Defense Panda Wars PRIMAL-X Project. Need advice.

yami-joey

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Panda Wars Primal-X PROJECT
---------------------------

Hey guys. My name is yami-joey and I'm new to the forums. I just thought of an interesting map, and it's the Panda Wars Primal-X. It features 11 Panda Heroes with different abilities (1 Bonus Skill, 3 Normal Skills, and 1 Ultimate). BUT, I'm still a newbie to mapmaking and would like to obtain feedback from the "more professional" ones in The Helper.net.

You see, I'm also an avid player of DotA-Allstars. A lot of the people in our community are, too. One day, I introduced the map I made (Panda Wars Primal-X) to my friends and they loved the gameplay. Since then, we formed TEAM RADICALS, and our goal is to: Create a game as fun as DotA in public games but fills in the stuff that lacks it (Examples are Special Effects, action, and sheer fun). We would play it in the internet cafes and spread the news about the game (only in our place, though. Have little plans on posting it on the web).

Here's an example of a hero in the game:
------------------------------
Riyu-san, the Ninja Girl Panda
------------------------------
Classification: Melee, Agility

UNIQUE SKILL:
Poisoned Dagger - Whirls a dagger at a target, poisoning him for 15 damage per second and slowing his MS. (C)
[Base Ability: Shadow Strike]

Skill 1 - Ninja Walk: Riyu-san becomes invisible, gains movement speed and deal backstab damage (W)
[Base Ability: Wind Walk]

Skill 2 - Paralyze: Paralyzes an enemy unit with a secret ninja technique (R)
[Base Ability: Storm Bolt]

Skill 3 - Agility Scroll: Emits a flaming aura, increases Attack Speed and Movement speed drastically as well as a 75% cleave attack on attacks. (E)
[Base Ability: Berserk]

Ulti - Smoke Powder: Slows enemy movement speed (T)
[Base Ability: Thunder Clap]

So, since we would be considering the voice of the majority of people here (Most especially the Filipino, since I'm Pinoy) I'd like to ask questions about the development of our game:

1. Retain the name PANDA WARS or transform it into a new game with different heroes?

Where the majority of people would like the game (most especially my classmates; I'm 15 years old.) Names that come into my mind are GODS AND SINISTRALS where you control the Gods and Goddesses from Greek Mythology; TIMELINE WARS where heroes from the past, present and future could fight in war (think for example: Zeus, Rylai Crestfall, Pikachu, Raijin Thunderkeg, Naruto and a Terrorist from Counter Strike fighting or something)

2. Hero Defense, Hero Arena, or a mixture of both?

Well, since a lot of people here play DotA, a lot also play Fight of Characters, so I'm thinking--what if I collide both concepts in a same map? In addition to towers, first bloods and hero kills, there would be 1-on-1 duels, mini-games, gold coins and vodka or something. HOWEVER, there is one problem...I'm still new to map-making (though I'm a quick learner) so these stuff would be difficult to do.

3. Retain DotA Items or create a whole new world of item recipes?

Since it would be hard for people to adapt to new item builds these days (Lol, people still build Diffusal and forget that it isn't needed in Manta Style anymore: DotA 6.60), I was thinking of retaining the old items in DotA so it would be easier. If I would add items, I would but still come from the base items such as the Quarterstaff, Broadsword, Staff of Wizardry, etc.

4. Action or Strategy?

Difficult question...people here play DotA only for their OWN SAKE, not for TEAMPLAY which is what DotA is all about. But since DotA lacks action, this could be an advantage for the map I'll be creating. DotA's kind of somewhat slow-paced (unlike the Hero Arena games such as the Bleach vs. One Piece, Fight of Characters), though thrilling and fun because of concepts of last-hitting, denying, considering your mana.

What I thought of doing would be to retain the Hero Respawn time to a constant 5 seconds the whole game so people wouldn't consider Alt+QQ. Add awesome special effects, decrease cooldowns by a mile (ultimate cooldown ranges only from 40-65 seconds) and no passive skills. Therefore, action and strategy would be balanced.

5. Insert DotA Heroes or no?

I was thinking of putting the heroes from DotA-Allstars (that are easy to code) and put them in my map so people could play them. Heroes that may be easy to code are Sven, Lina, Lion, Anub'arak, Traxex, Centaur, Gondar, Mangix. BUT it MAY be a waste of time.

So, what do you think? What do YOU want in a Hero Defense game? What do you think the majority of people would like to play so that they WOULD play it and it would be in their heads all the time like DotA? (There may be no way to do that, but who knows? A 15-year old may be able to do it.)

ShadowStrk

Reaction score
Your current skills are very basic, and do not seem to have any "special" effects.

If you're talking about special effects, perhaps something flashier than FoC or BvO, your map currently sounds like a clone of either DotA and FoC/BvO.

However, with all that being said, so long as you put time to it, it has potential.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
They better be all Panda. Pandas = :thup:
Already a cool Panda map(s) that's an arena and AoS, which are both good.
So work hard on this, pandas deserve it, lol.
You don't have to look after DotA for everything, maybe a few items here and now, but new custom ones would only be confusing for like the first time.
And is this a Defense or an AoS?

^Post #2 above me summarizes is well, lol^

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I say don't take heroes out of DotA. That may get you more players. But I would be pissed of I played what I thought was a unique hero arena, but it had the like 10 different DotA heroes.

yami-joey

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
thanks!

They better be all Panda. Pandas = :thup:
Already a cool Panda map(s) that's an arena and AoS, which are both good.
So work hard on this, pandas deserve it, lol.
You don't have to look after DotA for everything, maybe a few items here and now, but new custom ones would only be confusing for like the first time.
And is this a Defense or an AoS?

^Post #2 above me summarizes is well, lol^

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Hey thanks a lot. Actually, I'm going to post a BETA of the map. There are currently 15+ heroes. 11 of which are pandas and 5 of which are not. My friends somewhat disagree with me of an "ALL PANDA" game, but hey...we played it in an internet cafe and the people who played DotA were STUNNED at the effects (An Earth Panda doing a Global Epicenter anyone?)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.