Health Placebos Help Even When Patients Know About Them

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
While everyone is aware of the "placebo effect" in medicine, where a patient believes the sugar pill he is taking is real medicine and sees an improvement in symptoms, is it possible to experience the "placebo effect" even if you know the medicine isn't real? According to a new study published in the December 22 issue of PLos ONE, the answer is "yes."

In a small trial of 80 patients suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, researchers from Harvard Medical School's Osher Research Center and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center discovered that even when patients knew they were taking placebos, they still got better. The patients were divided into two groups. One group received no pills, while the other group received placebos and was clearly advised they would be taking sugar pills. Nevertheless, after three weeks, in the group of patients receiving placebos, almost twice as many of them reported symptom relief when compared to the control group.

While many American doctors administer placebos without telling their patients and see results, this latest study is the first of its kind. "We wanted to find out if it's possible to administer a placebo without lying about it," lead study author Dr. Ted Kaptchuk, associate professor of medicine at Beth Israel and Harvard Medical School, told AOL Health. He says his team also wanted to see if they could help health-care providers understand that patients often get better just because they feel they're being cared for.

Last edited:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder how the results of patients who are unknowingly taking a placebo compare to these.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
There could be a news in the future that might say:

D:< Hey! Why are you lying to us that these pills are placebos? These are actually the cure to our diseases!

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
I've always wondered if doctors actually used placebos with patients. I wonder if they tell them afterward.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Well, As long as it doesn't harm patients.

I've always wondered if doctors actually used placebos with patients. I wonder if they tell them afterward.
I think its forbidden for a doctor to treat Patients with placebos medicine
Without telling them.

FireCat

Reaction score
Seriously, Are they insane? Well, If something terrible happens? hmm

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
Seriously, Are they insane? Well, If something terrible happens? hmm

I'm sorry, but during all the time I've lurked here I noticed that most of your comments in the news are face-palm worthy.

Yes, something terrible is going to happen from sugar. I think we need a new bill, that says you need a doctors referral to buy gum.

FireCat

Reaction score
Yes, something terrible is going to happen from sugar.
:rolleyes: What the hell
Have you ever thought that, If a doctors would give a placebos to patients and patients was seriously sick of a disease.
Than can you imagine Yourself, what Could have happened.

shinami

Reaction score
:rolleyes: What the hell
Have you ever thought that, If a doctors would give a placebos to patients and patients was seriously sick of a disease.
Than can you imagine Yourself, what Could have happened.

Alright. Say someone has a serious disease. The doctor gives a placebo to rule out paranoia induced symptoms. Patient doesn't respond, goody, now it's safe to get him on the regular medicine.

Say the patient did, in fact, have symptoms induced by paranoia. If you don't know what that is, I'm sure most people had this:
You browse the net reading about symptoms and suddenly you feel as if you've got them, tho you don't really.
So now according to your theory, you give him the regular medicine, even tho he's not sick. Guess what, now he's really going to be sick.

Placebos are used on diseases, that have symptoms that can't be spotted by the doctor, that is, symptoms described by the patient, which he might be feeling due to paranoia (random aches and etc.) which is why placebos are used. Also placebos are commonly used on teenagers, who, supposedly, are suffering from "depression". But often it's just teenagers being whiny, not real depression. And you can't give anti-depressants to people who are not depressed.

No one is going to give a placebo for cancer, malaria or a broken leg, because you can't get a tumor, a horrible fever or a broken bone, just by thinking about it. Most serious diseases have visible signs.

There are only 2 cases when a placebo might hurt a patient(imo).
1. Patient has diabetes, and placebo has sugar. Might do bad.
2. Patient chokes on pill. But he would of choked on regular medicine just as much, so yeah.

Also, placebos can help even with serious diseases. It gives hopes. As cliche as that sounds, it has been proven scientifically, that someone who thinks he will get better, will, infact, get better faster. And the opposite of this is, as already mentioned, symptoms induced by thinking about symptoms.

FireCat

Reaction score
Patient doesn't respond, goody, now it's safe to get him on the regular medicine.
If that would be too late? Can a doctor take such a risk?

No one is going to give a placebo for cancer, malaria or a broken leg, because you can't get a tumor, a horrible fever or a broken bone, just by thinking about it. Most serious diseases have visible signs.
What about heart conditions? And there's other hidden diseases.
Give some sugar and hope, that is Just a paranoid symptoms?

There are only 2 cases when a placebo might hurt
Nah, It's more than that!

Anyway, I don't say it's a bad thing about the Placebos treatment. But
a doctor must be 100% sure, before he give that treatment to anyone!
seriously!

And not playing like a mix of doctor and a mad scientist!
with someone's life!

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
...Do you know what a placebo is? It's nothing! it does absolutely nothing! They are often used to test theories on various drugs by giving them to a test group, that way both groups feel they are getting a drug.

I don't think it's that they give them sugar and "hope" it's just delusions. First off, the doctor's medical license is on the line. Second, it would be used to see that the patient isn't suffering mental disorder rather then a physical one. There are various drugs with rather severe side effects, I'd like to know that patients are being screened to make sure it's not just in their head.

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
:rolleyes: That's kind of volunteer thing. hmm

Yes, you may volunteer for a placebo, but by receiving one there is no harm in it. The only way a placebo could cause harm is if you took it and the doctor told you that it, the placebo, would make you immortal so you jump off a bridge.

shinami

Reaction score
1.If that would be too late? Can a doctor take such a risk?

2.What about heart conditions? And there's other hidden diseases.
Give some sugar and hope, that is Just a paranoid symptoms?

Nah, It's more than that!

Anyway, I don't say it's a bad thing about the Placebos treatment. But
a doctor must be 100% sure, before he give that treatment to anyone!
seriously!

And not playing like a mix of doctor and a mad scientist!
with someone's life!

1.Doctors aren't idiots. Like I already mentioned, placebos aren't given for diseases that can kill you very fast. They're given for long term conditions, or in later stages of more serious diseases, to increase the morale of the patient, thus increasing his recovery rate. Also, you're viewing this only from one side.

You say that doctors mustn't play mad scientist with a human life and shouldn't risk a patients life. Seriously? That's the whole point of a placebo. It's an unnecessary risk to give REAL pills for a disease that's non existent. You''ll just damage the organs, not to mention some medicine is designed to work under certain conditions, and if those conditions aren't in your body, shit can get bad real fast.

2. Heart conditions don't have visible signs ON THE OUTSIDE. There's all sorts of test to see if it's really a heart condition that's causing pain. Do you think you just walk into a doctors office and he gives you pills? You go through tests. Cardiogram is one of them, and it's one ways to see if there's a heart problem.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but during all the time I've lurked here I noticed that most of your comments in the news are face-palm worthy.

I second that...

Prescribing placebos is always done when it's safe to do so... (unless the doctor is lazy or whatever and prescribes them just because of whatever)

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I pop placebos every day. They are called christmas cookies. I pretend that they are actually very healthy for me, and if you could look at me now, you'd notice that I'm thin and getting thinner! Whoohoo!

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I pop placebos every day. They are called christmas cookies. I pretend that they are actually very healthy for me, and if you could look at me now, you'd notice that I'm thin and getting thinner! Whoohoo!
Well, if your BMI is less than 15, start thinking that Christmas cookies can make you fatter. :thup:

FireCat

Reaction score
Seriously, This study doesn't tell you anything.
And how about some details on the study? hmm
And how was the selection made on which would get the placebo or not?

They seeing a physician on a regular basis for their condition for free!
And most people will feel relief from a disease if they get free frequent visits
with doctors. NO?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
And how was the selection made on which would get the placebo or not?

Assuming this is a proper experiment, it was random...

I suggest you learn something before you say things.

The three things that make up proper experiments are random assignment, sufficient number of subjects and either a control or a comparison group.

You should learn this in math...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.