Report People who go vegetarian after reading a ‘life changing’ book tend to get back on meat within a year

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Choosing what to eat is rarely just a matter of taste. Thanks to unprecedented availability and choice, dinner has become a deeply moral concern, imbued with guilt, class connotations, politics and fear. To psychologists, this is a goldmine.

Coupled with a publishing trend of high-minded polemics against the industrialized food chain, all this makes for a rare opportunity to study how people discover new ethical principles, hold them firmly for a little while, and then abandon them.

Well-argued books like Michael Pollan’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma might feel “life changing,” according to a paper in the current Frontiers in Psychology. But people who went vegetarian and organic after reading it tended to get back on the burgers and junk food within a year.

That fleeting flirtation with strict virtue was the main finding of a study of university students assigned to read The Omnivore’s Dilemma, a 2006 book that inspired many to change their dietary habits.

As the authors put it with coy understatement: “Attitude change dissipated somewhat with time…”

Read more here.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Could have told you this after talking to some girls from my former school class.
They all went vegetarian at some point in time, but they all crawled back to get some meat sooner or later.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I'm a pretty strict vegetarian except when I want something other than a salad.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not vegetarian at all. I just hate vegetables and try to punish their whole species by ripping them apart and eating them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.