Novels

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
I started out to write a little zombie combat novel for my friends. I got tired of writing it considering that back then, i havnt read many books yet. I see it as a good idea to read books continuously while writing your novel. Going into detail never hurts, look at LOTR :p.

Maybe someday ill get around to it. maybe not. novels are generally large books. The amount of creativity that one has to sprout to come up with just clever names is enormous

Hope you do well :thup:

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
30,000 words about nothing. It was a fantasy novel. I threw it out a long time ago due to my frustration with myself.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
16,000 words and I started losing it. I don't have the patience it seems. Also, if it's your first novel, don't count on it being published. I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic.

Also, going into detail can hurt, look at LOTR.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Anyone going to write a novel this Nov.? I'll take you on as friendly rival if I have the time.

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Working on one? Yes. But I could say that for the past two (?) "major projects" which I ended up ditching too. Hopefully now I've matured enough as a writer to curb that habit though.

My current project, well, I haven't even begun writing it yet. So far all the time has been spent worldbuilding (not that that's not a considerable heap of work by itself...).

The furthest I've ever gotten to writing a novel was 5,000 words. Amg. I no. But that was a long time ago.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Already wrote one. Just not published.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I've got a couple and a screenplay that I just finished, about to finish a second one. Working on a few others.

One of the novels is about a man in an ancient Warcraft-like world (can't think of a better way to describe it) who was once part of the council of sorcery until a dark sorcerer took power and went to war and the government began to fall apart. It draws a lot from some concepts from Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and similar stories.

The other novel is about someone who works with small time drug dealers who find a contact that can get cheap MDMA, and they end up getting too far into it and start to get paranoid that someone told the police about them, and end up on the run.

The screenplay I finished I think I made a post about. It's about soldiers who are sent into Russia to aid a revolution, but the rebels start to disband because the leaders have different ideas, and when they are wanting to go home they instead help one side of the rebels to stop the launching of lost Soviet nuclear weapons that the other rebels found.

The other screenplay is a lot more complex. It's about a 25 year old who was trying to get clean from drugs, and lost everything he cared about. He gets a chance to go back and start life over from high school. He would remember what had happened, but would slowly forget as time went on and he made different choices that would change the future. It focuses on small choices in life, like at the start of it when he starts over he doesn't get high before class with some people because they would later get him onto harder drugs, but by doing so he isn't late. He sits in the same spot he did, but then someone he'd been friends with for a while sits next to him. Whereas when he was late, that friend was on the other side, and where he sat was the last open spot since he was so late, and in the first life he became friends with someone who later had a huge impact by supporting him a lot and took him to where he grew up, where he met a girl that was the first person he fell in love with. It's really hard to describe adequately, but it focuses on small choices like that and has flashes of what the other life was like at relevant points in time.

Thinking about getting the novels published if I can. I wanted to develop the screenplays myself but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Trying to figure out how I would get funding for it, the second one would probably be relatively cheap. The one about the Russian revolution would end up being really expensive.

16,000 words and I started losing it. I don't have the patience it seems. Also, if it's your first novel, don't count on it being published. I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic.

Also, going into detail can hurt, look at LOTR.

JK Rowling?

And the Lord of the Rings is like one of the most popular books ever.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
JK Rowling?

And the Lord of the Rings is like one of the most popular books ever.

I have a very hard time believing that. We, as the world's population, read a lot less than our past generation. They had Lord of the Rings, but they had other books too. Have you forgotten Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Kurt Vonnegut, and the book Wizard of Oz? All have been contemporary at their time, and they were considered to be the best of the best.

I would be surprised to see Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings to be considered the most popular novels ever. Mark Twain still has a large chain of devoted fans. You should hear all the kids in my writing group. That's all they talk about.

"Ninva, your writing is so much like Mark Twain!"

"Yeah! You will be famous!"

"LOL!"

Seb!

Reaction score
I have a very hard time believing that. We, as the world's population, read a lot less than our past generation. They had Lord of the Rings, but they had other books too. Have you forgotten Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Kurt Vonnegut, and the book Wizard of Oz? All have been contemporary at their time, and they were considered to be the best of the best.

I would be surprised to see Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings to be considered the most popular novels ever. Mark Twain still has a large chain of devoted fans. You should hear all the kids in my writing group. That's all they talk about.

"Ninva, your writing is so much like Mark Twain!"

"Yeah! You will be famous!"

"LOL!"

Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are up there in like the top twenty list of books sold. They rival such works as the Bible, the Koran, and Quotes from Chairman Mao. You should check out this link.

But you have to realize that back when something like Tale of Two Cities was published, the literacy rates were incredibly low. Reaching hundreds of millions of copies sold counted on reaching generation after generation of readers, even up till today. So it is quite a feat that Harry Potter and LOTR have sold so many books in one generation.

Of course, if you're actually a good writer, a visionary, the rule is that you won't sell many books at all because you're ahead of your time :p. You will have to settle for the respect of a very small group of the literate. Writes that appeal to the unsophisticated masses, like Dickens, will always outsell the good stuff.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
But you have to realize that back when something like Tale of Two Cities was published, the literacy rates were incredibly low. Reaching hundreds of millions of copies sold counted on reaching generation after generation of readers, even up till today. So it is quite a feat that Harry Potter and LOTR have sold so many books in one generation.

I do realize that, but I still doubt LOTR and Harry Potter are the most popular books ever read. I really do.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
J.R.R. Tolkein didnt want the best book. he just wanted a book about another world. and he did that by explaining almost every single detail there is. making it seem like you were right there.

IMO its the best book when it comes down to making that picture form in your head

Seb!

Reaction score
I do realize that, but I still doubt LOTR and Harry Potter are the most popular books ever read. I really do.

Did you check the link? I mean of course they're not number one.. but seriously check that link.

WrathMonkey

Reaction score
This is a personal novel thread, haha, let's try to keep it to that. :]

I wrote a 13,065 story for NaNoWriMo in 2006 but it's a pretty worthless read, even compared against my own works. I skipped NaNoWriMo in '07 and '08 but I plan on writing in the '09 one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.