Online Private game servers

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
I'm Just curious
What do you think of "private servers for online games ? Are private servers a good idea or a bad idea? Is that even Legal to run?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Technically TH doesn't provide support for private servers, as I recall.

Typically, yes, they are legal to run, but you have to be running the previous patch (like if the game's running version 1.8, you would have to run 1.7 or whatever). It's not a good or bad idea; it's usually cheaper or free, but you don't have as many people playing in the world.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
They're, in most circumstances, perfectly legal and fine to play on. At times, maybe slightly unethical, but rarely illegal. It's just that they typically bypass some form of security, which is typically frowned upon, but not of significant concern.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Okay, But how do you know it's safe, before you trying it out?
you can try to find out who runs it.. but what exactly are you worried about? they won't invade your computer with a virus.. the worst they can do is fool you into giving out passwords for different services and/or messing with your in-game account on their server

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
you can try to find out who runs it.. but what exactly are you worried about? they won't invade your computer with a virus.. the worst they can do is fool you into giving out passwords for different services and/or messing with your in-game account on their server
Well, I Just don't trust private servers and Just wondering if some of rumors were true. :p

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Well, I Just don't trust private servers and Just wondering if some of rumors were true. :p
Do you know how much work it is to set up a private game server?
And how much it costs? All that energy, all the internet connectivity needed.

If somebody was to set up a private server he would probably not do it just to troll people or to spread viruses. You can do that much easier.

Also, if there are hundreds of people playing on the private server chances are quite slim that its infected or fake.

The Helper

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, since Blizzard no longer links to us we can provide help for Private Servers if we want to. Of course, like everything else, that help would only be provided by people who want to do it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    We did!
  • Ghan Ghan:
    The old shoutbox wasn't supported anymore. We updated xenForo, so it had to be replaced.
  • jonas jonas:
    let's see if everyone finds it... the nice thing about the shoutbox was I could check on it even while logged out, but the existence of this one is hidden when you're not logged in
  • Ghan Ghan:
    We can fix that.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Chat should show on the sidebar when not logged in now.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    (You'll still need to log in to post messages)
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Test!
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I must be in a test server.
    Nice, Twitter tweets embedding now works
  • Wizard Wizard:
    Yup.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Excellent.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    @tom_mai78101 Hello there.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Tagging works in the chat too.
    @Ghan Missed it.
  • Wizard Wizard:
    Still fixing things here and there. Added widgets to the portal, will make it match the ones here on the forum index tomorrow.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    The venerable World Editor Tutorials site has been converted to HTTPS at last.
  • jonas jonas:
    cool
  • jonas jonas:
    and I can even edit my messages, nice
  • seph ir oth seph ir oth:
    GENERAL CHIT CHAT, YOU ARE A BOLD ONE
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hello there
  • The Helper The Helper:
    this new chatbox is great and the forum software update is great too
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    upgrade has fixed forum registration spam problem
    Something tells me we might be able to customize the chatbox a bit, considering that there's a gap under every message.
  • Wizard Wizard:
    Going to deploy a fix soon, just had to take some time for myself this weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop