I guess I was spending over 2 hours on this creating 100 buttons for upgrades:

- 25 buttons for income upgrades
- 25 upgrades for zerg
- 25 upgrades for terran
- 25 upgrades for protoss

The problem was that for some reason I CAN'T COPY buttons and change them
So to be clear:

- I create a new button and called it 'terran upgrade 1'
- I copied/paste it 24 times and changed the names (terran button 2, terran button 3 etc...)
- I changed the TOOLTIP of every button

Result: ALL BUTTONS do have the same tooltip, am I crazy?? I just modified all the names of the tooltips

So I wasted like 2 hours on this STUPID BUG!
Can anybody please tell me what is going on with the data editor?

MissKerrigan

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
The issue there is the buttons are linked together, to create a button and use it as a "template" for all buttons you create do the following: Create a new button, click "Defines default", set the button's settings, create a new button, now where it says CDefaultButton or something to that effect, click the drop down menu and select the button you created before. All the settings should be the same except they wont be linked together

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
Yes but I am really confused about something!

Last week I created a button 'weapon damage 1' and the tooltip of this button was 'all weapons are increased with 10% damage'

So I copied and pasted this button 4 times and changed the names of the tooltips to '20% damage, 30% damage, 40% damage and 50% damage info' this all worked fine!

It's just sometimes if I modify buttons, then the other buttons where I copied it from seems all to change like something is connected to them, this is really silly

GFreak45

Reaction score
honestly its probably just a glitch, the editor isnt perfect unfortunately, however expected it may have been : /

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
I found out that duplicating also works, but it just goes faster when copy/paste and simply modify some letters/numbers

My biggest problem is that when creating all 'new buttons' I have to select 2 icons for every buttons which cost a lot of time, especially because for some reason, I have to wait like 5-8 seconds when the icon-menu is loaded

Does anyone knows why this takes so long?
It there maybe an option which shows the icon-menu faster without ALL results showing?

GFreak45

Reaction score
it takes so long because its loading like 1000 high res textures, it preloads most of them, thats why you can browse them so fast when its open
And you only need to set one icon, just the icon field, not the alert field

GFreak45

Reaction score
well, they are loaded from your dependancies so if you only want to use a certain set, you can create a new mod (just like creating a map but theres no terrain) by creating a new map, but before you click create, click the drop down menu that says map, select mod, then import the icons you want, and make that the only dependancy of your map. The only issue is, in doing this you cant copy stuff from the original game, which may be a negative for you >.>

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
don't understand exactly what you saying, so if I create a new map without the dependecies, I'm still able to load this units?

GFreak45

Reaction score
basically its like making a map, with none of the original stuff from the game, and no terrain. Then making all your stuff. then when you make the actual map you can click the "dependencies" tab and add the mod you made, and you will be able to use all of that stuff from the map you made before

Mod is the same as a map with no terrain that can share its information with a normal map

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
While what GFreak said should work, I strongly recommend against it. Messing with dependencies after you've started a project is a bad idea, so if you ever find yourself wanting some default unit(or even a modified one), you'll have to recreate it from scratch or add the dependency or copy it over. Either way, it's a lot of work.

The list takes a long time to load(2-3 seconds for me, I think). If you want upgrades to have the same icon, you can copy and paste the field without ever opening the list. Press the field value you want to copy and paste(don't double-click, like you're modifying it. Just select it). Press Ctrl + C and select the field you want to paste it over and press Ctrl + V. This way, you can copy the icon that a button uses to several other buttons.

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
didn't know this siretu thanks!

but if I remember correct, the only way to make new buttons with the same icon is adding an icon to a button, then copy/paste the button

so you're saying I must copy the 'field' do you mean the browse-assests?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.