Technology OpenAI launches ChatGPT Plus, starting at $20 per month. Free tier will continue to stay.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Aiming to monetize what’s become a viral phenomenon, OpenAI today launched a new pilot subscription plan for ChatGPT, its text-generating AI that can write convincingly human-like essays, poems, emails, lyrics and more. Called ChatGPT Plus and starting at $20 per month, the service delivers a number of benefits over the base-level ChatGPT, OpenAI says, including general access to ChatGPT even during peak times, faster response times and priority access to new features and improvements.

The free ChatGPT tier is here to stay — it’s not going away. As for ChatGPT Plus, it’s only available to customers in the U.S. at the moment. OpenAI says it’ll begin the process of inviting people from its waitlist in the coming months and look to expand Plus to additional countries and regions “soon.”

“We launched ChatGPT as a research preview so we could learn more about the system’s strengths and weaknesses and gather user feedback to help us improve upon its limitations,” OpenAI wrote in a blog post. “Since then, millions of people have given us feedback, we’ve made several important updates and we’ve seen users find value across a range of professional use cases including drafting and editing content, brainstorming ideas, programming help and learning new topics.”

ChatGPT Plus might be the first of several plans to come, OpenAI hints. In the blog post, the company says that it’s “actively exploring” options for lower-cost plans, business plans and data packs in addition to an API.

“We love our free users and will continue to offer free access to ChatGPT. By offering this subscription pricing, we will be able to help support free access availability to as many people as possible,” the company continued. “We plan to refine and expand this offering based on your feedback and needs.”

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The ChatGPT thing is going to be huge. Once people figure out how to use it and what it is good and bad for, and with the advances that are most definitely going to be coming down the pipe I predict this is going to a game change probably bigger than Google.

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Currently I think this is the next crypto - something that a lot of people will be talking about, many people will gamble on, few people really understand, and with very little impact on how business works.

A chatGPT query right now is 2,000 times as expensive as a google search, and simultaneously a lot less informative. I don't see how it can become massively cheaper right now.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
When I said it was going to be bigger than google I was not thinking about search. I am talking about the other things that ChatGPT can be good at which is a lot more than just being a search engine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.