Number of Players per Diablo III game?

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
Does anyone have or find any information on how many players will be allowed in one game for Diablo 3?

I was trying to search for it, but couldn't find anything.

I do remember one interesting fact I'll throw in(though I'm sure some of you already know it). In an interview I saw with the Lead Game Designer of Diablo III, he said that he guarantees we will not lose exp upon death-- at most we'd lose some gold and a little bit of our time.

Anyway, back on subject. Anyone know the max players per game?

-Beetlebomb

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
In an article I was reading in Total PC Gaming yesterday, it said that up to 8 players would be capable of playing in one game, although 4 is the recommended number. Not really sure if that number is correct, but I can't see why they would need to change it, and it would seem silly for the magazine to say a number with no factual basis (unless they specifically said it was a guess)

Nice thing to hear about the EXP (even though that only affected people playing on Nightmare and Hell difficulty, right?), although would be great if all gold dropped on death would return to you when picked up (I get the feeling that, in D2, when you picked up gold dropped from death, it was shared with everyone else, but I can't fully remember)

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
>I get the feeling that, in D2, when you picked up gold dropped from death, it was shared with everyone else

It did, and that's why people always stashed their gold so that when they died it wouldn't go on the ground and be split when they picked it up, haha.

I can't seem to remember the max in Diablo 2. Wasn't it 7? I mean, I always wanted to have a couple more players-- like 10, but then again that would make monsters almost too strong, if they continued with the strengthening of monsters = to how many players are in the game.

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
Yea. You're probably right. I just remember seeing 7 all the time when looking for games. Probably 8, counting yourself.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I hope they raise the maximum amount from 8 to 12, or something similar.

There's nothing better than hammering through the levels in a gigantic party!

But I understand when they leave it to 8 because it will get pretty graphic intense
and the gaming experience may suffer if you're not using a high-end computer.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
>"But I understand when they leave it to 8 because it will get pretty graphic intense"

And cluttered, just look at the amount of effects a single hero can create.

I doubt that they'll raise it above 8 players.

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
>I doubt that they'll raise it above 8 players

As much as I would also like to see a slightly bigger party going on, It's probably not going to happen because, I mean-- just look at the size of the playing areas. Sometimes they're not even big enough for a 8 player group in my eyes.

Best we can hope for is a good physics system that lets us chuck corpses around that have long since been dead(or the option too, if you got a state-of-the-art new computer just for D3)

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
>"But I understand when they leave it to 8 because it will get pretty graphic intense"

And cluttered, just look at the amount of effects a single hero can create.

I doubt that they'll raise it above 8 players.

8 players is not bad at all, since they are going to make some sort of controlled PvP (arena maybe) it would be great.

I hope they raise the maximum amount from 8 to 12, or something similar.

There's nothing better than hammering through the levels in a gigantic party!

But I understand when they leave it to 8 because it will get pretty graphic intense
and the gaming experience may suffer if you're not using a high-end computer.

Maybe more for custom games, 8 for ladder style or classic, and 12 for custom settings games. Though they cannot cater a game just for low-end users, they always would have settings for shadows, effect details, etc, but making a game of less quality to get that extra sale would be stupid.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Though they cannot cater a game just for low-end users
But that is one of the things that Blizzard generally aims for when making their games (and I'm sure you can see that it works :p)

but making a game of less quality to get that extra sale would be stupid.
Not increasing the player count doesn't reduce the quality, that's nonsense to be honest. D2 is a fantastic game with 8 players, so why should D3 be any worse with the same player count? Just have faith in Blizzard, I think they know what they're doing :p

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
>(arena maybe)

I sure as hell hope they do not put arenas. Diablo 2 was great in its PVP sense because of the fact that you were actually in a wide open area that allowed you to run and possibly throw enemies at creatures.

Making an arena would make it sound too much like WoW, and I don't want that. We're talking about Diablo.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Maybe they could cordone off a certain area around the players (unless the PVP stays the same in the sense that once you leave town with hostile flag towards a player, you're open to being hit by that player whenever-whereever), so that you would still have the ability to run around and use monsters as mini-barricades, but you wouldn't have the ability to continuously flee until you were at the end of the Act :p

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
Well one major difference that I noticed between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 is that diablo 3 is way more compact with walls and turns, while Diablo 2 had big fields and wide deserts to walk across, with little physical obstacles in the way.

But yea, I'd definitely like to figure out what their current plans are for making PvP fun, but still Diablo Genre.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
this topics kinda dead but
i thought it was 12 cause when wed powerlevel our low level chars we wold
Code:
/players 12

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
this topics kinda dead but
i thought it was 12 cause when wed powerlevel our low level chars we wold
Code:
/players 12

Typing in
Code:
/players 8
Had exactly the same effect. 8 is the maximum number of players.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I always felt, and still feel, 8 is just the right number for Diablo.

Less would be boring. More would obviously be overkill.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Well. I for the most part agree. Beyound 8 teamwork gos down like crazy. because it becomes tuff to manage.

But if the computers and networks can handle it and what not. I think it would be cool if there could be like 20 or so battle it out once per week for some sweet item. Like The Toad Ring, Summons a Toad!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.