Problems with java and openGL again...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,
maybe you remember, i had this programm uploaded some time ago:
http://www.thehelper.net/threads/please-test-my-tilemap-system.158398/
screenshot-png.18109
And i had uploaded it also on some other forums to have people test it.
Now, the problem is, one of them reported a problem with the programme and i really dont know how to fix it.
He says he is using windows 7 64bit, an ATI HD Radeon 6570 and he can start the programme, but, after a few seconds it turns into this:
Ex.png
So i was wondering what could be the cause for this?
I had many other people test the programme and nobody had the same problem, it only happened to this guy. And he says its starts fine, but after a few seconds into running the programme the problem occurs.

Now the code for that programme is so simple that i could really not see any reason why a bug could be responsible for this, especially since he is the only one who reported such behaviour.

Would be really nice if somebody knew a solution.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
Love your avatar ;D

Since you're using Java it's probably not something related to the language itself.

Leaves OpenGL. There are many different OGL driver implementations. Mobile graphics cards use others than desktop graphics cards, older cards use others than newer ones.
Just because of that there's several things that might happen:

#1: A bug in his driver. Not unheard of, but rare.
#2: Different undefined behavior. You're using OGL in a way it's not meant to and it just happens to not work on some implementations.
#3: Missing features. Not every implementation provides you with the same OGL features. If something is missing or partially working it might cause problems.

I'd put my money on #2. It usually is something along that lines.

Now onto how to debug it.
I can think of one thing off the top of my head.

There is a nice tool called glIntercept. It's basically a .dll file that you can shove inbetween your program and the actual OGL drivers. It'll monitor all interaction between the two and give you an error log if something didn't work.

Here's the link to the website:
http://code.google.com/p/glintercept/

I've only used it for C++ applications yet, but here's some info on how to make it work for Jogl:
http://code.google.com/p/glintercept/issues/detail?id=4

After the glIntercept .dll is in place and you set up the .ini you can run your program and check the logfile afterwards.
You'll see a listing of all warnings/errors your program produced.
Finding out where and why they appear is sometimes a bit tricky, but the OGL documentation is a good place to start looking:
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/
It'll show you under which circumstances any function will create a certain error.

I suggest you try glIntercept on your machine and on the dude who reported the error (if he's ok with it).
Maybe you'll find warnings/errors on your computer that are successfully handled by your OGL implementation but still cause his problems.

Another thing you can try is asking him to download the OGL Extension Viewer.
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.php
It'll show detailed information about his OGL driver implementation. He can pass you his driver version and list of supported OGL extensions and you can cross-reference it with yours.
Maybe you can find an unsupported extension that might be the cause of this.

Yea, the joys of debugging for different machines.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Love your avatar ;D
Thank you very much.

There is a nice tool called glIntercept. It's basically a .dll file that you can shove inbetween your program and the actual OGL drivers. It'll monitor all interaction between the two and give you an error log if something didn't work.
Will definitely keep that in the back of my head for the future. Looks like it will probably come in handy at some point or another.

Another thing you can try is asking him to download the OGL Extension Viewer.
Sounds handy, will keep that link too.

But back to my original problem:
As it seems it was solved just a minute ago.
After several failed attempts of fixing it i told the guy to reset his graphic cards driver settings back to default and this sealed the deal.
Sorry I have bothered you guys with this again but for some reason it always happens to get solved exactly when i open a thread here, lol.
But your post was definitely helpful regardless! Thanks for the support.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
it always happens to get solved exactly when i open a thread here, lol.
You should probably post every problem right away then =)

On that note: I lost my USB stick. Can anyone help meh? :D
*looks around and waits that it magically appears now*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.