Sci/Tech OMG: Russia entrepreneur looks for $$$ from ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
How much would you pay for a ;-)? A Russian businessman has trademarked the emoticon - or combination of punctuation marks - used to convey a wink in text messages and e-mail.

Oleg Teterin, president of the mobile ad company Superfone, said Thursday he doesn't plan on tracking down individual users following the decision by the federal patent agency.

"I want to highlight that this is only directed at corporations, companies that are trying to make a profit without the permission of the trademark holder," he said in comments to NTV.

Companies will be sent legal warnings if they use the symbol without his permission, he said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
This is pretty bullshit.

Its like if i trademarked the word "Hello" and said no one could use it. Ever.

Trademarking something you made, or an object is one thing; but trademarking a "word" (Emoticon) that tons of people use everyday is just ridiculous.

This shouldnt be allowed ^_^

Extra-Pwnage time: ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) (Yes, i do know that he doesn't care if individuals use it.)

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
^TWO HIT COMBO - ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

yeah seriously, how can you trademark something that has been in wide circulation for like a decade? I've owned phones that have that emoticon as a preset so if it's been sold and distributed to this day without a copyright I'm pretty sure it's free to use.

Seems like property and stocks aren't the way to invest these days... just go trademark someones language or culture to make a quick buck..... tomoro I'm off to trademark my brand new character design - jesus. I'd appreciate it if you guys stop using the likeness of my holy crusader in your religions please.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Wow... this is just stupid. What has this world come to?

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Excuse me, but I have just trademarked "OMG"... Please stop using it, or I will have to charge you per view, Enouwee :rolleyes:

Prediter[BuB

Reaction score
Who has the right to let him trademark this? He didn't invent the emote. And it isn't anyone's to give away.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How would I go about trademarking the word 'the'?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
/sigh

Note for the future: Don't reply to threads spam bots just posted in (I deleted the post then replied).
Oops. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.