Programming Simple Games

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Yes but, Game Maker is mostly GUI am I not correct? I mean it's fun and all, but I was thinking more of a pure launguage based way, like how JASS is compared to GUI in WC3 mapping. Except it needs to be easy to import images or models..instead of having to create them yourself within the program or instead of having a confusing way to add the image that you cannot figure out :(

Game Maker comes with a language for the more advanced users.

Although SFilip's link looks pretty nice, I suggest taking a look at this for 2D games, once you learn the language, you're pretty unlimited to the choice of game you make.

You can go to some kind of forum either at Yoyo Games or an unofficial forum found at google to learn the language :).

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and with my Visual C# it gives me the impression it's a "trial" for 30 days, after that I need to add a "registration key"..I assumed you needed to pay for that?

Well anyways thanks for the help yet again, and thanks for the C++ compiler,
Knights

Your impression is most incorrect.

It is absolutely free, go to Windows - Register, it gets you to sign in, and gives you a key, pretty much like that,

Microsoft Visual C#, Visual Basic (Which is very good)

They have absolutely wonderful compilers, it fixes most of your mistakes, and has an ABSOLUTELY exellent debugger.

XNA is also free, they also have a Visual J# compiler (For java), and many others, they are all free, and very nice I must say.

Visual Basic, is good for general programming.

XNA for XBox360/Windows Games.

Personally Knight, I recommend you follow the tutorial I gave on my first post about XNA Game Studio 1.0, it is very simple, and is fun (Part 2 is much more fun)

Series (Or part) 1 you basically design 3D terrain (A mountain) some water, few different colours etc..

and you can rotate it with the Left/Right arrow keys to change your view.

Which is cool

(For XNA Game Studio, and all products I have talked about, can be a little fiddly when trying to register for the first time, (it gets easier) however is worth the effort (if any))

XNA is very simple, because all you need to do is learn C# to use it, you do not have to fiddle with setting up DirectX or OpenGL or anything like that, it is the best.

Again, I say, they are all 100% free, you do have to register, but registration does not require payment, or anything else.

Cheers

:shades:

Knights

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch everyone..

I tried installing XNA , but it says Requires C# express edition SP1 or something, so I downloaded Visual C# Express Edition for my computer, but the error still comes up with XNA..

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Knights:cool:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
funnily, the best way to leanr programming is starting from warcraft (i find)

i learnt strings, variables, etc

then basic jass, with all the functions and all

you should understand a lot of programming after this.

I used VB for a while...

im learning C# now

Knights

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Oh, I've done my fair share of mapping..:D

But I feel moving on would be a good thing..so I could do things which would apply further in life and may make me money, where as a WC3 map would never make somone money..

C++ looks like my best option to begin learning ATM, since I already know a bit of it, but I'll also use GM7 and XNA..

Thanks again for the suggestions,
Knights:cool:

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
One tip for you before you start - DO NOT go with C# or a .NET based language first.
Learn C++ first (even better would be C before that, but it might be too time consuming and irrelevant in game development) and then you can easily continue to C# and have the knowledge of both. On the other hand going with C# first will make it extremely difficulty (if not impossible) to learn a language like C++. And C++ is by far better from several reasons
-not a Microsoft product (self-explanatory, working with something made by M$ equals selling your soul to them, or to rephrase...paying them to take your soul)
-cross-platform (C# is *sort_of* thanks to Mono)
-more support (while C# can be considered a growing community, C++ resources are by far easier to find)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.