Professionally done DVD cover prints for Tetris and Iron Soldier...anyone have extra?

3DOMan

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I was going to print my own but anyone have any extras for sale? I'm looking for really nice ones.

If not, any tips on how to print them and get the best results? I don't have a fancy graphics printer so I'll probably have to go to a print shop

megarat

Cool Member
Reaction score
The only advice I can offer is:

(a) take it to a professional print shop, since it will look better that what you can do at home and will likely be worth the extra $.$$.

(b) use a heavier stock paper; not necessarily card stock, but heavier than standard printer paper. The actual inserts look to be fairly glossy, so I would keep that in mind as well. It might be helpful to bring in an actual DVD insert (probably not the exact one you are copying, to alleviate any concerns about copyright infringement that the shop might have, but something qualitatively similar) and say, "I want the paper to be like this."

(c) this is probably obvious, but if you're going to make multiple copies, do a test first, to make sure you're happy with it.

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
Im with megarat, Id say use at least 60 pound glossy and maybe up to 120 pound depending on what you want. I wouldn't go over that though.
Also if your doing this yourself, most normal ink jet printers(at least the ones I've used) can run 60 pound(anything more maybe but I wouldn't recommend trying it) so you wouldn't really need to spend the extra money on the professionals unless you wanted extremely good quality.
Also just some advice, look around your town for a vocational high school with a Graphic Communications program that takes jobs as part of the curriculum, they usually have some good printing equipment and are much cheaper then most other print shops (as well as your giving students some experience :) )

3DOMan

Reaction score
Ah ok thanks, Ive seen some really nice Tetris covers, I was hoping somebody might have an extra one kicking around.

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
I seem to remember going to Kinkos to print mine at the time.

viMaster

Reaction score
I'm planning on creating a custom Next Tetris one for fun, but I don't know when that will be yet. I never did it when I had the game, but now that I don't have it, it sorta got lowered on the priority list, but if no one has a good quality one in the coming months, I may get around to it.

The only way you're going to get something halfway decent without it being an inkjet printout or from a professional printing press is to take it to Kinkos and have them do it on their laser. Actual DVD inserts are actually not very heavy at all. I just have them print on their glossiest laser paper. As long as you do that, you should be good.
The other option for a truly professional job would be to send it to an actual professional press. There, you're going to run into more costs, though. If they do it on their digital press, then it's probably about the same quality as kinkos & their laser printer, but you'd have to have a minimum order with a professional press -- at least 20-25 to make it worth your while. If you want to go with an offset press, which is the best, you're looking at a minimum print of at least 200-500 and there's usually setup costs involved as well.

I'd just go to kinkos if you only want/need 1.

3DOMan

Reaction score
So how does that work? Should I bring the file in on a usb drive or cd or sd-card?

megarat

Cool Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've done it, but yeah, I recall that you take the image in on a flash drive, and tell them at the counter which file you want printed on which size/type paper, and what quality/type of printout (e.g., color laser). I recommend that the files you want printed be the only ones on the flash drive, so that the staff don't get confused about which ones to print out.

Also, if it's not clear, I concur w/viMaster about using Kinko's. (Now called FedEx Office at most locations.) I was including them under the rubric of "professional print shop".

This is probably a personal thing, but I would still recommend considering a heavier-stock paper. I think it holds up better, and that sometimes the heavy laser printing itself can create slight creases in the paper, which I personally think looks cheap. (It's also possible that my opinions are formed by the technology of yesteryear, and that this is no longer an issue, so feel free to experiment.)

K3V: your Next Tetris artwork looks like it could be cleaned up reasonably easily with a small amount of Photoshop work. If I get a break in my schedule I may take a stab at it.

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It prints out pretty well but I must've had a pretty bad monitor when I created that because you can really see the shoddy cutting and pasting in there. Hurts the eyes to look at because I could do so much better now!

3DOMan

Reaction score
I'll tell you what, k3v, you make a really nice professional one I'll buy one from you.

megarat

Cool Member
Reaction score
I had a spare moment this afternoon, and it seemed like a relaxing endeavor, so I took a quick ( < 30 minutes) pass at cleaning up K3V's TNT cover.

http://www.megarat.com/tmp/tntcover.jpg

Most of the work involved leveling out some of the shading/artifacts, but I also made a design decision and added a border around the starfield on the front cover, to make it appear more deliberate. I thought about blacking out the blue field behind the "TETRIS" on the spine, since it still has some of that copy-and-paste look, but it's not so bad and didn't seem worth the effort.

Oh, and to be consistent, I added a "TM" to the "TETRIS" on the spine, since it was also on the cover. (I didn't go whole-hog and do it to all the "Tetris"es on the back cover, although the annoying completist in me really really wants to.)

megarat

Cool Member
Reaction score
Do you plan on hosting that file on the web site yourself? Personally, I'd prefer not to be responsible for hosting it, and I clean up that tmp directory every few months, so unless it gets archived somewhere it might have a short web-life.

3DOMan

Reaction score
Megarat that looks good if you do a professional print of that I'll buy one off you!

megarat

Cool Member
Reaction score
It wasn't my plan to do any personal prints, but I could be persuaded if there's enough interest. (Say, 10 or more for both IS3 and/or TNT.) PM me if you're interested (at an estimated cost of US$2-5 apiece, including domestic shipping).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.