Poetry Contest 2!

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm proud to host the Poetry Contest [2]! So let's make this a good contest!

Previous Contests
Poetry Contest [1]

Judges

Krys A Night, Mizuio-Ken
Seth Cross will act as our "sudden death" judge, in the result of a possible tie.

Topic

You must write about a poem about a feeling that you have had. There are a number of ways to write about a feeling, from expressing the feeling to causing the emotion within the reader to painting a picture of the scenario which inspired the emotion within you. There is no limit to how you write the poem, just make sure it relates to the topic.

Rules

• You may submit any type of poem, so long as it relates to the topic stated above.
  • There is no limit on length.
  • It must be one that YOU have written, and it cannot be one that you've posted on this site previously. We cannot prevent you from posting an older poem, but it must be new to this site.
  • Any copying of another member's poem, or copying of any previously-written poem [even if you wrote it] will result in disqualification. You will also be banned from the next few Poetry Contests, provided we continue this tradition.

Judging

• Emotion - Does the poem emit any kind of emotion, or make the reader feel a certain way? Or does it seem flat and uninteresting? [Note: This is most important, due to the fact that the contest theme is an emotion you've experienced.]
  • Flow - Does the poem have any kind of flow? Or does it seem choppy and hurried?
  • Originality - Have we all seen poems like this before? Or maybe you've created something fresh.
  • Grammar/Spelling - Is the poem legible and grammatically correct? [Very important. Completely unreadable poems will be thrown out of the contest.]
  • Word Quality - Do you use some interesting words to spice up your poem? Or did you over-complicate things to the point where we needed a dictionary to understand what you said?
  • Visuals - Does your poem create a picture in the reader's mind?

Ranking

Each poem will be judged as follows [by the listed judges, that is]:

• Emotion - X/30 - Because the topic is a feeling this time, the emotion of the poem is the most important part of it! Concentrate on expression whatever emotion it is your poem is about because that will be where you earn the most points.
  • Flow - X/20 - Flow is always important in poetry. Most poetry rhymes, some have other requirements, but ALL sorts of poetry should flow. Test the flow of your poem by reading it out loud to yourself.
  • Originality - X/10 - You should always try to create something new when writing. Originality will can make or break your score.
  • Grammar/Spelling - X/10 - In a contest based upon writing, we assume that all the participants can spell and write fairly well. If your poem is in text talk, it will be thrown out. If you constantly use words incorrectly, or don't punctuate your words and sentences, it will hurt your score.
  • Word Quality - X/10 - Using simple words throughout the entire poem means there's not much depth in it. You can use more meaningful words to replace things like "sad" or "happy", etc. etc. However, do not over-complicate things. Big words do not make you smart if you don't use them properly.
  • Visuals - X/20 - One of our greatest talents as writers is the ability to paint a picture in another person's mind. It's a beautiful gift to be able to create visuals and it can win or lose this contest for you.

Naturally, if you add up all the possible top scores in each category, you will get 100. Your score will, obviously, be X/100 :) Highest score wins!

Deadline
July 14, 2007

The winner should be announced by July 20, 2007. If it is not, Seth will make sure to hurry the judges along.

The winner will probably get a bundle of rep from all the judges and participants, not to mention anyone else who may happen to see that they won. Not only that, but you get to host the NEXT contest and choose the theme/edit the rules! You do not have to be a judge if you don't want to, though.​

So have fun!

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Question. Since its about a feeling, with creating Visuals in your mind, how exactly are you going to judge it? not sure how to phrase this....

Does it have to create a picture, or can it just create a feeling in your mind that might draw from personal experience and create your own personal image of that feeling?

And how should we give it to you? a private message attachment to three people, an attachment in a post? I don't want to do just the plain poem in a post cause it wouldn't look so good, bit long too for a post.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Were mainly doing it on Spelling Grammar and Creativity
and because most of my poems are on this subject/Topic I know alot about it

Halahan

Reaction score
Oh, alright thanks.
Maybe I'll be a judge next time and let one of you judges enter the contest.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Well I like Judging ^^ and so does night lol
But I havn't talked with seth since wednesday so Idk if hes going to judge or not...

Halahan

Reaction score
well, I'm not going to judge THis time, but I would like a chance to judge and one of you might like entering the contest.

Anyway I'll submit my poem soon.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I will not be judging this one. Thank you for the consideration, but please remove my name from the list.

TrustFactor

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot

Fallen Love

Once again it's time to give up on this feeling.
The apathetic feeling people call love.
In a change of pace time can only tell.
If the man and woman will see each other again.
To feel the same as they once did.
The apathetic of love is in their presence.
Taunting their thoughts to the depths of their minds.
The feeling wasn't mutual in the end.
But a fragment of the womans mind.
She knows theres nothing more she can do now.
She holds her head up high and prays.
Prays that one day he will see the true side of things.
The image of their love colliding like it once did.
Their image together as one.
Only time can tell.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Night wouldn't be allowed to judge is that because shes your friends....

Anyway...
Keep the poems up I get bored often and need something to do

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Here's my entry, comments would be great.

Water drops falling from a cliff
Joined with the sea down
Like a baby born above a grave
Hidden beneath the dry earth.

In a white bath man wonders.
Lost in pain for all the innocents
Keening to be one again.
Alas, the drops fall.

A wheel turns dancing
As the hell’s flames with their master.
Looking to the empty sky
Waiting for clouds.

A loud baby’s squeak
Cutting the drops of blue
Waking a dead man
Dancing with the wheel.

Halahan

Reaction score
I really like that Rheias. I like that a lot. Didn't exactly know what feeling you were supposed to describe, the happiness of a newborn?

Anyway, here's mine. If the judges would like any clarification on its meaning, I'll be happy to oblige.

Attachments

• ...I....doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
What's going on here!? I had no idea that there is such a thing as Poem Contest.

No way that I would join as my head is full of shit, nothing interesting shit even..

I like your poem very much Rheias, halahan's poem is still under my reading :p

Halahan

Reaction score
mean your still reading it, or you don't understand it?

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> I really like that Rheias. I like that a lot

Thanks for your kind comment.

> Didn't exactly know what feeling you were supposed to describe

Well, it would probably sound like a total cliche but this poem is about something recently happened to me where I was taking a bath, and I drifted a long with thoughts, I was trying to put my thoughts into words, it proved to be very challenging, I hope I managed to do that.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
I would join but a) my poetry isn't great and b) it's all humorous poetry, and from what you guys have written I noticed that you like more deep stuff... My poetry is very, very, shallow, but I like it :p

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I would join but a) my poetry isn't great and b) it's all humorous poetry, and from what you guys have written I noticed that you like more deep stuff... My poetry is very, very, shallow, but I like it

Thats because the Topic is Feeling Poetry Night get to host next time then Seth if he ever comes back
Which the Host gets to pick the topic and if all the judges (well most) like it then we make it the topic

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
Rheias: I enjoyed reading your poem, and I kind of got what you meant about the bath through the poem, it was something that I was going to ask you about.

Halahan: I will read yours eventually ^.^

Halahan

Reaction score
Thanks. Again, if you want any clarification (on the poem), just ask.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.