Offical state of TheHelper

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The server hard drive did die, and all data was gone. All we received was a short notice, and a statement that we would be allowed to restore our backups soon. There was little aid from the old hosting company to resolve this issue.

So yes, somebody did "set the server up the bomb".

Normally we do backup sites more than 3 months at a time. But please understand TheHelper.net is several gigs in size. There were several failed backup attempts that take hours to download, usually fail in timeout.

The last, full backup I had was from January.

Instead of restoring the site on the old host, Logical and I decided to restore it on our new, dedicated server with silkroadforums. This caused some delay (umm....couple weeks?) in restoring the site.

It was a team effort to reupload the massive backup, unpack it, and restore all SQL databases.

The tutorial site is still offline, and thats my next project.

Having said that, I now offer our formal apologies. Our laziness and procrastination of moving to the new server has really hit hard. Discussion of moving the site occurred only a week before this happened. Had we moved quicker, we could have avoided this fate. I will take some blame for that, having offered to move the site.

I understand some are upset about lost posts. It is sad indeed. But we worked very hard to give you back TheHelper. Posts are lost but the site still stands. And I am sure the great community here will help us all rebuild. TheHelper will always be on the top of my favorites list.

Dont be so quick to turn your back on everything we've done here.

Rest assured, we have learned some hard lessons.

...LOL Christmas banner. Thats awesome. Now I remember why I loved this place so much.

If you lost post counts or rep...

Post your old rep and post count here.

They can help you adjust your previous rank. If your account was created after January, re-make your account and let them know.

Thanks - Love you. :D

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Tis good to see the site back up, didn't think you'd manage to get back to this state :).

The only bad thing to do with posts is all the tutorials (atleast some people remade them though :shades: ).

Someone should edit the banner so that Christmas is crossed out with a red line and Mayness is written above it ;).

~Jindo

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
good job, many thanx

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Well my maze and terraining tutorials were ok.

I managed to rewrite the TH.net guide without googling a cache (I had the pics in a folder).

~Jindo

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome job here Ryoko and TH. I'm glad to see it's back online. I hope the Tutorial site gets fixed. By the way, what are Google Caches ? I had a back-up of my tutorial but I format my computer so it is gone now :p

You guys are so dedicated ! And don't even think I blame you... I'm happy to see this site live again that's all that matters ! :eek:

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
How do we find cached studd again? I'l like to get back the info on Warcraft wars, instead of having to re-write it.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Tutorials site is back online. There are still some bugs but the majority of the content is there. If you are not seeing it that means DNS has not propogated to you but it will shortly. Thanks to SD_Ryoko for that - trouble tickets are the way to go dude :)

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Having said that, I now offer our formal apologies. Our laziness and procrastination of moving to the new server has really hit hard. Discussion of moving the site occurred only a week before this happened. Had we moved quicker, we could have avoided this fate. I will take some blame for that, having offered to move the site.

No apologies are necessary, everyone loves what you have done for this community, and I trust no one will express negativity in your direction.

thehelper.net is a free service, and maintained through the goodwill of the community who frequents it. Therefore if anyone starts whinging they will get a kick up the backside from me.

its okay to feel depressed about losing stuff, banging your head on the table and whatnot, but I certainly don't want to see anyone complain, especially not against specific individuals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.