US News Pregnant Seattle protester miscarries after being kicked, pepper sprayed

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
A woman who was pepper sprayed during during a raid on Occupy Seattle last week is blaming police after she miscarried Sunday.

Jennifer Fox, 19, told The Stranger that she had been with the Occupy protests since they started in Westlake Park. She said she was homeless and three months pregnant, but felt the need to join activists during their march last Tuesday.

“I was standing in the middle of the crowd when the police started moving in,” Fox recalled. “I was screaming, ‘I am pregnant, I am pregnant. Let me through. I am trying to get out.’”

She claimed that police hit her in the stomach twice before pepper spraying her. One officer struck her with his foot and another pushed his bicycle into her. It wasn’t clear if either of those incidents were intentional.

“Right before I turned, both cops lifted their pepper spray and sprayed me. My eyes puffed up and my eyes swelled shut,” Fox said.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/22/pregnant-seattle-protester-miscarries-after-being-kicked-pepper-sprayed/

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
This is a serious tragedy. life lost always is. It's also sad that she is homeless.

Another thing that is sad is that she got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I was available I would have told her not to enter a crowd of people who were going to be forceably removed for disobeying the law and rioting.

I really hope she isn't playing us because it really is sad when things like this happen. :(

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Lives are taken every day but when something like this happens, it's just saddening to hear.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Lives are taken every day but when something like this happens, it's just saddening to hear.

Its not.
The baby was killed because its mother was stupid enough to enter a dangerous place at a dangerous time.

There are many people dieing without a cause like that. Just because they were born in the wrong country or because other people felt like killing someone for fun.
When i think about this it is by far less sad then anything happening in countries like somalia right now.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
This is a serious tragedy. life lost always is. It's also sad that she is homeless.

Another thing that is sad is that she got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I was available I would have told her not to enter a crowd of people who were going to be forceably removed for disobeying the law and rioting.

I really hope she isn't playing us because it really is sad when things like this happen. :(

Is he serious or he like FireCat? Like... really, you would inform her that she was about to enter a zone that you feel is unsafe for her to loiter in?

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Is he serious or he like FireCat? Like... really, you would inform her that she was about to enter a zone that you feel is unsafe for her to loiter in?

Good one! (not)

My point was that it was obviously a bad decision to go to a dangerous protest that was going to get locked down. Anyone in their right mind would have stayed away if they were serious about their health and the health of their unborn child. It is most unfortunate that she miscarried and very upsetting to myself. It's a tragic accident indeed. That being said, she wasn't picked out of a crowd and beaten for the purpose of killing her baby. She was forced out of the way by cops with batons who were shutting down a dangerous demonstration; the mere fact that she was there mixed with some bad luck put her at the receiving end of some police prods.

It's a fairly obvious place you don't want to loiter in unless you have stock in what is being done there. It's obvious that these demonstrations have taken a wrong turn and have become unwanted. When the police arrive and start using megaphones saying things like "disperse" and "you need to move away" it's probably a good idea to gtfo if you are pregnant and, again, do not have stock in the protests. Again, it's very upsetting that she got caught up in all of this, especially considering the several warning signs that were most likely presented to her regarding her continued presence there.

Of course this is all assumed as I wasn't actually there and can't tell you exactly what her circumstances were. It could simply have been a VERY big accident in which she unknowingly wandered into a warzone without much notice and everything fell apart for her... it just seems unlikely.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
My point was that it was obviously a bad decision to go to a dangerous protest that was going to get locked down.
Maybe she shouldn't have been protesting.
But then again, you have the right to be there and you can't deny any person that right!. But even, if its dangerous place, does it give the moral right to an officer, to hit and pepper spray someone? NO!

Anyways. From what I have seen, there some doubt that she wasn't pregnant at all. But let's see

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Its not.
The baby was killed because its mother was stupid enough to enter a dangerous place at a dangerous time.

So you're saying that because someone made a bad choice, someone else deserved to lose their life? Pretty heartless man. No ones perfect, we all make mistakes. If we all were killed over them, we wouldn't be here right now.
She didn't know anything about what may happen, the protests all started better than they ended. I doubt she went into the protest with the mindset "I hope I get hurt!". She wasn't doing a single life-threatening thing, yet her baby deserves to lose it's life because why? You didn't like what she was saying/doing? Disgusting.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Pretty sure he meant that it's her fault the baby died =/
Not that the baby deserved to die because of her.

Varine

Reaction score
Pretty sure he meant that it's her fault the baby died =/
Not that the baby deserved to die because of her.

HOW is it her fault? Because she went into a crowd that she probably didn't think was about to get attacked by police, and even then that a cop is going to be stupid enough to hit her, a pregnant woman, in the stomach? Typically that's homicide dawg.

camelCase

Reaction score
Because she went into a crowd that she probably didn't think was about to get attacked by police, and even then that a cop is going to be stupid enough to hit her, a pregnant woman, in the stomach?
Can't say I'm happy about it, but she shouldn't have been there in the first place.
She risked her unborn child's safety by even choosing to be in that crowd.
She knew that it could happen to her but probably shrugged it off and went, "Nah, it couldn't happen to me!"

I'm not saying that the policemen responsible are not at fault but it's widely known that police violence has become pretty bad.
She chose to risk it anyway and this was the end result.

Varine

Reaction score
Can't say I'm happy about it, but she shouldn't have been there in the first place.
She risked her unborn child's safety by even choosing to be in that crowd.
She knew that it could happen to her but probably shrugged it off and went, "Nah, it couldn't happen to me!"

I'm not saying that the policemen responsible are not at fault but it's widely known that police violence has become pretty bad.
She chose to risk it anyway and this was the end result.

She shouldn't have been in a crowd, in a city full of crowds, because she was pregnant? Dude these arguments are getting idiotic. Are the civilians that were killed in the invasion of Afghanistan at fault? No, they aren't. The bottom line is this is entirely the fault of the police. They need to finally be taken up and held on trial for the shit they do, it's getting pretty fucking stupid to hear that people are getting killed because the police can't fucking do their job right.

camelCase

Reaction score
She shouldn't have been in a crowd, in a city full of crowds, because she was pregnant?
She shouldn't have been in the crowd that's part of the OWS.
And yes, precisely because she was pregnant.
It is the fault of the police but her decision to be there contributed to this incident.
It could have been avoided, she did worry about this happening, but she decided to go on.

Are the civilians that were killed in the invasion of Afghanistan at fault? No, they aren't.
Yeah, they weren't but they had no choice.

They need to finally be taken up and held on trial for the shit they do, it's getting pretty fucking stupid to hear that people are getting killed because the police can't fucking do their job right.
I agree on that.

I'm trying to say that while the police were messed up, the woman should've realized that her baby was more important than some protest.

Varine

Reaction score
She shouldn't have been in the crowd that's part of the OWS.

An ordinarily fairly peaceful demonstration...

And yes, precisely because she was pregnant.

And apparently needed to get across there....

It is the fault of the police but her decision to be there contributed to this incident.

So would it be all right if I said the victims of 9/11 are at fault because they were there at the time?

It could have been avoided, she did worry about this happening, but she decided to go on.

Yes... by a cop not hitting her in the stomach.

Yeah, they weren't but they had no choice.

They could leave. Yes, sure it's a pain in the ass, but so is going around a big group of people when I can just go through them. First world problems, my friend, people don't like doing it.

I agree on that.

Ah! Well then we have no more to discuss in this matter. I think we should make a petition...

I'm trying to say that while the police were messed up, the woman should've realized that her baby was more important than some protest.

Gee do you think that's why she brought it with her? She was homeless, the protest with police there (who usually discourage violence and typically it's a safe bet that you aren't likely to get hit in the stomach for no reason by one) was probably safer than a lot of other places she might have been. Well it was up until the safe bet part failed and a cop hit her in the stomach for no reason...

camelCase

Reaction score
So would it be all right if I said the victims of 9/11 are at fault because they were there at the time?
I'm pretty sure they didn't have an inkling of what was about to happen.

And apparently needed to get across there....
Weird, I'm pretty sure she wanted to be part of the protests, not get across the crowd =/

she had been with the Occupy protests since they started in Westlake Park. She said she was homeless and three months pregnant, but felt the need to join activists during their march last Tuesday.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.