining thing about blizz owning your maps. Well erhrm, they own them anyway, just like they own wc3 maps, you don't own them.

That's what I thought, too. I was in a discussion with say_no_to_war about that and he showed me the EULA. If you look into the EULA, it doesn't say that you have to irrevocably give up your copy right. Maps and design ideas are property of thought and should be handled as such.

@the personal information...
Just today I heard that the German TV/Radio/Computer Licensing Office buys personal information from companies to make you pay.
The case was that a woman used the name of her dog in a lottery (a whole lotta time ago). The dog died 5 years ago, but the Licensing Office recently sent a letter to register for TV Licensing fees - addressed at the dog.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.