Sci/Tech Oil-eating microbe found in the Gulf of Mexico

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A group of researchers led by Terry Hazen, a senior ecologist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, have discovered a new species of microorganism. Hazen's team started research in May this year.

Their findings were based on more than 200 samples collected from 17 deep-water sites in the Gulf of Mexico between May 25 and June 2. The new species is distinctive for its oil-consuming activity in a wide range of conditions, and is playing a role in depletion of oil spills in the area.

Scientists had been puzzled by the disappearance of oil in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Detailed maps were made on how the spilled oil went underwater and how far it was spread; however, some of it seemed to have disappeared.

More other sources at WikiNews.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just pure coincidence that scientists haven't found out there really is an oil-eating bacteria out there, until now.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Well, if it's true,. The new bacteria do a good job :thup:

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
seems similar to how bacteria evolved after being exposed to waste water from a nylon factory.

Igor_Z

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Yes but the reserves of coal aren't indefinite... If we can make the process run in vice versa we could use a big amount of oil at our disposal at any time, which will further pollute our environment but it will be much cheaper in my opinion. Sure hope their lust for money doesn't get in the way of their humanity :)...
Don't know if I said it right but I think you know what I mean.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Yeah, it usually isn't worth it.
Only reason to do it if you need fuel but only have coal.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Another possible out come, is the bacteria becoming widespread, and reducing the amount of oil in the world. I doubt it will happen, but if it does, it will be bad for our oil supplies unless we, like you guys said, reverse engineer it.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Oil om nom nom nom nom nom nom

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.