Portrait Angles and the Model Editor

Machop Fan

Reaction score
I have a couple of minor questions:

1: Even though Muradin Bronzebeard and the standard Mountain King use the same model, their portraits show them at different angles, the Mountain King facing screen left and Muradin facing screen right. I've also seen a couple of DotA heroes whose portraits are at different angles to the units they're based off. How do I edit that?

2: When I try to run the Model Editor (the one I downloaded from the tutorial on this site), I get the error message "Cannot update the Registry". How can I fix that?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
1: Even though Muradin Bronzebeard and the standard Mountain King use the same model,
False. Check their model paths in the editor.

their portraits show them at different angles, the Mountain King facing screen left and Muradin facing screen right. I've also seen a couple of DotA heroes whose portraits are at different angles to the units they're based off. How do I edit that?
Make a copy of the model (or, if the model has a separate portrait model, copy that), and edit the portrait camera to face a different direction. Then, import it. (Sorry, I can't help you do the edit; I've never done it myself.)

2: When I try to run the Model Editor (the one I downloaded from the tutorial on this site), I get the error message "Cannot update the Registry". How can I fix that?
Dunno, I've never heard of it having that error. :confused: Are you sure it didn't say anything else?

Machop Fan

Reaction score
I just downloaded it again, and now it says it can't find "d3dx9_35.dll". Anyone know how I can fix that?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Look through the comments on it, there's a fixed version in one of the posts.

Machop Fan

Reaction score
I downloaded the first update I saw (near the top of page 12), and I get exactly the same problem. It still can't find d3dx9_35.dll.

On what page is the update that will fix that particular error?

EDIT: I found the solution, and the program appears to be working! :D

Now, before I use it to do anything complex, my first plan is to change the camera angle of the Dark Ranger's portrait so that it matches that of Sylvanas Windrunner (living) and Shandris. What properties will I want to edit to achieve this? Plus, how can I use a portrait and a model in one model file?

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
> so that it matches that of Sylvanas Windrunner (living) and Shandris
Do mdl file editing. Convert Sylvanas Windrunner portrait model file to mdl (you can then open it with Notepad and read as understandable text). Scroll down to 'camera' datablock (it might be called Camera portrait) copy that info (you only need these XYZ coords of camera) and paste them to target model file (Dark Ranger). If you are lucky you get quick way to modify camera position.
This method fails if models are positioned way differently towards camera. Then it is best to modify camera position with 3D program (Warcraft 3 Viewer, MdlVis perhaps).

Machop Fan

Reaction score
I've gotten even more problems and questions, but I don't want to constantly bump this thread with new questions because iirc that's against the rules. Is there a tutorial somewhere that can teach me how to upload custom models?

Thanks to both of you for your help. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.