NUON Resurrection Checklist

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Get a decent working emulator based off of NUANCE

2. Get the authentication key for publishing new games - if we have to setup something like Scatologic did with a brute force method on the Jaguar we need to start now

3. Get the dev tools all in one place and a guide to use them - we definitely do not want to forget the Jeff Minter Sprite Library in this space. Nobody has really used them or reached out to him on what he thought we would be able to do with it.

4. Get in contact with the VM Labs people and see if they have anything they can give us that they have not yet. Richard Miller, we need an interview with him.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
That would be quite cool. I'd certainly consider jumping back into some dev with a good working emulator and debugging capabilities.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be quite cool. I'd certainly consider jumping back into some dev with a good working emulator and debugging capabilities.

Weren't you the one involved in the NUON Monopoly or is that someone else?

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Get a decent working emulator based off of NUANCE

2. Get the authentication key for publishing new games - if we have to setup something like Scatologic did with a brute force method on the Jaguar we need to start now

3. Get the dev tools all in one place and a guide to use them - we definitely do not want to forget the Jeff Minter Sprite Library in this space. Nobody has really used them or reached out to him on what he thought we would be able to do with it.

4. Get in contact with the VM Labs people and see if they have anything they can give us that they have not yet. Richard Miller, we need an interview with him.

so, how does the brute force method work on something like this.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't even know if it is possible to brute force the NUON like the Jaguar. Beyond my current technical skill. I am thinking the Authentication keys are out there they just might take a minute to turn up.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
i guess as owner of 3 dvdn501 players i would be ok with games even if they loaded like homebrews. :)

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh, there they are. Looks like the tools are not lost but they do not work in a modern environment. Having the tool is what is most important at this point though

Attachments

• authentication.zip
    38.1 MB · Views: 239

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
well, linux is free os just have to figure out if the version needed is still out there

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
nevermind, didn't realize the red hat had to have subscription

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
from just a quick google search, it says most stuff that runs under red hat linux will also be able to be made to run under ubuntu, so maybe this is a possibility given we can download lots of ubuntu versions. i had an ubuntu laptop, but it died in the flood few years ago. used it for my astronomy and ham radio stuff

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
The tricky part is that there's a big difference between Red Hat Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) which is the current iteration.

The old Red Hat Linux is before my time and I've never used it, but that's probably what they were using for NUON back in the day.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
The tricky part is that there's a big difference between Red Hat Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) which is the current iteration.

The old Red Hat Linux is before my time and I've never used it, but that's probably what they were using for NUON back in the day.
but what about it running under Ubuntu versions or other distros.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
but what about it running under Ubuntu versions or other distros.

No idea unfortunately. It would depend on what language was used, if the source is available, or if any modern libraries could actually run the binaries.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
i can find downloads available for ubuntu all the way back to version 4 which was 2004. I could probably download, but i would have no idea how to set this up to try and run it

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently the NUANCE emulator can do Tempest 3K totally playable. I have contact with a guy that knows about the Authentication tools and another guy that knows about old versions of linux and can setup emulation systems for certain environments. I am totally confident I can get the Authentication stuff working.

Reactions: K3V
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.