Play offline w/o launching from the editor?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Is there a way to play a custom map or campaign offline, without starting the map from within the map editor?

I mean a way from within SC2 itself; I already know about MapCraft, and it's been intermittently non-functional (1.4 broke with an SC patch I think, but the current release, 1.5, works with the current beta version).

I'm not asking in order to get around having to sign on to Battle.net, I'm asking because online games seem to be plagued by an enforced ~200ms input lag[1] that ruins arrow key control and shooters, that doesn't manifest when testing the map from the map editor[2], and requiring someone to play a single-player map using Test Map doesn't seem reasonable.

[1] At least, I think I've read this, and I've experienced terrible, terrible damage input lag trying a couple shooter-style custom maps on Bnet.
[2] People creating these maps don't seem to have the problem as they're testing them. I haven't been able to confirm it myself, since Blizzard has not yet made the map editor available for Mac. This is also why I'm asking if there's a way to play custom maps offline without launching them from the editor.

Weep

Reaction score
Well, that's also not a way to do so within SC2 itself, plus it looks to be Windows-only.

RandomUser12

Reaction score
Drag and drop the map file onto StarCraft II.exe. This works on Windows, it should work on Mac too. afaik though it runs it the same as from the editor, so you cant test lag or anything, it just saves you having to open galaxy editor to play something.

Weep

Reaction score
Drag and drop the map file onto StarCraft II.exe. This works on Windows, it should work on Mac too. afaik though it runs it the same as from the editor, so you cant test lag or anything, it just saves you having to open galaxy editor to play something.

That would be perfect, but I can't open a .SC2Map file with the StarCraft II application, not by Open With... nor by dragging it onto the icon. :(

Weep

Reaction score
Rename the map extention to .s2ma
Doing so, SC2 accepts the drag, but launches to the "You are trying to login using a client version not recognized by the Battle.net service" screen, not to the map, unlike MapCraft which works but which I'm hoping to avoid needing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.