NUON Controller Promotion! Free NUON Controller contest!

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an HPI Stealth controller that I got from the guy who created Nuance, the NUON emulator after he died from his parents. I do not feel good about selling it as I got it for free so I am going to have a contest for it. Post in this thread why you should have this controller. I have received many requests in the past for me to sell these controllers for some great reasons I want to see those reasons here. Since the controller is from Mike Perry hopefully the person that wins will be a DEV person.

Post here why you should get this controller and we will vote in the end to see who gets it. Let the game begin.

Jjona5

Reaction score
I will say that I already have a controller but under normal circumstances I have a retro gaming club/anime club at my school(I'm a junior high science teacher) I rarely bring out the nuon because I only have one controller. My 3do/cdi even get more time than the nuon. Normally I have about 5 crts and 3 projectors going but because of corona I havent been able to have it this year.

V-SNES

NUON Lover!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if I deserve it more than anyone else, but I was too young to experience the Nuon when it came out (i.e. 2 years old). By the time I learned about it (2020), it was kind of too late to buy an original controller at an affordable price. While I have gotten a few games so far, I haven't had the chance to get the hardware considering the difficulty of finding one for sale in Canada. I have considered paying the high shipping prices (and import tax) on consoles being sold in the U.S., but not having a controller makes it difficult for me to warrant such a purchase. While I may be young, I love video game history and have a great appreciation for the lesser known consoles like the Virtual Boy, Super Cassette Vision, and Jaguar. I've also had increasing interest in homebrew communities lately and I'm even currently doing a research project on the Planet Virtual Boy community for one of my Anthropology classes (Anthropology Major). Also, given that I plan on becoming a high school teacher, I hope to one day create some sort of video game history class. As I often say, video game history is not only interesting, but something we can actually experience. Overall, learning about the Nuon has been really fun and I hope I'll get the chance to experience the console soon.

ANIDEM

Reaction score
Because I'm an outlier and love my N64 controller, so I don't think anybody will appreciate this more than me.

atarigalore

Reaction score
I would like it so I can have it for testing to try and make controller access for nuon easier to get.

I have a friend that makes this controller adapter that lives close to me called the Bliss-Box https://bliss-box.net/
I helped him with a problem he had at first and made an "unofficial" firmware hack for it, it's not needed anymore now as he has bought the extra usb id's he needed.

this was the site I ran with my "unofficial" fix https://atarigalore.wixsite.com/4play

he is working on a new product that allows one end to plug to consoles (so far snes, genesis, psx, ps2, and a few more, 3do coming soon) and the other you use any and all controllers his adapter supports. I'm going to bring my nuon over to him with controllers for him to analyze and add support.....

if all goes well I'm gonna see about maybe paying him to have the dongles needed for his adapter to plug to the nuon controller ports mass produced, otherwise it would have to be a home made dongle made by anyone wanting it...... he only usually has dongles that a lot of people request made as it's not the cheapest thing to do in quantities where cost per piece would be worth it.
So if it works out I will just get a small amount per dongle he would sell, I probably wouldn't get all my money back but it will be one of the only ways to make the nuon more accessable to more people.

I am a tester for him and have one of the original beta units.

this could open up much cheaper analog controllers for nuon by using ps2, or n64 controllers for instance.

Last edited:

grimm

Cool Member
Reaction score
To be honest, if he was your friend and you were given the controller from his parents, you should keep it. Maybe you dont see the connection, but it could be something that will help you keep fond memories about him alive as time goes by.

I wouldnt mind getting it myself as its basically the last bit i need to have a complete collection of major nuon hardware, aside from other actual players than my 504, but it just feels wrong taking something that was given to you after your friend passed. Keep it.

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, if he was your friend and you were given the controller to him, you should keep it. Maybe you dont see the connection, but it could be something that will help you keep fond memories about him alive as time goes by.

I wouldnt mind getting it myself as its basically the last bit i need to have a complete collection of major nuon hardware, aside from other actual players than my 504, but it just feels wrong taking something that was given to you after your friend passed. Keep it.

Actually I never met him his family reached out to me after he suddenly passed wanting to make sure that his stuff got a good home. They said he would have wanted it that way.

jamesdavis80

Reaction score
I just found a nuon player for the first time, have a game, and all the DVD movies released with nuon support, but no controller. Always was interested in the system

dlang6487

Reaction score
Here's my short and sweet story;
My friend had a Nuon and Tempest 3000 growing up and I absolutely loved playing it! My parents wouldn't buy one because our VCR still worked fine. Fast forward to 2014, I found a Nuon in a thrift store as was delighted I got it for $20! I recently preordered and received a new print of Iron Soldier which I am unable to play without a controller. In addition, I burned a copy of Tempest 3000 which plays on the unit, but I cannot play it. I'd love to play both these games but the controller price is simply out of reach for me (I'm a high school teacher so we don't get paid a lot.) Thank you for considering me and to whoever gets it, I hope they'll enjoy the nuon as it really is an awesome system and was an awesome concept!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to leave this open for about a week then we will vote. Hopefully nobody is in England or the EU because of the crazy VAT thing going on it would be best if the winner was not in one of those crazy Brexit things.

atarigalore

Reaction score
I am going to leave this open for about a week then we will vote. Hopefully nobody is in England or the EU because of the crazy VAT thing going on it would be best if the winner was not in one of those crazy Brexit things.

if most people are going to vote for them selves then it will be just you picking the winner...... you should make the caveat that no one can vote for them self...

or you should just pick who gets it....

I meen if someone wants it all they would have to do is make multiple accounts with different sign up emails.

Last edited:

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it is going to hurt us, we could just put like a 10 dollar value on it, as far as the customs is concerned it's just a fricking pc controller. I doubt they have time to google that stuff

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Awesome prize - I'm not needing any controllers so I'll stay out of this one. I can't believe it's been so long since Mike passed. He & I were the same age. I was really enjoying watching him develop Nuance and helping test it.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think we are going to get any more people any time soon so we should probably vote. What is the best way to do it I wonder.... a poll or just vote in the thread....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.