Pointers

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Were removed. Though they worked in previous patches, they don't seem to compile in SC2 anymore. They also do not exist in the editor.

There is a chance, therefore, that pointers will not return, but we don't know yet.

I thought they were just not present in the GUI yet, but when I tried running a map with a pointer declared by using an MPQ archiver, it failed to load. :(

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Were removed. Though they worked in previous patches, they don't seem to compile in SC2 anymore. They also do not exist in the editor.

There is a chance, therefore, that pointers will not return, but we don't know yet.

I thought they were just not present in the GUI yet, but when I tried running a map with a pointer declared by using an MPQ archiver, it failed to load. :(

There was no f*cking way Blizzard would let you deal with pointers. I had no doubt in my mind they wouldn't allow that to happen. Do you realize how much stuff you could totally f*ck up in SC2 with that? I could probably write 1,000 ways to crash the game purely by pointers.

ZugZugZealot

Reaction score
The job of pointers would be taken care for the most part if...
-arrays could be passed through parameters
-arrays can be returned
-functions could have multiple returns (i.e. 'pC, pN = GetPlayerNameWithColor(p)' )

But sadly, they probably won't provide such alternatives. -_-

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
There was no f*cking way Blizzard would let you deal with pointers. I had no doubt in my mind they wouldn't allow that to happen. Do you realize how much stuff you could totally f*ck up in SC2 with that? I could probably write 1,000 ways to crash the game purely by pointers.
Absolutely.
JASS:
int* T2I__ptr;
void T2I__SetPtr(int i)
{
    T2I__ptr=&i;
}
int T2I__Int(timer t)
{
    return *T2I__ptr; // which will now point at the timer, since it was pointing
}                     // to the first param in this level of the stack?..
int T2I(timer t)
{
    T2I__SetPtr(7);
    return T2I__Int(t);
}

-arrays could be passed through parameters
-arrays can be returned
-functions could have multiple returns (i.e. 'pC, pN = GetPlayerNameWithColor(p)' )
Returning a record would solve all of that. Which I expect they might implement. On the other hand, I still think it's all useless.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Hey cool let me set values to arbitrary memory locations and hope nothing goes wrong. Brilliant.

If you want pointers go program in straight C++. This isn't designed for what you have in mind. I've been programming in C++ for nearly a decade and I sometimes mismanage a pointer and cause a program to crash. You think giving that power to a complete novice is a good idea? Do you realize what kind of vital information is stored in your computers memory at any given time? How do you think hacks work? If you could have your map write values directly into someone's memory, as you wanted, you could easily write malicious code to execute on a target computer.

I don't know why you're so stark raving mad about getting pointers into an editor. It's not going to happen.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
I don't know why you're so stark raving mad about getting pointers into an editor. It's not going to happen.
Wish I knew who that was directed at.

>Well, back to Warcraft 3 we go then!
Why do people keep saying things like this every time something insignificant happens?

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying things like this every time something insignificant happens?

Because acting like a rebel and saying things you're never going to do will often give interesting reactions.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Wish I knew who that was directed at.

My comment was directed at you. When you started hacking the editor you got giddy when you attempted to use pointers. Now that they aren't there....it is somehow a surprise.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Absolutely.
Oh, I just liked that they were there, because there were comments that they would be there.
Now that they're not, I actually couldn't care less. Using an array and allocating the index works exactly the same, for me. But it's safe. :D

I totally agree on their removal. If they were real pointers especially, that was real dumb.

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Just another thing that proves me that Galaxy is nothing but a copy of JASS. Same mistakes, sames oddities ... plus additional oddities.
Script-wise, the SC2 editor is nothing but a pain. If the object editor wouldnt be so amazing, I would wish to go back to the old WC3 editor again ... :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.