Not sure if I'm going to get SC2 anymore

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I don't want to pull a godwin here, so I'm gonna use a Bush.

"There are weapons of mass destruction!"
"There is privacy!"

@slapshot:
"your IP address which everyone already has anyways"
luckily enough, that's not true = )

I don't think they'll share any data though.

What I fear a lot more is that they reserved the right to take any user content and republish/sell it to any third party.

That basically means, if you're making an aweseme, free map, everyone plays it, and blizz says: "No we need to make money off of that map..." and SWOOSH it's theirs and not yours anymore.

If they take my map and do that KABLAM ill just publish the same map but no pay. So basically a copy :)

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
Everyone is paranoid about this personal information crap. Blizzard is a legitimate company, and it will not give out your personal information for no reason. It is certainly only a clause for legality issues. If they gave out your information, it would cause an uproar and no one would buy a Blizzard or Activision product in the future. Seriously, grow up, chill out, and be rational.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's best to see a 1 to 2 month of impressions given by game reviewers after SC2 is launched.

After that, price should drop fairly quick.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Seriously, I doubt Blizzard gives a f*** about threads like this or the one on their forum. There will be countless of gamers that WILL buy the game and WILL give information, in order to get their hands on every little thing Blizz offers for a price.

What's the point in having fanboys, when they only whine when you introduce something to get you more money?

Oh, and nobody is forcing you to buy the maps that will be premium (so you are not forced to introduce credit card data), you are not forced to use the facebook integration or the socialization platform of B.net and you are not forced to play online (playing offline just lacks achievements, big deal. And of course, lacks ladder play, but that's normal).

The only issue is that you can't play LAN (and, frankly, I don't care about it, never played WC3 lan =/) and that they have the rights to everything you make in a map, which makes me tell you: don't make plans to earn a living by making SCII maps. Just map for the fun and keep your best ideas for yourself and try making them a game through other means.

KillerChi

Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised they won't have all of the custom games. Oh well, they aren't that great anyways. Except for like, TD's and shit.

I'm still gonna get SC2, and, of course they can monitor your chat and shit. That really isn't a surprise at all. I don't plan on giving out my SS# out there.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I just thought of what they could use the chats for - they could use it to search for bots and deal with them accordingly

why don't they do this for wc3? maybe they wanted to but they couldn't because of the ToS

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
There is however, one good side. Hosting bots aren't going to be appearing anytime soon.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
So much whining...

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
So if I get this right, then any artwork, story, or gameplay concept, how (un)original it may be, is - by scrolling through the EULA and a short click on "accept" - automatically turned into Blizzard's very own intellectual property, once created and uploaded as SC2 map???
Given someone could pull off and hype an original concept (compare to sth like DotA) to later on found a company (such as Riot Games) and publish this game concept (such as Leage of Legends), he'd instantaneously be steamrolled by a mob of level 72 auto-casting, thunderbolt-wielding Blizz lawyers?

Hmm, I'm not saying that my ideas are near brilliance, marketing-wise, but whoey!, this gives me yet another thought on whether I'd really want to make maps anymore.

krainert

Reaction score
In the Danish ToS:
11.4 User Content. “Content” means any communications, images, sounds, and all the material and information that you upload or transmit through a Game client or the Service, or that other users upload or transmit, including without limitation any chat text. You hereby grant Blizzard a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, paid-up, non-exclusive, license, including the right to sublicense to third parties, and right to reproduce, fix, adapt, modify, translate, reformat, create derivative works from, manufacture, introduce into circulation, publish, distribute, sell, license, sublicense, transfer, rent, lease, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, or provide access to electronically, broadcast, communicate to the public by telecommunication, display, perform, enter into computer memory, and use and practice such Content as well as all modified and derivative works thereof. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, you hereby waive any moral rights you may have in any Content.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
We should wait and see what comes up on the final beta phase before launch. I've heard Blizzard is going to do something about Battle.net 2.0 during the "couple of weeks without beta".

Since the game is nearly finished, I assume the only thing Blizzard is reasonably doing during the gap is the server maintenance. Other than that, I'm not sure what they might be doing.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean like Civ Wars, EuroRisk map hosting bots? They are cross realm bots, so we should be seeing them about 1 or 2 month just after release date.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
From the new ToS:

WE ALSO RESERVE THE RIGHT, AT ALL TIMES AND IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, TO DISCLOSE ANY USER CONTENT AND OTHER INFORMATION (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION CHAT TEXT, VOICE COMMUNICATIONS, IP ADDRESSES, AND YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION) FOR ANY REASON, including without limitation (a) to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request; (b) to enforce the terms of this or any other agreement or Blizzard policy; (c) to protect our legal rights and remedies; (d) where we feel someone's health or safety may be threatened; or (e) to report a crime or other offensive behavior.

I don't know how much of Gwypaas' original posting was quoted out of context, but it is DEFINITELY out of context when quoted here.

It seems they're basically telling you that it's for a good purpose. There's no evil intent here, and the new ToS explicitly state that not all content CAN be monitored by Blizzard :)rolleyes:).

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I used to use a private cross-realm hosting "bot" that only worked on manual command and a legitimate host. It was extremely useful.

kistril

Reaction score
I personally just really hate this because my ISP/router is pretty unstable. No LAN bones me over by disabling any playing with friends/brothers in my house. It really sucks, I dont' want to have to be connected to the internet to just play a game with friends. Also the no chat room sucks. D:

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
It seems they're basically telling you that it's for a good purpose. There's no evil intent here, and the new ToS explicitly state that not all content CAN be monitored by Blizzard :)rolleyes:).

for any reason.

for ANY reason.

FOR ANY REASON!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.