Discussion Official Bitcoin thread

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A long time ago I setup my next door neighbors graphics card to run bitcoin mining and he got like 7 bitcoins from it. About a month ago he bought a truck with 1 bitcoin. IMHO stupid to waste something that was rising so much but basically all the bitcoin he had was free so whatever in the end if it all crashes he has the truck. I wish I would have done it for myself but unfortunately I did not have the level of graphics card he did.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Man. Bitcoin mining like 10 years ago. The dream.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
The pandemic is turning fracking companies into Bitcoin miners

2020-03-19T154411Z_992498832_RC23NF9DDHQO_RTRMADP_3_GLOBAL-OIL-e1617040376615.jpg

In 2018, the global cryptocurrency market had crashed, and Sergii Gerasymovych was looking for a way to keep his Bitcoin mining company afloat. He eventually settled on a plan to make money while cleaning up two notoriously climate-polluting industries.

Gerasymovych’s biggest headache—as for all Bitcoin miners—was the price of electricity. Bitcoin miners compete against one other to unlock coins by solving increasingly difficult math problems with fleets of computers. This consumes a lot of power globally: about as much as Argentina each year. Bitcoin miners’ profit margin largely relies on the gap between electricity bills and Bitcoin’s value; if the latter drops, the only way to make up the margin is to curb the former. That’s why so much of the world’s cryptocurrency mining is tied to low-cost coal and hydroelectric plants in Asia. Gerasymovych was hunting for cheap power in the US, and stumbled on an intriguing source: Flare gas from natural gas wells. Now, a number of market trends are converging to propel a nascent industry in gas-powered Bitcoin.

More about it here: https://qz.com/1988503/bitcoin-miners-and-fracking-companies-are-working-together/?utm_source=YPL

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
First bitcoin I ever bought was at $1700 like 3 years ago. Day traded for 2 years and ended up in the same financial place that I would have been in if I had just held the bitcoin and not traded lol. Lesson learned. Too bad I ended up selling it and it's now like 60k.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Bitcoin price has gone down quite a bit recently on Elon Musk and the environment stuff. 43,518.30$ down almost 20k LOL! Makes big headlines but seriously people it just means time to buy. Only way for any normal people to make money on bitcoin is for it to drop in price and drop it will. It always has. Does anyone look at graphs? I remember when they were buying a pizza with bitcoins. It will come up again....

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
Yeah I've got a bit just sitting there. I remember giant 80% drops in value. I'll ride my meager holdings all the way down to zero if that's where it goes.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score

Bitcoin surges to top $59,000, putting it within striking distance of all-time high​

Bitcoin (BTC) surged on Wednesday to break above $59,000, putting it within striking distance of its all-time high as enthusiasm for the world’s largest cryptocurrency reached a level last seen during a 2021 boom.

The price of the digital asset is now up more than 15% on the week and 40% so far this year, due largely to excitement sparked by a series of spot bitcoin exchange-traded funds that started trading in January.

Bitcoin was up more than 5% at $59,396 at last check, touching its highest point since November 2021. The current rally is testing whether the price can be pushed closer to its all-time high of $68,789. That apex came six months before a spectacular crash in 2022.

"Ultimately, what we're seeing is crypto is kind of rising from the ashes of the 2022 market," Ryan Rasmussen, a senior crypto research analyst for Bitwise Asset Management.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Bitcoin to $100K? The odds of it happening soon are…

Bitcoin’s price might remain in a consolidation phase for few more weeks before starting a bull rally.

Bitcoin’s [BTC] value has been somewhat in a consolidation phase near the $70k mark for quite a few days. If the latest analysis is to be believed, then investors might not witness an unprecedented price rise in the near term.

Therefore, AMBCrypto planned to check BTC’s metrics to see what to expect from it in the coming week.

Bitcoin has problems ahead

According to CoinMarketCap, BTC’s value just dropped under the $70k mark. The token’s value went down marginally in the last 24 hours. At press time, it was trading at $69,973.35 with a market capitalization of over $1.38 billion.

However, it was interesting to note that, despite the recent drop, over 97% of BTC holders were in profit. Additionally, as per IntoTheBlock’s data, the market for BTC was still bullish.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.