Nuon homebrew demo

cdoty

Cool Member
Reaction score
Here's my first attempt at a demo on the Nuon. This is a port of the 3DO Invades demo.

NuonInvades.jpg

The demo includes the Nuon.cd and source code, and can be downloaded from http://www.rastersoft.net/Nuon/NuonInvades.rar.

Use the DPad to move the alien, and start to reset the demo. The remote is not supported.

Did anyone else have any issues with loading sprite data with SPRInstallTGAImage? It seems to be very sensitive to image sizes. In most cases, padding the image to a multiple of 8 pixels wide and tall seemed to solve the problem. Although, I had to use a multiple of 16 pixels tall in one case. And, initially, the problems didn't show up until the sprites were removed from the display list, and then re-added.

The next step is to look into getting this onto a signed DVD.
Will a DVD-RW work for testing a signed DVD? Should I use a DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W)?

cdoty

Cool Member
Reaction score
Also, as far as I know the authentication software to make a signed DVD hasn't been released or discovered. Unless you happen to have it?

The authentication tools file is on the DragonShadow Industries website. It contains tools to calculate the file system checksums and to sign (using RSA) the checksums. This sounds almost the same as the 3DO, except for the scrambling part; which isn't clear if it was actually used on games.

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just loaded it up - nice graphics and animation! I'd like to see a game in this style. If you decide to do more on the platform, expect good coverage here on the site :thup:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 679

cdoty

Cool Member
Reaction score
Just loaded it up - nice graphics and animation! I'd like to see a game in this style. If you decide to do more on the platform, expect good coverage here on the site :thup:

I was worried about a green line on the left side of the image. Nuance shows a green line, and I can't see the edge of the screen on the TV I use for testing.

I'm planning on releasing Frog Feast for the Nuon. The 3DO, Nuon, and NEC PC-FX will be the last systems that get a Frog Feast release. I am aiming for an August 20th release date (5th anniversary of Frog Feast).

After that, I have a game in early development that I plan to get working on the Nuon. The game mechanics work, it just a matter of actually creating a fun game.

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cool! Good news about Frog Feast - be sure to let me know when it's available and I'll share the news.

Updated the front page with news that it is forthcoming. Can't remember the last time I've had this much news to share in less than a week. lol

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Awesome - I will have to check this out sometime. I didn't expect to ever see anything new on the Nuon!

Serblander

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
* Invokes Necroposting Resurrection Spell *

Any updates on the development of any of the mentioned NUON projects? In particular Frog Feast?? (I did buy a first batch Atari Jaguar CD version of Frog Feast that was buggy and doesn't work :( so i STILL haven't even played it :mad: ) I'd love to be able to play it on the NUON...

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
I don't think a working update was ever provided. There has been zero Nuon dev for quite some time. It was very sad when the Nuance emulator Riff passed away - I don't recall any new dev work since then.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
No - I never did any large projects. I started out by fixing up some bugs in Chomp and adding a pause mode. Then others did much cooler stuff with it (maze editor, etc.) I only did a few small demos which showed how to get sprites on screen, read & configure the controllers, and do sound. If I had a good debugger I would have finished my Breakout clone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.