Object Editor - Abilities

J

Jack_SSW

I have found a place that gives enough explanation on the Units section of the object editor, but I can't find any descriptions for Ability data fields.

Is there a place that provides these explanations, or do I have to just ask specific questions and hope that someone on the forum has experimented enough with the data fields in question? Or do I have to just experiment on my own?

Thanks in advance!

C0mput3r

Reaction score
Well I think you'll have to ask, since even though some fields are very general to all spells. (Like Data-Manacost) However specific spells sometime have specific fields(Like Channels Data-Options)

T

Tubba

The Abilities field is a mishmash of useless fields, animation tags, and god knows what. I still don't get along with it.

J

Jack_SSW

Just ask, what do you need to know?

I just wanted to look over what I could do in ability creation. If I find something that I can't figure out, I know where to ask.

Well I think you'll have to ask, since even though some fields are very general to all spells. (Like Data-Manacost) However specific spells sometime have specific fields(Like Channels Data-Options)

Yeah, I guess that's the problem with Warcraft 3, there is a lot of inconsistencies.

The Abilities field is a mishmash of useless fields, animation tags, and god knows what. I still don't get along with it.

Tell me about it. How did those silly programmers over at Blizzard keep track of all the fields in that object editor?! Especially without even a few comments... >_<

J

Jack_SSW

Also, a somewhat different question, why is it that editing a text field takes longer to process than editing art fields? And is there a why to speed up this processing? I am using the full PJASS pack with Grimoire and what not, but it was this slow even before I used that.

Onnings

Reaction score
Here's a guide over the various fields in Ability creation. It should give you a decent enough view over what you can manipulate.

Far from all fields are neccessary to manipulate. That guide might give you some pointers as to what's neccessary for your desired effect and what's not, or you could do like me and learn through countless hours of trial and failure, as well as logic reasoning.

The basics aren't too complicated, really.

Edit: I just read now that the Data-fields aren't included in that tutorial I linked.

Well, simply put - The data fields in the various abilities decide how the abilities affect their targets - Damage done, slowing done, duration stunned, mana cost, cooldown and so on and so forth. It's important to realise that not all abilities have the same Data fileds though - they only incorporate the Data fields of the effects the original ability contains. The best way to figure this out is to get to know Warcraft 3 properly, so you know how these abilities work in the base game. For instance, if you've played as a Human using the Paladin hero, you should know some basics about Holy Light, such as approximate ammount healed per rank, mana cost and range. Using this knowledge, you can easilly figure out what field does what in the Object - Ability editor, and work your way from there.

J

Jack_SSW

Here's a guide over the various fields in Ability creation. It should give you a decent enough view over what you can manipulate.

Far from all fields are neccessary to manipulate. That guide might give you some pointers as to what's neccessary for your desired effect and what's not, or you could do like me and learn through countless hours of trial and failure, as well as logic reasoning.

The basics aren't too complicated, really.

Thanks, really appreciate it! I already spend so much time trying to get simple things to work correctly, only to find out there was either a much easier way, or the solution would be much more complicating than it was worth. I hope I can avoid at least a little more of that if I can.

Reaction score
Also, a somewhat different question, why is it that editing a text field takes longer to process than editing art fields? And is there a why to speed up this processing? I am using the full PJASS pack with Grimoire and what not, but it was this slow even before I used that.

Under the "window" tab on the main window, untick brush list.
That should quicken text field editing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.