Play animation during casting time

Archideas

Reaction score
Is there any way to make a unit play a certain animation when it's casting a spell with a casting time? I have a spell with a 3 second casting time; under that time I want a certain animation played out before the spell is cast, which is channelled.

I've tried with different variations of,
Trigger:
  • Unit - A unit Begins channeling an ability

but that doesn't work. It won't play as the spell's being "prepared" to cast.

Hotwer

Reaction score
You can be more specific with what you want?
Post all the trigger can help alot.

Ashlebede

Reaction score
As far as I know, that's done in the object editor. Go to the very top of your ability's fields and you can see Art - Animation names. Change it to whatever your animation is, such as "spell,channel" or "spell,slam". Hope this helps. :D

Archideas

Reaction score
@ Hotwer, what I want is for my unit to play a certain animation during the cast time. My channeling spell has a 3 second casting time, meaning it takes 3 seconds before the spell takes effect. During those 3 seconds before the spell is channelled, I want a certain animation to be played. If you're interested in the trigger, here it is.

Trigger:
  • Diamond Dust Start
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins channeling an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Diamond Dust
    • Actions
      • Animation - Play (Casting unit)'s spell cinematic animation

@ Ashlebede, that's not what I'm looking for. I already have an animation being played when the spell is being channelled.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Have you tried:

Trigger:
  • Unit - A unit starts casting an ability

I know this seems like we're running through all the options...but when you look at it, this event seems the best choice. Starts channeling will only occur after the cast time and during the channel. Starts the effect will only occur once the actual effect happens (after the cast time obviously...because the ability has no effect during it's cast time). Starts casting however, might be at the very beginning of the ability.

I cannot test my theory because I'm not at home, so I'm afraid I'll have to leave you to do that.

Archideas

Reaction score
Yep, I've tried almost every variation of A unit begins casting an ability but to no avail, which is why I'm seeking help here now. :<

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Why not just set in the casting animation of the spell itself?
He's already said he has an animation specified for while the spell is channeling. Besides, most spells don't play the casting animation during the Casting Time...actually, I don't know of any that do other than Flame Strike. :confused:

Yep, I've tried almost every variation of A unit begins casting an ability but to no avail, which is why I'm seeking help here now. :<
I'm not aware of any event that fires at the beginning of a spell's Casting Time. :( There have been threads about this before, and I've never seen a solution. You might need to craft your own triggered casting delay system, or alternately, if this unit has only one spell (or if every spell will have the same casting delay), you could use a large value for the unit's Art - Animation - Cast Point, which will have Begins Casting firing at the start of the attempt to cast and Starts The Effect for when it actually casts.

Archideas

Reaction score
Yeah, I've searched through theHelper for an answer but apparently nobody knows how to accomplish this. :/

NotInTheFace

Reaction score
Kind of a random guess, but have you tried the "Issued an order targeting..." events? That might fire before the casting time.

Jedi

Reaction score
I tried this.

Trigger:
  • wtf
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Animation - Play (Triggering Unit)&#039;s channel animation

And it works.Maybe your unit doesn't have that animation?

Archideas

Reaction score
Jedi said:
I tried this.

Trigger:
  • wtf
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Animation - Play (Triggering Unit)&#039;s channel animation

And it works.Maybe your unit doesn't have that animation?

It does have that animation. Are you sure that animation is being played during the cast time? o_O

Jedi

Reaction score
Test guy:arch mage
Test skill:all of his skills with casting time
result: works =)

Archideas

Reaction score
I tried that myself, but no matter what animation I tried using with the Archmage he only did his Stand Channel when I put a cast time on his spells.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Why not make a dummy and have it cast a spell while you play the unit animation. If the unit animation is stopped before the spell ends stop the dummy as well?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.