Operation Mayhold

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Currently working on the Weapons, Preview here, more info towards the bottom of the page (link to the post at the bottom of this post)

NNZG Weaponry Tests - 2 Weapons - Scene Test Environment
NNZG Weaponry Tests - 6 Weapons - Weapon Test Environment + Inventory
NNZG Weaponry Tests - 14 Weapons - Weapon Test Environment + Inventory

---

There is still alot to do on this, and alot of you will remember an older thread about this in The Graphics Zone.

I'm now in to the development stage of the game, I'm working around ideas for the game-modes, engines and zombies, and I'm looking for ideas from players :).

So, what sort of areas/weapons/zombies would you like to see in a zombie game?

Areas - Keep in mind that the game is set in an abandoned zombie infested city, there will be times where the player is outside the city, but the majority of the game will be based in the city, what sort of city locations do you think should be included? Think about outside and inside locations.

Current locations include Streets, Roads, Hospitals, Gyms, Stores and Houses (single rooms and entire buildings).

Weapons - Most ideas for this will be accepted provided that they're not over-powered, if they are in some way unbalanced, but I like the idea, I'll simply adjust them how I see fit.

The minimum is a name and brief description about the weapon. Additional features that you might want to include about your weapon are its history (where it originated etc) and perhaps a sketch of your weapon on paper/in paint/whatever image program you have (again, this is optional), your username will be listed in the credits if you contribute for this :).

Zombies - I've got most zombie ideas down, it's a matter of adding the odd extra zombie, don't count on (m)any suggestions for this getting put in to the game, but by all means let me know of your suggestions, it might just work.

There's also a chance that I'll add them as some kind of easter egg, even if they don't fit in to the game. Again, contributors will have their name listed in the credits, regardless of whether or not their ideas are added :).

---

Below is a video preview of the test level that I'm using to test all features I add, this level won't appear in the finished game (unless you really want it ;P).

The video also includes the new Video Annotations, since I found a use for them :) (Describing the video to people during the video, for those who just don't read the author comments).

Youtube Video - Explosions, Sewers and Sharks

[YOUTUBE]41z4PKuYk4U[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41z4PKuYk4U

Youtube Video - Environment Tests

[YOUTUBE]1JTn5Yb-WZs[/YOUTUBe]

(Youtube Link)

Screenshots:

Here's Denfer, taking the dog(s) for a walk:

dogzombiesarereallu8.png

Here we have the sewers, and our first shot of the Shark Zombie:

sewers0001ly5.png

And here we have a perfectly safe and tidy road:

explosiontest0004wj2.png

Unfortunately...

explosiontest0003ts0.png

explosiontest0001kn0.png

explosiontest0002qm8.png

Such a waste... :rolleyes:

---

Weaponry Update Info
6 Weapons + Level Update Info

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Is it still called mayhold?

I guess you could call that the code name and the name of the abandoned city for now, if you want to refer to the game with out having to call it something like 'that zombie game that doesn't have a name yet', feel free to call it Mayhold for now :).

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Sounds awesome. One thing that makes these games great are the weapons. There is nothing funnier than blasting apart zombies with a really, really big gun.

Also the music was awesome, somehow reminded me of Half-life 2.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
HL2's Ravenholm is pretty much what inspired me to make this :), though I just found that song on Newgrounds. Stephen is (as always) composing the music for the game :).

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Looks awesome, I used this song myself once for a wc3 game...

Suggestions:

Area: Perhaps an abandoned baseball field (if it's a big city then a stadium). I'd think it would be a good contrast, to show something usually so active now completely empty.

Weapon: I think it would be awesome to have some type of laser-ish cannon. It would take a second or two to charge up but when released, any zombie in it's way get's blown to pieces.

Zombie: Even though you said you're set on zombies, maybe one covered in bulging sacs filled with some nasty fluid, and when shot, the fluid sacs explode. If you're too close the explosion of fluid, you'd be wounded.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Looks awesome

Thanks ;D.

I used this song myself once for a wc3 game...

Interesting.. I thought when I found this song that nobody else had used it ;P.

Suggestions:

Area: Perhaps an abandoned baseball field (if it's a big city then a stadium). I'd think it would be a good contrast, to show something usually so active now completely empty.

That's a great idea, the city isn't so big, so a baseball field will do nicely :)!

Weapon: I think it would be awesome to have some type of laser-ish cannon. It would take a second or two to charge up but when released, any zombie in it's way get's blown to pieces.

I plan to add laser guns and such eventually ;).

Zombie: Even though you said you're set on zombies, maybe one covered in bulging sacs filled with some nasty fluid, and when shot, the fluid sacs explode. If you're too close the explosion of fluid, you'd be wounded.

I already thought up a zombie similar to that, it's basically contaminated by a more chemical strain of the zombie virus, which causes it to explode upon heavy collision (bullet to body, falling etc), if you stand near the explosion you become poisoned temporarily, you also take contact damage, thanks for the idea though :).

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
What could be a cool menu would be the options along the bottom, and the screen would be a broken window looking out of the town, sometimes zombies and what not walk by. Then, when you select an option, a peice of glass from the windown falls on to the option.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea ;O.

I'm trying to keep the options on the side, but I could have the video playing behind a window (which I just noticed that the video has trouble playing for some reason, probably because it can't load online, I'll fix this shortly.)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
A nice little update presenting a newly animated Zombie...:

The Nuclear Zombie

The Nuclear Zombie said:
The Nuclear Zombie is 1.5x larger than the average human, due to its weight, it is incredibly slow and is unable to perform any violent movements such as punching or smacking, however, it is capable of flailing its arms aound in order to maneuver.

Despite not being able to attack, The Nuclear Zombie carries a deadly gas, contact with these gases can pass on the nuclear strain of the zombie virus, or simply poison you to death.

The Nuclear Zombie is also very prone, any contact with fast moving objects will cause The Nuclear Zombie to explode, the explosion can fataly harm anyone with in a certain radius, side-effects include poison, zombie-like behaviour, loss of vision, hearing, ability to speak, ability to move and ability to think.

The general public is advised not to shoot The Nuclear Zombie, or atleast not in close range; Like any zombie, keep your distance, set up a barricade and hide until rescue units arrive. Disregard this paragraph if you happen to be a member of a rescue unit.

[ This information was brought to you by the Zombie Anhilliation and Disposal Squad (Z.A.D.S) ]

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
A huge update proving that I've done actual work on the game, the work being on the weapons system.

Since this is the first game I've ever included weapons in, I'm expecting them to be full of glitches, but I've fixed all of the major things thus far :thup:!

I've currently drawn up and implemented 2 weapons (which can be switched to by the 1 and 3 number keys (dunno if it works on the numpad yet))

These weapons (designed by a friend who knows much more about guns than I do) are titled "M-284a" and "Deagle 24"*, both very different weapons.

The deagle is a slow shooting weapon with very good damage against the zombies.

Where as the m-284a is a fast shooting weapon which does very small amounts of damage per bullet.

I've yet to add any form of headshot system yet, but it's coming along with the surprise (which has something to do with the "broken" zombie icon in-game).

---

Aim with the mouse and fire with the mouse, R to reload, and 1 and 3 to switch between the 2 current weapons, more are coming :).

Basically, there's going to be weapon categories, and being that you don't have a bottomless backpack which can carry every weapon that you find...

...You will be limited to 1 weapon of each category (each category is assigned a key from 0-9, depending on how many categories there are (Haven't design all of the weapons yet).

That's all I can think of typing for now, here's the preview:

Weaponry Test

NOTE: Reload is instant, I did this to make up for the delay between shots on the deagle and weapons to come, and yes, you can hold R down to constantly reload, it works both ways, if you're willing to hold R down whilst fighting a (currently not so lively or deadly) zombie horde, then so be it ;P

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Something is wrong with the jumping. I cant jump alot for some reason.

Be more specific? What exactly do you mean by you can't jump alot?

Regardless, I'm looking for glitches based on the weapons at the moment ;O.

Anman64 said:
Very nice, but you gotta add an AK-47.

Eh, maybe, I have no clue about these weapons so yeah, I'll try ;P.

(the M-284a is supposed to be a sniper according to my friend's designs... I chose to use it as a rapid-fire gun since snipers aren't going to be alot of use in these levels)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Bumping with another major update:

Weapon Selector

WASD to move - Mouse to Aim and Shoot - R to Reload - M and Z to spawn zombies - Number Keys 1 to 4 to switch weapons

Not such a big deal, you might think, but I've now got a total of 6 weapons/utilties, allow me to take a moment and go through the new weapons (in order of where they appear in the inventories)...

Nail Gun - Due to the below average ammunition of a rapid-fire gun and bad-accuracy, this weapon is not very ideal for killing zombies, however it does a good deal of damage if you're looking for a last resort!

Trigger Gun - Late 21st Century Key/Anti-Zombie Trigger used in towns and cities to incinerate, crush and dispose of zombies in no-time, should any appear!

Heat Ray .6 - A gun holding a mini-canister loaded with concentrated liquid heat, fires the liquid heat in even more concentrated balls, dealing substancial damage to zombies and burning them in the process, say good bye to flame throwers!

P.1.N.G.U - A gun which is also known as "The Ultimate Anti-Zombie Flame Thrower", its original name was given due to its similarity to that of a penguin, spurts flames of up to 400 degrees farenheit, a sure-fire way to get rid of those pesky zombies in seconds!

HOW TO USE THE INVENTORY

¬ Pick one of the 4 boxes with weapons in them.
¬ The weapons for the chosen category will appear in the rectangle below, click on a weapon to view its info at the top.
¬ Once you have selected a weapon, Click "USE" (bottom-right corner of the rectangle to equip it)
¬ Repeat steps 1-3 until you're happy with your weapons.
¬ Press Space to move in to the Testing Level.

(In the style of those lame adverts you may see on TV, except the products actually work)

Grenades, Turrets, And so much more to come!

(EDIT: Forgot to copy the Refire bar to this version, I added it to a later version of the Scene test, but it's not public yet ;O)

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Looks awesome!
Can't wait to see another release!

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
It's just me or the weapon is not really how it should be? xD (see attachment)

Besides that, everything is awesome :thup:. I just didn't understood how the Trigger Gun works :(.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score

Basically, I can't get the player to face the direction he's moving with out major problems with both him and his weapon, so I'm going to leave it and say that he is firing the weapon backwards whilst moving forwards ;O (Most barricades will have him facing the correct direction anyway).

Besides that, everything is awesome :thup:. I just didn't understood how the Trigger Gun works :(.

Yeah the Trigger Gun is different to the others :), Think of the Trigger Gun as a key, and those green boxes you see as locks, where unlocking them causes the floor to overheat and thus burning all zombies :).

Give it a try ;O, spawn a bunch of zombies and fire the Trigger Gun at one of the green boxes ;D!

Thanks for the comments so far, keep them coming!

(Uploading a Youtube preview now, demonstrating all of the weapons)

duyen

Reaction score

You mean you've never fired an upside down gun? :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.