Problem installing MS Critical updates

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Have two computers hooked up to a Linksys 4 port router.

I can access most of the the internet sites (this site, Open Tech Support, et al, with no problems, and can play online games with no problems.

However on my Dell Machine I cannot access the microsoft update site, I get a "page cannot be displayed" message.

I have verified that the Security Options and Advanced setup on both Internet Explorers is the same. I do notice that on the connections tab the Dell shows two Dial up connections via modem (which I used to use, but I am not dialed out at this time, even if I Dial out I still cannot access that page) whereas my other computer shows a WinPoet connection and no Dial up (never had a modem in this computer).

I need to install the critical updates on the Dell computer, but I am at a loss as to how to get it done, Disconnecting from the router and using the modem to Dial out does not solve the problem. Both are running IE 5 the Dell is on version 5.00.2614.3500IC, the other computer is on version 5.00.3314.2101.

On the IE error page, Clicking on "Detect Network Setting" brings me back to the same "The page cannot be displayed".

Both computers are running Windows98SE

I could install Winpoet on the Dell, but Winpoet was installed on the CNT machine in order to connect to my DSL provider before I had gotten the router. Both computers have "Never dial a connection" selected on the connections tab.

By the way, further information i cann access some of the Mirosoft sites:

Typing in "windows update: to the address line in IE gets me to:

http://auto.search.msn.com/results....NITIAL&FORM=AS5

first featured site is Microsoft Windows Update

clicking on that link also gets me to "the page cannot be displayed"

I can access microsoft.com, but again if I select the products/windows, Previous versions/windows98, Support/windows 98 support center, downloads tab, Microsoft windows update... I get the page cannot be displayed. I got to a different screen which had an option to download and install IE 5.01 sp 2, but if I select that, DAP shows no connection speed, if I then click download DAP just keeps looping retrying to establish a connection.

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Tools, Internet Options, Settings, View Objects. Delete the Windows Update Software. Also clean out your temporary internet files.

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
I emptied out the temp internet file folder.

As for the
Tools, Internet Options, Settings, View Objects. Delete the Windows Update Software.

There was no Windows Update Software showing there.

I also tried uninstalling Download Accelerator Plus, and Zone Alarm.

I still have the same problem

just about all the other functions on the internet seem to be working.

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Yep I can get there, but I still cannot get at the products update page.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
okay i am at a loss here hehe.
did u search their Knowledge base re this problem ?
sometimes they got stuff like this documented with a solution

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Yes I have been to their knowledge database, and found some posts about my problem.

I tried all that they suggested one at a time. Either it did not help, or on a few occasion, it made matters worse, meaning I could not access any site. When that happened I would do a restore of the system from a back up and skip anything that fubar'd the operating system.

I can download from other sites, I just downloaded the new Video card Drivers, It just seems to be the Microsoft product update sites that I cannot get to work.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
that all sounds to drokking weird
how many viri scanners u used to check on viri lately ?

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Two, no Virus's found AVP and Housecalls.

I also notice that it will not let me connect to my Email service it comes back with the following error message.

The host 'mail.earthlink.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'DSL Earthlink', Server: 'mail.earthlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

The host 'mail.earthlink.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop.earthlink.net', Server: 'mail.earthlink.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Last time I successfully sent mail was 7/31/2002

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.