Programming Simple Games

Knights

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been wondering of a good programming language to program simple games with.

I'm thinking of potential 3D games, but for starters 2D games.

So, this language would need the ability to "import" or create images.

If anyone has any ideas on a nice and simple and great language for me to use, that would be excellent.

Thanks,
Knights:cool:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I found that Visual Basic is good for learning the basics (if/then, for/else statements, and how to apply them, made duckhunt with VS :p), but after that, you move into flash and C++ to make well-made animated games.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
You say you should move into Flash, but actually Flash is a great place to learn. You can easily make animations, and the script is VERY easy to understand. Of course, learning from scratch is a total pain. I suggest for 2d games use Flash, then, go to flashkit.com/tutorials and read up on some of the game tutorials.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
You say you should move into Flash, but actually Flash is a great place to learn. You can easily make animations, and the script is VERY easy to understand. Of course, learning from scratch is a total pain. I suggest for 2d games use Flash, then, go to flashkit.com/tutorials and read up on some of the game tutorials.
I dunno, I find that people who jump right into game programming lose certain aspects to coding, such as other useful ideas for different statements. Eh, whatever you feel comfortable with works, I guess.

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score

If you are just starting out with programming I suggest you use flash 8 if you're gonna use flash. Flash CS3 with AS3 is too complicated for new programmers that don't know any bit of the C programming language.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Adobe already made a new version of Flash?
Boy, I wish Macromedia wasn't bought out.
Sorry for the offtopicness :p

Edit > I googled, there's no such thing as Flash CS3 apparently.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Personally I could never get flash going

I use vb, it is good for designing games, but even better is XNA Game Studio 1.00

It is specificly designed to create XBOX 360 and Windows Games, it uses C# as its language, and is quite similar to pretty much all C type languages...

The best tutorial for this ever (3d games)
Pwnage Tutorial

The first is a mountain, the second is a flight simulation with bullets and shooting stuff :D which is cool. (You make them)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/downloads/default.aspx

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/directx/aa937795.aspx

It may be a slight hassle to find all the bits and set it up, but it is totally awesome. and they are free

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
If you are just starting out with programming I suggest you use flash 8 if you're gonna use flash. Flash CS3 with AS3 is too complicated for new programmers that don't know any bit of the C programming language.

You can make flash with AS2 on CS3 ;).

I'd go with Flash or Game Maker, I may start posting flash tutorials here if enough people start asking about them xP.

---

btw, get on msn mase! xP.

Knights

Reaction score
Flash, is that free? Last time I tried to get flash I had the impression that it costed money.

The XNA thing looks really good, I'm fooling around with it at the moment.

I'm "sort of" a beginner with programming, but I've done a little C++ and other languages and mapping WC3 really helps, as most of the GUI triggers relate to all the commands in most languages.

Game Maker is pretty boring, I've made some simple games with it, but it's kinda "easy" for me..if you know what I mean. I'd rather have a pure language and graphics softwear then a GUI one.

Thanks for all the ideas,

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
Don't do Visual Basic, you will get bad programming habits from that.
Do-
C++ - if you're really seroius about this and are willing to take the time to learn it + Directx (dont get a visual c++ compiler, a normal one is best)

or

C# - a simpiler version of c++. I would suggest this for you b/c its easier to learn, plus Microsoft came out with an addition to it called the XNA framework which makes game making easy. You can do both 2d and 3d games for windows and the 360.
C# Compiler- http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualcsharp/
XNA framework- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=12ADCD12-7A7B-4413-A0AF-FF87242A78DE&displaylang=en

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
Flash, is that free? Last time I tried to get flash I had the impression that it costed money.

And why would that change? Lol.

Knights

Reaction score
Yeah, Visual C# and C++ cost money and a compiler for C++ also costs money.

I'm looking for free programs :D

mase said:
And why would that change? Lol.

I had the "impression" it costed money, but nowhere did I see a price or anything, so maybe it was ALWAYS free, I just had the "impression" that it costed money..

:nuts: Meh I'm going crazy tryin' to explain it.. It doesn't matter, I'm now preeety sure that it costs money :(

But yeah, so far thanks for the excellent help,

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Good luck, it takes a long time to learn how to code 3D games.

Better learn that Trig fast. ;P

Knights

Reaction score
:D I'm starting with 2D of course..

Oh yeah, and with my Visual C# it gives me the impression it's a "trial" for 30 days, after that I need to add a "registration key"..I assumed you needed to pay for that?

Well anyways thanks for the help yet again, and thanks for the C++ compiler,

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes Game maker is good for 2D and sometimes 3D (Mainly Shooting games)
You just have to get your own sprites unless you want to get the resource packs which I suggest getting them all

Knights

Reaction score
Yes but, Game Maker is mostly GUI am I not correct? I mean it's fun and all, but I was thinking more of a pure launguage based way, like how JASS is compared to GUI in WC3 mapping. Except it needs to be easy to import images or models..instead of having to create them yourself within the program or instead of having a confusing way to add the image that you cannot figure out :(

Well, thanks again,

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Game Maker contains a high level language (language exclusive to it) you can use to do complex things like online games.
In fact I would really suggest GM to you...things you can do with it easily require a lot more efford somewhere else.
C++ in it's pure form can only do the engine. You need a separate library/SDK to for graphics and another for sound. For this I recommend SDL, you only need some basic C++ knowlege (syntax for instance) to use it.

For 3D games you can use 3d RAD. A very long time since I last checked there, but it appears to be completely free now (as opposed to the old version which only had a limited demo for free).
Also it also has a high level language IIRC so this might be a great thing to use for 3D games.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.