NUON Samsung N501, N504, N505 reading disc problems SOLVED!

T

T T

Hi all - some of you may recall a post I made in the old forum regarding a solution for disc problems in the Samsung Nuon players. We thought it was lost forever when the old forum died - well thanks to a Google cache I found, I thought it might be useful to repost it here, as it should be of use to someone. Kev - might be worth archiving this one on the main nuon-dome site?

I have some great news for Samsung N501, N504 and N505 users who are having problems reading either CDs, CDRs, DVDs or Nuon discs. I've discovered that the disc drive inside the machine is a standard unit used by Samsung worldwide in multiple players at the time.

If your Nuon drive gets flaky, you have only one choice really, and that's buy a new Nuon player - with prices increasing on Ebay and the Nuon players themselves becoming more scarce, you may be tempted to give up on the problem altogether.

So here's the soluton:

In my case, I bought a Samsung DVD-M105 (the M104 is the same too) from Ebay for the princely sum of eight UK pounds (about $15). You can see from this pic that it is a similar size to my N504, and the DVD drive tray is in a similar position:

DSC02373.jpg

Remove the covers (3 screws and some clips - easy) and you'll see that the drive in the M105 is identical to the drive in the Nuon player, and the connectors to the motherboards are the same:

DSC02375.jpg

Remove both drives (again 3 screws, a ribbon cable and a wired small plug):

DSC02377.jpg

Swap the drives over, rescrew your replacement drive into your Nuon, reinsert the ribbon cable and the plug, and away you go:

Here's my N504 with the new drive from the M105 playing a DVD:

DSC02378.jpg

A CD with VLM enabled:

DSC02379.jpg

A Nuon Disc:

DSC02382.jpg

All working with the drive taken from the different model. I have tested this in a N501 also, and it works perfectly.

There are undoubtedly other models in the Samsung DVD player range that will provide identical drive units - I guess you'll need a bit of investigative work to find other models. You are looking for a model that looks similar physically to the Nuon players, with the drive tray in the middle, towards the top of the machine and above the LCD display. Just search on Ebay for "Samsung DVD Player" and take a look at the pics. For example, here's a M105 going for peanuts:

Ebay Link

This is a great way to replace your broken Nuon player - standard Samsung DVD players are going for peanuts on Ebay over here in the UK (and I suspect elsewhere). So I now have a spare Drive unit for my N504:

DSC02383.jpg

And it cost me £8 plus postage - the player I bought has been trashed, which is a shame - but hey, for a few pounds I now have some security about extending the life of my Nuon. And the great thing? You don't need to solder anything or be a technical whizz to do this. Just use a bit of common sense and take your time. The trickiest bit is removing the front casing from the Nuon - its a series of clips so be careful not to snap them off. And before you start, eject the tray in your Nuon, leave it open and remove the triangular covering (it "snaps" off in an upwards direction).

Hope this gives some of you guys with disc reading problems a tidy and cheap solution!

Anyway, any questions, post here and I'll try to help.

Cheers

TT :)

B

bconner2

Hmmmm

Has anybody swapped drives in a N2000/gotten it to read copied movies?

S

ShaggysNUON

Hmm, this is what I should do with my N501 that refuses to read CDs. Thanks for the info!

T

T T

@ BConner2: My best suggestion would be to open it up and see if the drive looks like the ones I've pictured above. If so you're in business...

If not, search ebay for similar looking Samsung DVD players from around that era - I'll wager you'll find the drives used are universal..

A

AlexC

While I don't have problems with mine yet this is great tip for the future :)

T

T2KFreeker

While I don't have problems with mine yet this is great tip for the future :)

The only problem now is finding the DVD players themselves. Looked all over ther place and Nada. I can't even get the drive itself from Samsung!:mad:

T

T2KFreeker

Yeah, I just looked as I had actually found the site earlier also, but still, no luck there. I got a parts distribution warehouse number from Samsung, so I am going to see if they have the drive I need tomorrow. I hope so as I'd like to get to some Ballistic. Any more suggestions guys?:D

viMaster

Reaction score
There are a few m105s on ebay UK, but you'd have to message the sellers and ask if they'll ship to you. They only have UK listed as the shipment destinations.

edit - I also don't have a clue if the drive would be different. I wonder if there would be compatibility issues with different regions?

T

T T

T2K, I'd be happy to sort out a drive for you and post to the US if you are prepared to pay the costs.

The drives work on NTSC and PAL machines, I've tested the replacement sourced in the UK in a N501 and N504. The region coding appears to be programmed into the circuit board somewhere rather than in the drive itself.

Looking at Ebay.com, I'd say these Samsung DVD players would contain the drive needed to do this:

This one

This one

This one

And this one

No guarantees, but they appear to use the same drive.

TT

T

T2KFreeker

Damn you guys are hot! I appreciate the answers and suggestions. We may have solved the problem! NUON!!!!:D

T

T2KFreeker

DVD-S321 models will also work as they have the same DVD drive in them as well!:D My Nuon N-501 works like a dream now!<3 Just thought I would pass that on guys.

viMaster

Reaction score
DVD-S321 models will also work as they have the same DVD drive in them as well!:D My Nuon N-501 works like a dream now!<3 Just thought I would pass that on guys.

Thanks for the tip. If anyone else finds similar models that work, it's always helpful to be in the know. I'd like to pick one of some day just to have that spare drive for if (probably WHEN) the NUON one bites the dust.

cyberdemon

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Hi,What is the actual part number for the disc drive assy?On the top of the drive,i have a number of AH97-00714b which they call Assy-DVD DECK;DP-7,M.Down and on the side is another number:AH61-005338B,which they call a HOUSING-ASSY;DP-7,AB.Which part do i need?Samsung does not make these parts anymore but their is another place that has them.This is for a N-501.Do i need both parts or just one of the above?Thanks.

T

T T

I'm not sure how easy it is to disassemble that unit, so my preference would be to go with the full replacement unit frankly.

If you do want the individual part, then you'll need to find out which bit holds the laser unit, as that's the bit that goes awry over time.

Seems like a drag though - even from a cost point of view, I would imagine it would be cheaper to buy an old unit on ebay?

If you find out the part number and a supplier, post the info here - would be interesting to find out how you get on with this.

TT

cyberdemon

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Actually thats what i'm trying to do is see if the disc drive and the pick up assy is one and the same.The part:AH-00708A is that part(pickup assy).Nobody can tell me if it is the same,if it is then it can be bought for around 35 to 40 dollars.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.