Poetry Contest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mer_de_Noms

Certified Badfish
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but would it be possible to have a poetry competition?

I think it would be really interesting :)

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
If you want one, a good thing to do would be to talk to Krys, the Writer's Corner mod. She'll probably run it past me, since I'm the biggest writer-ish Admin, and then we'll go from there.

I suggest coming up with more then just "can we?" though :p Get some rules down, judging ideas, etc. etc. Dead lines, that sort of thing.

I don't have a problem with it, I'll give you that.

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
Neither do I. It seems like a good idea, but we do need more than just the idea for it. As for judging, depending on how many entries we get we could jus have a poll for what people think is the best poem.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Its a good idea, but again, the details such as judging and entries and such would be a hassle, since everyone would want to participate I'm guessing, who would judge, and if the people who entered did, how would it work? work those out, we could definitely do it.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Judges can't enter, I'll tell you that right now. No contest in the entire world should ever have judges participating in the contest.

So either you're in, you're a judge, or go away ^.^

Mer_de_Noms

Certified Badfish
Reaction score
Alright, cool. I was just making sure that the idea could be carried out before I started making plans.

Judging

-Judges: Seth_Cross, Krys_A_Night, Mizuio-Ken

-Rules:

• You may submit any type of poem.
  • There is no limit on length.
  • Any theme is acceptable.
  • It must be one that YOU have written, and it can't be one that you've posted on this website previously. I would say that it has to be new period, but whos to say that you couldn't just post one that you've had sitting around for years and just tell us it's new, therefore making that pretty much impossible :p
  • Any copying of other member's poems, or copying of any previously-written poems will result in -reputation and disqualification.

Judging will be based on the following:

• Emotion - Does the poem emit any kind of emotion, or make the reader feel a certain way? Or does it seem flat and uninteresting?
  • Flow - Does the poem have any kind of flow? Or does it seem choppy and hurried?
  • Originality - Have we all seen poems like this before? Or maybe you've created something fresh.
  • Grammar/Spelling - Is the poem legible and grammatically correct?
  • Word Quality - Do you use some interesting words to spice up your poem?
  • Visuals - Does your poem create a picture in the reader's mind?

-All of the judging criteria above will be judged out of 10 (10 being the best).

-All contestants have 5 days to have their poem submitted (after a starting date is chosen of course). Judging will be complete 3 days after the deadline.

Prizes - Aside from +rep, nothing. Don't be so materialistic :p

Anything above is totally open for debate, these are simply some ideas for judging, rules, etc. If anyone has something that they would like to add, just post your suggestions :)

DM Cross

Reaction score
I would think Krys and I would be Judges, with one more person. Unless, of course, Krys wants to be IN the contest.

As for the rules about poems: Does it have to be new? Have a theme? Be a certain number of lines or more/less? When's the deadline for dropping in a poem? When will they be judged by?

Those are just a few questions I got already ^.^ Work on answering those (You or Krys, I'm just endorsement ^.^)

DM Cross

Reaction score
I thought I said I'd be a judge? :D

Also, the big one. Why are we doing it? Aka: What's in it for me, what's my prize if I win?

Everyone's gonna wanna know that, of course ^.^

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Can I be a judge :D
I'm a good at poetry and understand the art of all of it :D

BY the way 700 post Yay!

DM Cross

Reaction score
Con - As a judge or contestant?

Miz - Fine with me, so long as you know you can't be IN the contest, too.

We only need 3 judges, so if Krys, me and Miz are them, we can start focusing on the rest of the stuff ^.^

I dunno about Krys, but some kind of theme would be cool, even if it's just a general type of poetry, or a message in the poem. Or even a target audience. It'll help test people's ability.

Then again, we can have more than 1 contest ^.^ So for the first one, we'll keep it simple, unless someone disagrees.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I say any type really because I think most of us seen most poetry but it can't jsut be happy poems because I good and feeling peoms

But we can do about feelings (like I do) Nature or anything else

Were having more then 1 contest YAY! more things to do

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
I would be happy to join, I think that a theme would be good, it could direct the contest and make it more challenging.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Big Rule

Copying anyone work someone from this site or any other writer
will result
-rep,
Disqualification,
And You will not be allow to join anyother writer contest,

Reason why Taken this so strict because any Writer wants to get credit for what he or she did. Its the same thing as copying a map and calling it yours.

Is that Agreed by the Judges

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.