Possible to change the language of WE?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I have this Warcraft 3 RoC and TFT Traditional Chinese versions. All patched to the latest.

Now, whether or not this is possible, can you simply change the languages in all games from Chinese to English?:

Warcraft III RoC
Warcraft III TFT
Warcraft III World Editor
Warcaft III Patch 1.21b
Warcraft III xPatch 1.21b

I have done a test a year ago, but lost it due to a virus corrupted my rundll32.exe. At that time, I could play English TFT without any troubles with Chinese RoC. I forgot how did I do it, as it was a full year ago and I was too busy playing HLW.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
No you cant. Unless you downloaded it i dont see why you would have a chinese version in the first place unless you understand it. Also wrong section.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry for that, but at least I wanted to ask how to change WE to english.

Otherwise, if I had a bug or issue, I need to use a translator to get the english texts, then post it here. It's major painful to do that. Unless I convert it to JASS for others to help me, which is a good thing for others, I can't even understand JASS. So if they give me solutions to the problem, I wouldn't be able to read it, let alone fixing the problem. Plus, the Chinese, when converted to JASS, would just become: _____. <---That underline.

Plus, if I have to learn JASS, it will take some time to get my eyes used to it.

What else can I do?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
You're still not making sense.

Can you read Traditional Chinese ?

I don't think you can convert WE from Traditional Chinese to English. If you could, then Blizzard would only distribute one version of the game with support for every language, allowing you to change it as you see fit. But this is not the case, therefore each different language-edition of the game must only support that language and no others.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I could read, but I prefer English than Chinese. And thanks Darg, for that info. Case closed.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
That's for adding/editing GUI triggers, I don't know what does my trigger mean when looked in English, so those are useless for me.

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
Ask if someone extracts (MPQ) and posts his UI folder here?
Then place that one in your WC3 directory and you should be fine I suppose.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, would that be okay? I mean, this place is vulnerable here.

Magentix

Reaction score
The UI folder has some stuff like SkinMetaData.slk, etc which set the tooltips that WE uses.

If someone opens his war3.MPQ or (war3patch.MPQ?), extracts the UI folder and posts it here, you could add that UI folder to your warcaft 3 folder.

If it doesn't work, you simply delete the UI folder, making it turn back to it's original state.

Magentix

Reaction score
- Because I edited my UI and thus cannot provide a valid UI folder.
- Because I don't know for sure whether he'll need war3.MPQ's or war3patch.MPQ's version

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Where should I put it? An empty folder within Warcraft III folder, or someplace else? If someone had uploaded to us...

Magentix

Reaction score
C:\Path\To\Warcraft III\UI is what the path should look like.

Even though the UI is hard coded, whenever you launch WE, it will check if the user made a custom UI folder and apply stuff that's in there instead of the basic stuff.

As for UI extraction, if someone can confirm which MPQ to extract it from, I could do it for you.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Try:

war3.mpq
War3x.mpq

Each of those have UIs, otherwise how could my WE converts my maps from w3m to w3x?

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
if you dont like the chinese langue then why did you buy it in chinese???

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
hm aren't there language patches? for NWN there were : /
I believe they didn't make an all lanuage ver becouse all the language templates woul've needed too much memory : (

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
The MPQ you should extract from is war3patch.mpq. I'd post it here, but you can't upload entire folders, so just get an MPQ editor, such as MPQmaster or the one inside the Magos Model Editor, open up War3Patch.mpq, and extract the UI folder to ...\Warcraft III\UI (Note: Path may vary, but that's how it should end.)

Mike889

Reaction score
Try contacting Blizzard directly or using their forums. I know they can do something for you =D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.