progressive lag

U

Unregistered

I noticed that as I play Battlefield on my laptop, the gameplay progressively gets choppier! When I first start the game it runs really well, but after about 5 min. of play the game starts to lag. I'm thinking it has to do with something overheating (graphics card, processor, etc.). Can anyone provide me with any insight or solutions? Much appreciated

U

Unregistered

You probably need more RAM. I'm guessing maybe you play for a bit then all the RAM is used up and the computer resorts to using parts of your hard drive as RAM, which will slow everything down, including your game.

U

Unregistered

specs

I have like 384 MB RAM on my laptop. I would think that would satisfy the requirement. Am I naive to think that 384 RAM is good enough? If someone has this much RAM on their computer and Battlfield runs fine, please reply.

U

Unregistered

it hogs up 480 megs minimum

512 is not a luxery for the game

U

Unregistered

Well then how come the recommeded gameplay requires only 256 MB RAM?

U

Unregistered

I have the exact same problem on my 256MB
laptop. I believe the fact that it gets choppier
with time (after a few minutes of playing)
speaks for itself - it's some kind of a bug
in the program. When I ran the demo, it
was very smooth on the same hardware,
however the choppiness happens in the full
version regardless of the "performance
settings".

It is especially noticable when
others are near me or are shooting at me.
I tried profiling the memory consumption by
running that (Ctrl-Alt-Del) program in the
background, and it looks like it does not
even use all memory, however the CPU
is used close to 100%. So I'm now sceptical
that upgrading the RAM will help (it will
cost me $250 to upgrade to 1GB).
For the record, it a P4-M 1.8GHz, 256MB,
7500 Radeon 32MB, Fujitsu E-7110.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
yes the game will use up alot of cpu time .

server sided it does not take more then 256 megs for a dedicated server

but the client version ie the game ... it doesn't go above 512 on my machine with win2k but it is a close thing.

win xp takes 128 megs for itself allready . so 256 is maybe recommended when the game would play on DOS ...

i tried the game on very low sys specs based computers and 800 mhz is indeed enuff .. but with the memory they are way off.

i have 1.5 gb of ram wich is total overkill but i just like to switch from bf1942 to my server manager without having to wait a second ;)

U

Unregistered

Hey wargasm, your message confused me! Does that have anything to do with laptops?

U

Unregistered

it works, i think...

I was experimenting with my laptop and I found out that BF lagging might have something to do with the temperature inside the laptop. I only have one fan in my laptop. When I play it inside my room it starts to lag after about 4 min. of gameplay. So, after much frustration and desperation I took my laptop and played it outside where it was much cooler. To my suprise, I played on and on without choppy gameplay! I even took it back inside and it started to lag after about 2 min. or so. Then I took it back outside and after a few min. it was smooth again. Does this suprise anybody? What can I do to help cool down my laptop inside?

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
in a way it is rather logic now you mention the heat .
i can imagine that some notebook companies take advantage of the speed stepping of certain cpu's
when it get's too hot the cpu slows down ..

normally speed stepping should slow down a cpu when your using say notepad .

U

Unregistered

So how can I fix my laptop without having to go outside in the cold to play battlfield?

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
i dunno if this is the real problem heat .
i do know that certain companies like toshiba for example issued out bios patches to clock the cpu lower .
this was a different case coz thosiba put in p4 desktop cpu's into notebooks and they got so hot the system would shutdown totally . wich is a feature at the p4 desktop cpu that will shutdown if it is going to burn itself up ..

so i can imagine that some companies would do something simmilar with speedstep cpu's

gonna call an intel rep tomorrow see if he can provide me with that info .

however if it wouldbe the case extra ram would take off workload from the harddrive wich can be a source of heat if it has to acces the pagefile alot .

we see .

U

Unregistered

Indeed, overheating could explain the
progressive lag in the laptops.

P4-M docs say it can switch to
cooler/slower mode if it gets too hot.

Question 1: does anyone know
how to detect and log speedstep/throttling
events if and when they happen, so
that one could know for a fact that
this actually happens during BF sessions?

Question 2: Has anyone who _had_
this problem seen it go away after a
memory upgrade?

U

Unregistered

i wouldent go with anything less then 512 for battlefield. it is a really really resource intensive game. minimum of 64 megs of graphics memory too. preferably 128 for playing with the graphics all the way up. or a really good 64 meg card with DDR ram. but if i were you i would up the ram. ram is cheap right now and it shouldent cost you to much. The guy up above is right it would take some strain off your hard drive and will make it run better. if you do do this come back and let us know what happens.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.