Overheating Isssue (Graphics card)

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
Hey, long time no post. I hope everyone's doing well around here.

My graphics card has recently decided to begin overheating. It reaches a temperature that makes the card too hot to touch with bare hands. Consequently, my computer locks up and I can play gamez. :(

Initially, I thought my fans may be malfunctioning, but all of them are working properly.

Yesterday, I downgraded the graphics card in an attempt to stop the overheating. However, the new graphics card overheated as well. I then added two fans on the bottom of the new graphics card and another one on top. Even with three new fans and all the original fans functioning properly, the graphics card still overheats.

I think this is an issue with either my powersupply or motherboard port. But, nothing on my computer is malfunctioning except the graphics card so i don't think it is my power supply.

So, before i run out and burn 40 or 100 bucks on a new motherboard i figured i'd consult you guys.

If you need any more information, i'll gladly let you know.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT : The fan on the graphics card itself functions properly.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
How do you know it's the GPU that's overheating? Seems strange that both your current and a downgraded one would be showing the same symptoms.

Have you cleaned out the heatsink on the GPU? Blowing compressed air through the fins towards the exhaust should get rid of most of it. You can also take off that plastic covering on the card if you want to clean it more thoroughly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.