Playing ff14 when suddenly...

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
Yesterday I was playing FF14(first time playing it and I had the graphics maxed) when suddenly both of my monitors go black, and starts stuttering(for lack of a better word) making a static noise that I and even the people over skype could hear, for about 2 or 3 seconds, then everything comes back on, but everything is responding slowly. My game, everything on chrome would close or open really slowly.

Earlier that day I also had just gotten a second monitor so it was my first day running 2 screens.
Before then, I had never had this problem before.

I looked around the internet for people with similar problems, and I found that it was possibly the power supply, but I don't think that'd be the problem because I'm running a 750w PSU and 1 Nivdia 660, so I should have more then enough.

Anybody ever experience this before, and if so do you know what the problem might be?
I haven't used my computer extensively since, so I'm not sure if it was a 1 time thing or not.

in case its relevant, at the time I had these open:

Final Fantasy 14
Facebook
3-4 other tabs in Chrome
Razer Synapse 2.0
GW2 was sitting in the character selection screen
UltraMon

and my hardware specs are.
Intel i5 3570k IvyBridge 3.4GHz OC'd to 3.8
ASRock z77 Exteme4 Motherboard
16GB Ram
Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750M 750W PSU
Nividia 660

Cat

Reaction score
Even when you have a lot of RAM, you can run out of video memory. You may have to reduce your graphic settings to prevent this from happening again. Also, running GW2 doesn't help anything.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Even when you have a lot of RAM, you can run out of video memory. You may have to reduce your graphic settings to prevent this from happening again. Also, running GW2 doesn't help anything.

This. GW2, while not open and being used, as already allocated both RAM and vRAM space ... and a bunch of it, mind you! Try to stick to one game at a time. I can't imagine a 660 pooping out on FF14 like that.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. I just read about this as part of my openGL studies.
As it seems NVidia graphics cards simply crash when you try to allocate more vRam then is available. While AMD graphics cards just become horrendously slow by using normal Ram and swapping buffers.
So it might very well be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.