~Nova Wars~

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
~Nova Wars!~
A little side-project while working on Era of Alliance.

• What is this?
Nova Wars is a 32x32 arena genre map with a twist; The map is based on novas. When you pick your hero, which is a normal warcraft 3 hero, with a little custom spells, you will have two items: One named "Choose Nova" and one named "Upgrade Nova".

• The Choose Nova Item
When this item is used, a dialog with, currently, 4 buttons. One named Frost Nova, one named Flame Nova, one named Lightning Nova, and one named Poison Nova. Each Nova has its own adventages and disadventages; Example is, that the poison nova has a lot of buffs, and is weak in the early levels, but more powerful in the later levels.

• The Upgrade Nova Item
As some of you may have guessed, this item upgrades your Novas. Upgrading your Novas costs more and more Hero Points, which is gained from hero killing. For each time you upgrade a Nova, it will cost 5 more Hero Points.
The max level of the Novas is 15, but this will increase.

• Heroes
Currenly, there are only 2 heroes. But making heroes is not the big time taker in this map, so I'll guess that the first beta version is ready today or tomorrow.

• How did I get this idea?
Well, I am making a hero for the hero contest, and that hero got an ability with a nova, and then I thought; "Wow, it could be nice with a map based on novas!". And about 2 min after, I had drawed the map on a paper, and thought of all the systems I should use.

• Screenshots

• Beta testers
None

• Suggestions
I am wide open for suggestions, so just shoot :)
The suggestions will be posted in this post.

Increase Size of Novas System by ZiggyMcjoney.

• Progress
Terrain: 100%.
Heroes: 20%.
Skills: 30%.
Systems: 80%.
Originality: 40+%.

Report bugs and comments at: [email protected]

• Current version:

Nova Wars v1c Beta!

Features:
Rematch System.
Even More Novas
2 Heroes (duh)
Minimal sized map ( 96,7 kb as far as I remember.. )

There ya go: NWv1c(p)

Have fun :)

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
So you just run around spamming different novas on heros to kill them?

Sounds fun but you'll need to add fancy effects to the spells.

For example, Glaive Masters (by gex or gekko or whatever his name is) is fun because the glaives bounce, and you can upgrade them to make them bigger and make things really insane.

You should make novas that aren't just lame damaging spells, but have really cool effects to them that make the game fun. Make sure upgrades are not just made to make the spell stronger, but also to change the spell to make it more exciting, in my opinion.

I think that small maps, especially 32x32, thrive on being as chaotic as possible within reason. So if theres massive balls of fire from a fire nova flying everywhere, great! Adds more to the insanity and to the fun.

That's just my opinion though. It's your map, you take it where you want :p.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
So you just run around spamming different novas on heros to kill them?

Sounds fun but you'll need to add fancy effects to the spells.

For example, Glaive Masters (by gex or gekko or whatever his name is) is fun because the glaives bounce, and you can upgrade them to make them bigger and make things really insane.

You should make novas that aren't just lame damaging spells, but have really cool effects to them that make the game fun. Make sure upgrades are not just made to make the spell stronger, but also to change the spell to make it more exciting, in my opinion.

I think that small maps, especially 32x32, thrive on being as chaotic as possible within reason. So if theres massive balls of fire from a fire nova flying everywhere, great! Adds more to the insanity and to the fun.

That's just my opinion though. It's your map, you take it where you want :p.

Hmm.. I think I will add the more exiting thingy :)
Got more suggestions?

And thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: Added an increase size of nova system to the map, you will be credited, ZiggyMcjoney.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Here's a random Suggestions :

Since it's gonna be nova everywhere, a 'Teleport to Random Point' ability could be fun :p

Uh.. 1 sec Phase Shift with uber long cooldown?
For last resort :p

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Cool ;p. You could add other upgrades to abilities as well, not just to change the effectiveness of the nova but also to add certain new powers to it.

For example, if you had a fire nova whose normal effect was to make an explosion at the target point, you could make an upgrade which causes balls of fire to erupt from the explosion and head in random directions, destroying trees and damaging enemies.

Similiarly you could make a frost nova which could, when upgraded, make it snow in a target area causing units caught in it to move slower.

Also, DarkRae, that teleport to random point ability would be awesome :p.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Here's a random Suggestions :

Since it's gonna be nova everywhere, a 'Teleport to Random Point' ability could be fun :p

Uh.. 1 sec Phase Shift with uber long cooldown?
For last resort :p

What is Phase Shift?

> ZiggyMcjoney

It sounds cool, but think of it: Wouldn't it lag the hell out of most comps?
I will add the Teleport to Random Point ability.

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Phase Shift allows the caster to go into another reality, avoiding all damage done to him, in other words, makes him invulnerable (it's better than divine Shield, cuz if you move, you lose the effect).

Btw, you give me an idea!... uh... Shock Wave Wars! Omg Pwnage!!! Or... Or... uh... er... Clap Wars! Omg Pwnage! Or... Or... uh... er... Bolt Wars! Omg Pwnage!!! Or... Or... uh... er... Rain Wars! (Rain of Fire, Rain of Ice (Blizzard), Rain of Poison, Rain of Water, Rain of Rocks) Omg Pwnage! Or... Or.... uh... er... Root Wars!!! Omg Pwnage!!! Or... Or... uh... er...I don't know more...

Btw!!! I call the game called ~Force Wars~
The Force Be With You!!!

Force Wars is based on 'Force of Nature' omg pwnage right? right/!??!?!

Im serious of this project, sounds fun to make hahaha.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
What is Phase Shift?

> ZiggyMcjoney

It sounds cool, but think of it: Wouldn't it lag the hell out of most comps?
I will add the Teleport to Random Point ability.

Depends how you do it, really.

Anyway they were just examples ;p.

How about a sheep nova? Could make sheep rain from the sky, and when they land they either explode dealing damage or start attacking enemy units.

:p

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Depends how you do it, really.

Anyway they were just examples ;p.

How about a sheep nova? Could make sheep rain from the sky, and when they land they either explode dealing damage or start attacking enemy units.

:p

Haha, could be a nice idea. Since I can't use WE right now, could you do the trigger?

@FrozenShadow

Right now I think you are an idiot(no offense). You are doing a copy of my map, you didn't even get your own idea? Can't you just play the map when it gets here? I think it's really annoying that you copy my idea.

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Lawl, w/e you say, it isn't the same cause it uses summons! It's just like Element TD except it uses Summons, Not Towers, and it doesn't kill creeps that walk through a trench. And my map ain't small as yours, it's 64x64 =P. it's 6 FFA =P.

And my map uses a Summon Spirit System, Multi-Cast System, Ultimate Summon System, Upgrade System, Morph System, and Terrain-Summon System :p.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Lawl, w/e you say, it isn't the same cause it uses summons! It's just like Element TD except it uses Summons, Not Towers, and it doesn't kill creeps that walk through a trench. And my map ain't small as yours, it's 64x64 =P. it's 6 FFA =P.

And my map uses a Summon Spirit System, Multi-Cast System, Ultimate Summon System, Upgrade System, Morph System, and Terrain-Summon System :p.

Nice copy of the ~'s around the name there imo.

EDIT: :p for lightheartedness.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
FrozenShadow, okay, but please, give it another name.

@ZiggyMcjoney: I will add a sheep nova.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Sounds interesting.

So normal novas deal damage in an area and then expand outwards, dealing more damage, and this one deals damage in an area and goes inwards?

If I understand it right that's a pretty awesome idea, but it'd have to do a fair bit of damage.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Sounds interesting.

So normal novas deal damage in an area and then expand outwards, dealing more damage, and this one deals damage in an area and goes inwards?

If I understand it right that's a pretty awesome idea, but it'd have to do a fair bit of damage.

It is smaller than the other, though, it deals much more damage.

I will also release the first version (probably) today.
If the AI works.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Nova Wars v1 Beta!
Sorry for double post, wanted to keep them seperated(once again).

Features:
AI
More Novas
2 Heroes (duh)
Minimal sized map ( 84,7 kb as far as I remember.. )

There ya go: NWv1b(p)

Have fun :)

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Tested it, it was fun, cool game =).

Off Topic: Noo!!!! I lost the race to first post of map!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.