Overheating issues.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I set CoreTemp to hibernate at 85 degrees Celsius.

It keeps on happening at games like CoD BO and Rome Total War (Because they use up a lot of its power)

This never happened when I had my Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz, but when I upgraded it to Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz, it started having heat issues.

The technician who installed my CPU said that the fan I had was better than the one in the box.

So I imagine it to be a decent one. At normal times, it'll be 56 degrees.

Do I need a better cooling unit? Do I need a better/more case fans if I do upgrade the cooling unit?

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
If this is a stationary then by god that's high, if it's a laptop it's still a bit high. Normal temperatures in no use are around 37 for me and 63 at full blast, i don't see how you even manage to achieve 85 on hibernate...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the CPU Cooler correctly installed? Have you over-clocked at all?

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
If this is a stationary then by god that's high, if it's a laptop it's still a bit high. Normal temperatures in no use are around 37 for me and 63 at full blast, i don't see how you even manage to achieve 85 on hibernate...

If stationary, you mean desktop, then yes, it is. When I mean hibernate at 85, I meant the program called CoreTemp initializes hibernation if the temperature stays at 85 for half a minute. I thought I had normal temps, but this worries me then. Temp right now is 59.

Is the CPU Cooler correctly installed? Have you over-clocked at all?

I'm not sure, but since he's a technician, he should know. I haven't yet, though I am planning as soon as I fix this issue.

I don't really want to bring this suspicion up because I don't know how I could fix this, but it felt like the technician didn't put the thermal paste properly. He just squirted a pack of it on the center and then squished it with the CPU cooler. I don't think it would be spread out evenly.

Another thing is, my PC is stuffed with two CD Drives, three hard drives and a 9800GT video card. The casing isn't really that built for that much but I added a fan on the bottom front as air intake, a fan on the top side as air outtake, a fan on the top back as air outtake too and also a PSU that also acts as air outtake.

The CPU is very near the top back, PSU and top side fans. (More on the top back and PSU)

So, my guess is that the CPU cooling unit isn't good enough?

Anyway, I'm willing to spend as long as the PC becomes safe again.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Yes please do, this is dangerous overheating for the CPU. You should replace the fan as soon as possible and try not to use you're computer too much so that something doesn't get damaged. Surfing on the internet and light activity should be okay until you get a fan.

Another thing that concerns me is that even if the fan is bad it shouldn't go to 85, do a double check first if the fan is properly in place (So that it can not move in ANY direction, not even a milimetre almost).

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What I don't get is:

Aren't all CPU coolers designed to cool the processors to a safe level, no matter how old the cooler is?

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
No, core 2 quads exhaust a lot more heat than core 2 duos. Thus, the stock cooler on the Core 2 Quad is much better than that of the core 2 duo.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Aight, I'm going to buy a better cooler for the CPU.

It's always sticking at 60-75 celcius.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
75C is nothing to worry about.

beside it could make some noise .

Are you kidding? It's a CPU not a GPU, 75 idle is highly excessive, those are temps I wouldn't be happy about even under heavy load. o_O

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a CoolerMaster Vortex 752 and TX2 Thermal Paste.

Culprits are the following:
CPU Cooler is shit.
Stock Thermal Paste was used, thus it equaled to shit.

It's 33 celcius at recent boot up, 40 at idle times and 48 when browsing the web and stuffs.

I still have to try playing COD Black Ops with it and see how hot it goes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.