Not open for further replies.

hortononon

"I give em the hip then I take it away"-Jim Thorpe
Reaction score
Poetry Contest 3!

Previous Contests
Poetry Contest [2]

[lol] i just copied previous [/lol]

I'm proud to host the Poetry Contest [3]! So let's make this a good contest!

Judges

XXXconanXXX, Hortononon

Topic

You must write about a life changing experience. The experience doesn't have to be yours. You are aloud to make one up. There is no limit to how you write the poem.

Rules
You may submit any type of poem, so long as it relates to the topic stated above.
There is no limit on length.
It must be one that YOU have written, and it cannot be one that you've posted on this site previously. We cannot prevent you from posting an older poem, but it must be new to this site.
Any copying of another member's poem, or copying of any previously-written poem [even if you wrote it] will result in disqualification. You will also be banned from the next few Poetry Contests, provided we continue this tradition.

Judging
Emotion - Does the poem emit any kind of emotion, or make the reader feel a certain way? Or does it seem flat and uninteresting?
Flow - Does the poem have any kind of flow? Or does it seem choppy and hurried?
Originality - Have we all seen poems like this before? Or maybe you've created something fresh.
Grammar/Spelling - Is the poem legible and grammatically correct? [Very important. Completely unreadable poems will be thrown out of the contest.]
Word Quality - Do you use some interesting words to spice up your poem? Or did you over-complicate things to the point where we needed a dictionary to understand what you said?
Visuals - Does your poem create a picture in the reader's mind?

Ranking

Each poem will be judged as follows [by the listed judges, that is]:

Emotion - X/20 - Concentrate on expression whatever emotion it is your poem is about because that will be where you earn the most points.
Flow - X/20 - Flow is always important in poetry. Most poetry rhymes, some have other requirements, but ALL sorts of poetry should flow. Test the flow of your poem by reading it out loud to yourself.

Originality - X/20 - You should always try to create something new when writing. Originality will can make or break your score.
Grammar/Spelling - X/10 - In a contest based upon writing, we assume that all the participants can spell and write fairly well. If your poem is in text talk, it will be thrown out. If you constantly use words incorrectly, or don't punctuate your words and sentences, it will hurt your score.

Word Quality - X/10 - Using simple words throughout the entire poem means there's not much depth in it. You can use more meaningful words to replace things like "sad" or "happy", etc. etc. However, do not over-complicate things. Big words do not make you smart if you don't use them properly.

Visuals - X/20 - One of our greatest talents as writers is the ability to paint a picture in another person's mind. It's a beautiful gift to be able to create visuals and it can win or lose this contest for you.

Naturally, if you add up all the possible top scores in each category, you will get 100. Your score will, obviously, be X/100 Highest score wins!

Deadline
August 20, 2007

The winner should be announced by August 29, 2007.

The winner will get a bundle of rep from all the judges and participants, not to mention anyone else who may happen to see that they won. Not only that, but you get to host the NEXT contest and choose the theme/edit the rules! You do not have to be a judge if you don't want to, though.

Lets Do it! (this is my catchphrase):cool:

Contestants
Rheias
Monsterous
Mizuio-Ken
TrustFactor
Gman101112​

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Not one of by best poems, but a decent one I think. Let me know what you think.

Walking by lights, cutting them.
Like a ghost, shard of life I move,
Leech to society abandoned by trusted,
Abandoned by cruel enemies.

In the mist of chaos the sound
Of a horn banging through reality
Small, dead body on the gray,
Filthy blood of innocents.

A hug in a cloud, blue tears of white
Broken and repaired silver, metal floor
I stand there alone, with abandoners
Looking for mercy, chance, finding coolness.

Walking by shadows, becoming them.
Like a ghost, shard of life, I move.
Leech to loved ones, working
Being consumed by loneliness.​

hortononon

Reaction score
i liked it
but im not sure if what im thinking is what its about
so could you clarify the meaning for me?

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Actually, I hate explaining my poems, I think they should be personal so each one can understand them in his way. Explaining them kind of makes you feel only what I feel when I wrote the poem, which in my opinion kind of cancels the meaning that I put to my poems, which is to give you personal experience. If you insist I could give an explanation, but I rather not to.

hortononon

Reaction score
Actually, I hate explaining my poems, I think they should be personal so each one can understand them in his way. Explaining them kind of makes you feel only what I feel when I wrote the poem, which in my opinion kind of cancels the meaning that I put to my poems, which is to give you personal experience. If you insist I could give an explanation, but I rather not to.

ha i thought ud say that,
ya u dun have to explain it, just let us interpret it our own way
but very nice poem

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Anger

A man walks down a road
Carrying a silent gun
He comes down into a house
Angered - shoots the mum

He comes down upon the father
Shoots him through the head
He tries to shoot the daughter
Angry though, she fled

Yes this is the event of my life
And things will never renew
The Murderer has not been caught
Anger has never flew

Whatever you may think of me
Beware of what i say.
For everyday in your life
Anger will rule the way

It does not matter if your path
Be askew or very straight
It does not matter by temper
Anger will rule your fate

It only matters on control.
Have little or alot
From small things to big things
Angry things you forgot.

Anger, Anger, Anger.
Anger rules your way
Anger will always lead...
Lead your path Astray!

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I will not be handling anything in this contest. Hopefully there won't be a tie and if there is, figure out another way to break it or get a third judge before it happens. Sorry, guys. Maybe next time.

hortononon

Reaction score
fine fine well just figure something out, there prolly wont be a tie, if there is maybe we will just use favoritism:D

hortononon

Reaction score
why is this not with the "please read" threads anymore seth?

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
I'm guessing its not stickied cause of someone is going to enter then they won't forget about it and it will soon be back at the top of the list anyway for anyone who hasn't heard about it yet, which is a small chance :shades:

This was my five hundredth post :)

(lol Seth you disabled rep?)

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I found the 1st part of this poem one of my pages in my Journal
I had no clue what it was written or called but it was unfinished so I finished it....

Anyway this is quite easy what it is about

Inconvenient Truth
As the clock ticks,
We try to find happiness,
Unknowing that we have found it,
When life and death become apparent,
We forget what we were looking for,
As our Sins are measured,
We treated Life as if it was nothing,
In till we saw the end of the dark tunnel,
Then all we wish for is life,
As the your eternal destiny is found,
You find that ,
This is inconvenient truth,
Death.​

And Yes Death is a life changing experience.

hortononon

Reaction score
And Yes Death is a life changing experience.
lol more of a life threatening experience but ill give it to ya.
I liked the poem.
But one of the things well judge on is grammar, i dont think im aloud to point things out in your poem and tell you to fix them, but i will say there are grammatical errors.;)

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
I find true peace in my own solitude it seems. No lights beckon, no bridges expand beyond the dim shores to the other worlds afar.

Perhaps it is in my own solitude that I will find happiness, for to depend upon others or be with others seems to only end in terrible battle.

With free will comes the difference of opinion, and with that comes that eternal fight that seems to wane on and on through each age.

I hereby withdraw my poem so that I may keep it to myself. I will no longer share my works..

I take my leave

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
I don't know If I'm going to enter now.... that poem is one of the best poems I've ever read, and I don't think mine could stand up to it, and I don't see the point in entering. :rolleyes:
Maybe I just need to work on the poem.

definitely + rep

hortononon

Reaction score

ummm the apocalypse? im not to good at finding meanings

cmon Halahan if your a quitter than you dont belong in the writers corner you belong in the [laugh at this pun] Quitter's Corner [/laugh at this pun]

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Nop ^_^

A lot of people have been thinking it was about an apocalypse, but remember

The contest was about a life changing event? ^^

Look deeper

I usually write poems with many more meanings than one... Meaning one poem can tell lotsa different stories = )

The deepest story is the true meaning

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
> but i will say there are grammatical errors.

Lucky for me that grammar isn't worth that much but you can't give me a 0 for a few errors. ^^ so I'm not that worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.