Not sure if I'm going to get SC2 anymore

EpicFlux

Reaction score
WE ALSO RESERVE THE RIGHT, AT ALL TIMES AND IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, TO DISCLOSE ANY USER CONTENT AND OTHER INFORMATION (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION CHAT TEXT, VOICE COMMUNICATIONS, IP ADDRESSES, AND YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION) FOR ANY REASON

Ok what company doesn't reserve that right. I reserve that right on my graphics forum and it's free lol

It's a right every company has and upholds for their security. You seem to easily influenced. Why do you need so much privacy? If your on a forum you have alreayd compromised your privacy. Your IP can be traced to your exact position. Playing a game sends data between servers. Again, compromised privacy. It just depends how you gauge I guess but the fact is, don't base your opinions on it.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Ok what company doesn't reserve that right. I reserve that right on my graphics forum and it's free lol

It's a right every company has and upholds for their security. You seem to easily influenced. Why do you need so much privacy? If your on a forum you have alreayd compromised your privacy. Your IP can be traced to your exact position. Playing a game sends data between servers. Again, compromised privacy. It just depends how you gauge I guess but the fact is, don't base your opinions on it.

What I'm actually more concerned with is the user content thingie. But there seems to be a huge number of pals who care a lot about their privacy, and some of them argue that it's "only for the good" when the EULA clearly states that any reason is valid.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
Then again, how many people do you know with unique map ideas (plenty), that catch on (few), for more than a season (1? 2?) where the players would want to pay to play (sorry, come again?)?

krainert

Reaction score
Then again, how many people do you know with unique map ideas (plenty), that catch on (few), for more than a season (1? 2?) where the players would want to pay to play (sorry, come again?)?
1... And that story has probably reached its end by now with HoN and LoL.

That still doesn't mean I don't want the right to my own work, though ;)

KingTobiazZz

Reaction score
you do know that if Blizzard releases your adress to the niternetz the Hells Angels will come to your home and rape you?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you do know that if Blizzard releases your adress to the niternetz the Hells Angels will come to your home and rape you?

and where exactly would they get your address from? do you regularly give away your address on the internet? or do you mean the IP address that every single website you go to already has?

krainert

Reaction score
[...] the IP address that every single website you go to already has?
Slight difference: Every single website you go to surely doesn't have your personal information, logs, and references (email based friends list), and if they did, they couldn't share it without breaking common law in pretty much any country. Unless, of course, you accept a ToS/EULA which gives them the right - which is exactly what Blizzard is doing now, which is exactly what people have been pointing out. That makes the difference between these ToS and those of any other online entity.

I really don't wanna complain anymore, though, so for me this pretty much just means I'll be running through Steam and don't use the social features of Battle.net. Problem solved.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Slight difference: Every single website you go to surely doesn't have your personal information, logs, and references (email based friends list), and if they did, they couldn't share it without breaking common law in pretty much any country. Unless, of course, you accept a ToS/EULA which gives them the right - which is exactly what Blizzard is doing now, which is exactly what people have been pointing out. That makes the difference between these ToS and those of any other online entity.

I really don't wanna complain anymore, though, so for me this pretty much just means I'll be running through Steam and don't use the social features of Battle.net. Problem solved.

still don't get what "personal information, logs or references" you are talking about, and it's not like you can't make as many e-mail accounts as you want/need for free with minimal effort

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
People are only complaining because they are paying blizzard money for this. Oh, and a game.

Google does this for free. Oh, and it gives you google search, and youtube, and gmail, and google maps, and etc..

Some people complain about google and crazy amount of stuff they know about you, they don't really care though because google is awesome. People care about what Blizzard knows because it isn't that awesome.

It's like you buy a game of 3d chess, and then are forced to provide all of your information.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
...they don't really care though because google is awesome. People care about what Blizzard knows because it isn't that awesome.

I must have completely forgot about the awesome rule :p

I still don't really see what the fuss is about. If your stupid enough to give out your personal information in the first place then your just asking for trouble. As for rights to maps, I don't think it is really gonna matter. If for some reason Blizzard screws over someone, Blizzard are gonna lose a massive amount of reputation and confidence with map makers. In the end, they will be the ones that lose.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You did indeed forget. The worse the product, the less you expect them to expect of you.

If you make a battle.net account you are required to give everything from your telephone number to you name and basically every other way to contact someone I do believe. So if you even have starcraft you have given away information. Blizzard probably won't give the information away, but if one of the most popular websites in the world, facebook, gives away information, then who knows. Anyway, it's almost impossible to track down who gave your info away.

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
If for some reason Blizzard screws over someone, Blizzard are gonna lose a massive amount of reputation and confidence with map makers. In the end, they will be the ones that lose.
I wouldn't be so sure there. Let's just imagine Blizz already had this clause in their WC3 ToS/EULA to now sue former DotA makers Riot Games for (freely) publishing their Leage of Legends game.
Would you really care? Do you really think others would?

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure there. Let's just imagine Blizz already had this clause in their WC3 ToS/EULA to now sue former DotA makers Riot Games for (freely) publishing their Leage of Legends game.
Would you really care? Do you really think others would?

Maybe not in that situation, but say if someone makes a map that is widely liked, then blizzard decides to ban the map and remove it from their severs, then slightly modify it and re-post it as a premium map. As long as there is enough is publicity about it, map-makers will reconsider publishing their maps.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
I would laugh my fucking ass off if the SC/Hacking community would release a program like Ventrilo that could be used for in-game text chatting with your teammates such that everyone could bypass bnet communications altogether and just run a client in the background. All it would have to do is overlay the text on the screen.

It would send one hell of a message to Blizzard if a majority of people adopted it and there is nothing they could do about it.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
There's no doubt that no one will use Bnet communications -_-' It's a widely known fact that if they don't do something about the communication restrictions/problems/what-have-you, then SC2 is going to lose players and sales.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
There's no doubt that no one will use Bnet communications -_-' It's a widely known fact that if they don't do something about the communication restrictions/problems/what-have-you, then SC2 is going to lose players and sales.

I don't see why people whine over this. If you don't want blizzard knowing, or anyone else for that matter, then talk to that person in real life, in front of them. As people probably know, all e-mail is monitored, and phones are monitored as well. Well, landlines within the system anyway.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
That's not what I was talking about.

communication restrictions/problems/what-have-you

You've seen Husky's review of Battle.net 2.0, I trust?

That's more what I was getting at.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.