Progressive Rock

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Progressive Rock

theladder.jpg
"The Ladder", by Roger Dean*

This is my favourite genre music to listen to, but the majority of people dismiss it as "Boring", or "Gay". This genre is made up by people who don't care one smidgen about money, but sacrifice their lives making music that will be remembered forever (despite the fact that it is being ignored at the moment)

Here is the Definition of Progressive Rock, as Prog Archives defines it (which is the secret meeting grounds of Prog music lovers)

Progressive rock ("prog") is an ambitious, eclectic, and often grandiose style of rock music which arose in the late 1960s principally in England, reaching the peak of its popularity in the early 1970s, but continuing as a musical form to this day. Progressive rock was largely a European movement, and drew most of its influences from classical music and jazz fusion, in contrast to American rock, which was influenced by rhythm & blues and country, although there are notable exceptions in the New World such as Kansas and Rush — considered by many to be the finest examples of the form. Over the years various sub-genres of progressive rock have emerged, such as symphonic rock, art rock and progressive metal.

Progressive rock artists sought to move away from the limitations of radio formatted rock and pop, and "progress" rock to the point that it could achieve the sophistication of jazz or classical music. It is admired by its fans for its complexity, requiring a high level of musical virtuosity to perform. Critics have often derided the genre as pompous and self-indulgent. This is because, unlike such stylistically consistent genres as country or hip hop, progressive rock is difficult to define in a single conclusive way. Outspoken King Crimson leader Robert Fripp has voiced his disdain for the term. The major acts that defined the genre in the 1970s (Yes, Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Rush and King Crimson) do not sound alike. There is also debate on whether bands such as The Beatles, Phish, and Radiohead belong to the genre.

• Click HERE for even more details about Progressive Rock

Anyone with an open mind, and a true lust for music can enjoy Progressive Rock, and it will most likely become their favourite genre (as it did for I). However, enjoying it does not come easily; you have to work for it (which is a main factor in its unpopularity). One album spin will not suffice, you have to listen to a complete album 3-4 times before it really sinks it, but once it does, oh boy is it worth it.

If you are considering diving into Progressive Rock I suggest you start buy LEGALLY PURCHASING albums or listening to free songs at Prog Archives from these bands, which are more easy to enjoy at first.

• Yes
  • King Crimson
  • Genesis
  • Emerson, Lake & Palmer
  • Pink Floyd
  • Jethro Tull
  • Rush
  • Porcupine Tree

Here are some Progressive Rock videos from Youtube, I suggest you take some time out of your day to watch these

Here is a classic song by Yes, "Heart of the Sunrise"
[youtube]8_l4-TMq4yI[/youtube]
Here is Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) playing "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight"
[youtube]RdD6L4cKKU8[/youtube]
Here are two INSANSE keyboard loaded songs by Emerson, Lake & Palmer

"Hoedown"
[youtube]N0FuFfcCZiE[/youtube]
"Nutrocker"
[youtube]rX0vOYwHj30[/youtube]
Here is Rush playing "Natural Science", a Progressive Hard Rock classic...
[youtube]OiALhzIkuqY[/youtube]
Rick Wakeman, Keyboardist from Yes doing some insane stuff (My favourite keyboard player)
[youtube]jDsvZGM1vD8[/youtube]

You can also discuss every minute detail of music, or just hang out at the Prog Archives Forum, which is a very friendly and large community.

thanks for taking your time to read this, and I hope you learn to enjoy this wonderful genre of music.

Ozzdog

=====================================================

*More Roger Dean art here:
Roger Dean is a world renowned artist, who has painted album covers for many Progressive Rock bands, such as; Yes, Asia, Pink Floyd, and many more...

Here is some more of his art, he has a very unique style of painting fantasy landscapes.

"Blue Desert"
BlueDesert1024x768.jpg

"Pathways"
Yessongs_Pathways.jpg

"Relayer"
relayer.jpg

"Tales From Topographic Oceans"
e3f0040c.jpg

For more information on Roger Dean, visit his website: RogerDean.com

=====================================================

Here is a photo that live updates all my *progressive* song info. It is generated at ProgFreak, which uses data from LAST.FM

Ozzprog.png

Zakyath

Reaction score
Doesn't Marillion play progressive rock? I love what they did during their Fish-era

>However, enjoying it does not come easily; you have to work for it (which is a main factor in its unpopularity). One album spin will not suffice, you have to listen to a complete album 3-4 times before it really sinks it, but once it does, oh boy is it worth it.

That's not just progressive music. It's all (good) music. Usually, your favourite songs are those who you had to learn to like.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Marillion is a premier Progressive Rock band.

If you check out Prog Archives, you will see that Marillion is one of the top bands under "Neo-Prog", which is one of the many Prog sub-genres (you get to know them all, after lots of expereince :p)

Ozzdog

Reaction score
For anyone who lives in North Easter America, NEAR Fest (North Easter Art Rock Festival) is coming in June, and I suggest that any prog rockers here check it out.

http://www.nearfest.com/event/lineup.asp

This year has the most flamboyant bands to see live, and will be a once in a LIVEtime expereince, I suggest you check the link!

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Dream Theater is also a progressive rock band.

I heard these from my uncle's comp when I was a kid, and I had time to pick up with the tunes and eventually liked the songs..

I have 5 of their albums..:D

Ozzdog

Reaction score
jonadrian619 said:
Dream Theater is also a progressive rock band.

Dream Theate is mainly considered to be Progressive Metal, however they do have some very good Rock songs, my favourite being Octavarium.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Here is a Progressive Rock album art collage I have made out of my favourite albums. Its nothing amazing, but it looks kinda cool :).

Code:
See if you can find out which albums are in it!
Finished.jpg

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Oh thank god, I knew atleast one other person here would share my feelings with progressive Rock :)

Gentle Giant is one of the highest thought of bands from the 70's, and they have the most (in my opinion) unique style of playing of all time. They are not my favourite band, but they are up there :)

What other prog do you listen to?

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
That's not just progressive music. It's all (good) music. Usually, your favourite songs are those who you had to learn to like.

Aka: Not pop / radio music / actual music that is not produced by formula's and large industries investments.

Also I would argue 'progressive' is like a musical genre prefix. Progressive music of all kinds exist. I'm into the electronic music myself.

Ozzdog I like that picture.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Jimpy said:
Also I would argue 'progressive' is like a musical genre prefix. Progressive music of all kinds exist.

This is absolutely true. There is pretty much a Progressive genre of any music, for Progressive essentially means creating something new. However, Progressive Rock was so popular in the 70's (and it seems to be making a comeback now, with a load of new bands), that it has become recognized as a genre, with genre sub categories.

P.S. can you find out which albums are in my picture? :)

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Alot of progressive rock really annoys me, but when it's done right there's nothing better.

My other favourites are King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Van Der Graaf Generator and Pink Floyd, and I also like Yes, Genesis, Rush, Emerson Lake and Palmer and Mike Oldfield.

I haven't heard much of them but I do like what I've heard of Mahavishnu Orchestra, Porcupine Tree, Caravan, Supertramp, Anglagard and Focus. My prog obsession began only recently so I haven't quite built up my collection yet, haha.

EDIT: My favourite prog songs: Starless - King Crimson
21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson
Money - Pink Floyd
Darkness - Van Der Graaf Generator
Roundabout - Yes
School - Supertramp
Knots - Gentle Giant
Minstrel in the Gallery - Jethro Tull

I really love Gentle Giant's uniqueness, and their music can be so god damned funky. I really love good funk music :p

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Well you my friend, are exactly how I was around 3 years ago. Your collection seems to be exactly how mine was at that time, but since mine has exploded. Keep listening, and enjoying.

Lots of Prog Rock really annoys me as well, so I try my best to see the good sides, and if I still don't like it after a couple spins, I will forget about it. Then a year or two later, the songs will randomly pop up on your shuffle playlist, and you will be like "hey! this song is good, I wonder who its by?", and its by the artist you never used to like. The moral of this story is; Give everything lots of time, and you will very likely find quality in it.

My favourite NEW bands are
Beardfish
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
IQ (well theyre not really new, but they are still EXTREMELY active for an old band)
Kayo Dot
Pendragon
Porcupine Tree (great stuff)
Transatlantic (its a mix of the flower kings and liquid tension experiment)
Nexus
Simon Says

My all time favourite bands;

Yes
Genesis
King Crimson
GonG
Caravan
Focus
Frank Zappa
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Jethro Tull
(Thick as a Brick baby!)
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Pink Floyd
Premiata Forneria Marconi
(crazy Italians that sound like Yes mixed with Jethro Tull)
Renaissance (Orchestral Prog)

I know those are a lot of favourites, but I really could not choose between them, they are all so great in their own ways.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
I love GSY!BE and Frank Zappa, just forgot to list them haha.

I've heard most of those other bands too, just not listened to them. What I heard of Pendragon didn't really impress me (the song I heard was "Freakshow") but I'll probably give them another chance. Beardfish seem pretty awesome, too.

EDIT: Thick as a Brick is awesome :D

Ozzdog

Reaction score
I read in a older post that you like Funky stuff... If this is the case, you should check out Can, under the Krautrock sub-genre of Progressive Rock. If you decide to check them out, go to progarchives.com and listen to some song samples, i think you'll enjoy them!

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Here is some more Prog art I have wooped together. I think I'll use it as my signature on ProgArchives.com :)

AbsentiaOzz.jpg

(I have the same picture without the "OzzDog" on it, if its unapealing)

Album covers used:

Happy the Man - Crafty Hands
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
King Crimson - Islands

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Progressive is an incredible genre.
My favorite band, by far, has to be Dream Theater. All of them are incredible musicians, and their ability to implement jazz elements into Progressive Metal is incredible. I find it funny, though, how they are classified as "progressive metal," but yet, how versatile their music can be.

Some of my other prog favorites include Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull, Coma (Danish jazz band heavily influenced by Zappa), Three, and Porcupine Tree.

Ozzdog: I noticed the face from DT's SFaM on the left edge of your album compilation picture. ;)
EDIT: And the globe from Yes's Fragile. :D
RE-EDIT: And the prism for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon right below it.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
My favorite band, by far, has to be Dream Theater. All of them are incredible musicians, and their ability to implement jazz elements into Progressive Metal is incredible. I find it funny, though, how they are classified as "progressive metal," but yet, how versatile their music can be.

Some of my other prog favorites include Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull, Coma (Danish jazz band heavily influenced by Zappa), Three, and Porcupine Tree.

Ozzdog: I noticed the face from DT's SFaM on the left edge of your album compilation picture. ;)
EDIT: And the globe from Yes's Fragile. :D
RE-EDIT: And the prism for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon right below it.
Here are ALL the albums in (some less obvious, obviously :p)

Mahavishu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Dream Theatre - Scenes From A Memory
Caravan - For The Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings
Renaissance - Ashes Are Burning
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
Yes - Fragile
Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
GonG - Radio Gnome Invisible Pt. 1, Flying Teapot
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Camel - Mirage
Yes - Time And A Word

BOLD = Artist
Normal = Album

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score

I actually find I'm disliking Dream Theater less and less. While they are great technical/ensemble players, they lack the once epic melodies of their earlier (conservatory) days. Maybe I'm just getting all minimalist.

The new Steven Wilson solo album is totally awesome.

you might want to try Symphony X, they're a lot like DT, though more like fantasy power metal rock opera than straight up Prog.

Might also want to try Bubblemath, as they're much more progressive and based on jazz modes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.