Crime Police called after man butchers cow in his driveway

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Charges may ensue for an Ogden man who startled the neighbors by butchering a cow in his driveway over the weekend.

Police were called to the scene at 1:44 p.m. Sunday after the cow's owner began harvesting the animal. A patrolman was responding to a caller who saw a cow being trailered to the home in the 2700 block of Gramercy Avenue.

The caller then reported hearing the cow's audible mooing, followed by what sounded like a gunshot, said Police Lt. Troy Burnett. Then the mooing stopped.

The patrolman's report said when he arrived at the scene a half-block above Monroe Boulevard, "the cow was in the process of losing its head," Burnett said.

Last edited:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
That's purely nuts!
Seriously, Who would even think of killing and butchering a cow in their driveway?

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I kinda' feel bad for the man.
He probably didn't realize he was going to get into so much trouble.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Why is THIS considered animal cruelty when 1. this is how it had been done for a LONG time and 2. what's wrong with killing the cow to butcher and eat it? I would have personally picked a place more private to do so but still...

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Why is THIS considered animal cruelty when 1. this is how it had been done for a LONG time and 2. what's wrong with killing the cow to butcher and eat it? I would have personally picked a place more private to do so but still...

Because the legal system sucks.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with the actual killing of the cow. The only problem was the he did it in public.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was still out in the open, where other people could see him though.

Varine

Reaction score
It was still out in the open, where other people could see him though.

So? Still on his property. Admittedly it's not the best place to do it, but there isn't really anything actually illegal about it. That's how it's done.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So? Still on his property. Admittedly it's not the best place to do it, but there isn't really anything actually illegal about it. That's how it's done.

I will pretty much agree with this.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score

Here in California, if it is accessible to the public from the road, it is still considered "public". The only way he would have got away with "it was on my property", would be if his yard was fully walled with any entrances to the yard closed and gated. Then it is "private". But if it's publicly accessible it is still a "public location". Same concept with walking out front naked, it's still considered in public because it's publicly accessible. We had to research this rule for sport bike stunting, because cops come in to parking lots that are on "private property" and still write you for being in a public spot, unless every entrance to the place is blocked off. You have a way better chance of getting it off if you go to court if it's in a parking lot, but they legally can still give you tickets. Lets note, this doesn't mean that you're allowed to trespass because it's public. Thats not the same, this only applies to the "private and public property" laws. Horse shit, really...

In this case though, I do not agree to actually killing the cow in front of people that aren't willing to watch, but to cut up the meat? I don't see anything illegal about it. There is no difference between cutting meat off a cow, and cutting meat off a fish. And I doubt if he had just gone fishing and caught a huge fish and was gutting it, they wouldn't have cared. It's only because people fail to see that the main use for cows is food (Milk + Steak), thats their main purpose in the economy. Why is this man getting in trouble for something thats done to thousands of cows a day? Because the person(s) that saw him didn't like it and happened to have a place of power. Yay governmental abuse...!

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
But he did killed the poor cow so?

Cows are killed all the time. Unless you are a vegetarian, you support the killing of cows.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Cows are killed all the time.
Yeah, but It's Just plain wrong what he did and such a thing should be prevented by law.
Seriously, "It's a neighborhood" No one should be forced to see this disturbing stuff. Or "hear a cow's audible mooing"
Well, this kind of hmm should be inspected by a vet. To prevent any kind of abuse or cruelty.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Holy fuck you're right. It should be a law that you can't kill animals.

Or insects.

Or anything for that matter.

OH FUCK I STEPPED ON AN ANT.

PUT ME AWAY OFFICER!

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Either he shot it outside city limits and the neighbor heard nothing OR he shot it in his driveway and the neighbor heard the shot and the cow mooing. Distant gun shots are quieter; dead cows don't moo.

So, assuming he didn't shoot it in his driveway, he was just butchering a carcase. What's wrong with that? Not a pretty sight, granted, but a cow isn't gonna be an easy thing to get inside your front door, much less to the kitchen / basement. Just outside the truck seems like a good spot to put it while you cut it down to size.

As far as animal cruelty goes, the one guy with his one cow sounds like a pretty small target for reform efforts ... but maybe it would be effective to go after him because the case is highly visible? Take the opportunity to win support from the neighbors or something? I guess that's a political question.

Varine

Reaction score
It's kind of like that in Idaho, but I routinely kicked police off of our property and sometimes got in trouble for it (off work property that is, when I managed a furniture warehouse and then when I was working for this guy that owned a lot in downtown). They would sit there waiting for someone to speed or something and I told them to leave, and typically they're response was something to that effect (we had a large parking lot there that typically we would let people use, but I hate police so they had to leave). They tried to arrest me once for obstruction I think, but I called a lawyer that I know and he went apeshit and they stopped parking there for a while.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
It's kind of like that in Idaho, but I routinely kicked police off of our property and sometimes got in trouble for it (off work property that is, when I managed a furniture warehouse and then when I was working for this guy that owned a lot in downtown). They would sit there waiting for someone to speed or something and I told them to leave, and typically they're response was something to that effect (we had a large parking lot there that typically we would let people use, but I hate police so they had to leave). They tried to arrest me once for obstruction I think, but I called a lawyer that I know and he went apeshit and they stopped parking there for a while.

I can tell that you don't like Police that much ^_^
What you did was right though, say no to injustice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.