Progressive Rock

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Lord_PHoenix said:
The new Steven Wilson solo album is totally awesome.

All Steven Wilson projects are amazing. I haven't had the chance of buying his new album, and my internet is too slow to stream the sample songs on progarchives.com. It was rated one of the top prog albums of 2008, so it must be alright :).

Woops, I lied when I said all Steven Wilson proects are amazing, I can't stand No-Man. Some people seem to like No-Man, but its boring and cheezy filth for me.

Symphony X is also good stuff, I would suggest starting with the "V: A New Mythology" album.

Lord_Phoenix said:
I actually find I'm disliking (i think you mean LIKING, unless you have a double negative) Dream Theater less and less. While they are great technical/ensemble players, they lack the once epic melodies of their earlier (conservatory) days. Maybe I'm just getting all minimalist.

I feel exactly the same way. After 6 Degrees (and even some songs on the album), DT has turned into boring and generic metal, too soft for hardcore metal fans, and too simple and lacking in melodies for Prog fans. The only song I've enjoyed past Scenes is the masterpiece Octavarium, which brings back memories from Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Floyd.

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
All Steven Wilson projects are amazing. I haven't had the chance of buying his new album, and my internet is too slow to stream the sample songs on progarchives.com. It was rated one of the top prog albums of 2008, so it must be alright :).

Woops, I lied when I said all Steven Wilson proects are amazing, I can't stand No-Man. Some people seem to like No-Man, but its boring and cheezy filth for me.

Symphony X is also good stuff, I would suggest starting with the "V: A New Mythology" album.

I feel exactly the same way. After 6 Degrees (and even some songs on the album), DT has turned into boring and generic metal, too soft for hardcore metal fans, and too simple and lacking in melodies for Prog fans. The only song I've enjoyed past Scenes is the masterpiece Octavarium, which brings back memories from Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Floyd.

Some of their recent works aren't too bad. Going to Roadrunner to appeal to a wider audience was a horrible choice, but some of their newer stuff is very appreciatable. You just have to look for it.

Stream of Consciousness from ToT was good, along with Vacant right before it.

Octavarium and These Walls were great.

And on Systematic Chaos, ItPoE Pt. 1 and The Ministry of Lost souls were worth it. Personally, I also liked the instrumental section of The Dark Eternal Night. :D

A more new, up-and-coming Prog band that I'm starting to get into is Tetrafusion. They're experimental prog metal, and I'm probably going to buy their premier album, Aboslute Zero, pretty soon. Worth a listen if you want to buy their album or listen to them on MySpace Music.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
As i said, and Phoenix said, i'm starting to not like Progressive Metal so much.

I am now starting to explore the "Tech/Extreme Prog Metal" genre, with bands like Kayo Dot, Devin Townsend, Opeth, and many more (I actually don't like Opeth, but they are a main band of the genre)

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Some of their recent works aren't too bad. Going to Roadrunner to appeal to a wider audience was a horrible choice, but some of their newer stuff is very appreciatable. You just have to look for it.

Stream of Consciousness from ToT was good, along with Vacant right before it.

Octavarium and These Walls were great.

And on Systematic Chaos, ItPoE Pt. 1 and The Ministry of Lost souls were worth it. Personally, I also liked the instrumental section of The Dark Eternal Night. :D

Dark Eternal Night was/is pretty much the only decent song in the entire album, or at least the only memorable song. Their old stuff is still good, but I feel like they lost their musicality or phrasing. As my friend puts it "too many notes". Just not enough melodic/thematic development in their music anymore.

It's on e-music if you have an account. Also on itunes etc. It's VERY worthwhile. Ironically, it had Jordan Rudess playing in it haha.

Never listened to it.

I agree. I also am beginning to question why it is still called "progressive metal" since there isn't anything truly progressive about it anymore. Progressive means to experiment and evolve beyond normal music. If we're taking pop as examples of normal music, than yes, DT is still progressive. However, compared to other forms of music it is WAY behind the times.

As i said, and Phoenix said, i'm starting to not like Progressive Metal so much.

I am now starting to explore the "Tech/Extreme Prog Metal" genre, with bands like Kayo Dot, Devin Townsend, Opeth, and many more (I actually don't like Opeth, but they are a main band of the genre)

I really consider Opeth to still be straight prog with some more goth influences. They personally really like them, their modulations, they're more acoustic feel on some songs and also really heavy songs as well. And their lead singer has a FANTASTIC voice.

Other music I'm listening to atm include Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, Thinking Plague (which I've mentioned), and really getting into Stravinsky again. I'm trying to get more into classical music.

If anyone is interested in e-music PM me w/your e-mail address and I can send you an invite (if you subscribe from me I get 50 free downloads :D)

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Lord_Phoenix said:
Other music I'm listening to atm include Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, Thinking Plague (which I've mentioned), and really getting into Stravinsky again. I'm trying to get more into classical music.

If you like Prog Rock, and Classical music (which usually goes hand in hand), I HIGHLY recommend that you get this album.

Ciclos by Los Canarios

It is a Symphonic Prog rendition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, and pays hommage to the composer in a magical and uplifting way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Tell me more about this music subscription, I don't understand.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Hahaha, I hate hate hate hate HATE symphonic metal with a fiery passion. I also dislike Vivaldi. Anyways, I really can't appreciate symphonic metal because they just take a popular/established tune and proceed to arrange it for decent reason. Very limited creativity on their part, and usually sounds worse than the original.

I dislike Vivaldi's four seasons because it's overplayed. There's so much other good baroque music out there, why Vivaldi all the time?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically imagine a WoW subscription for music. you pay a monthly fee (based on how much music you want to download. I'm currently on $15 a month for 50 downloads, which is about $.30 per song.) Every month you get 50 new downloads, though they don't carry over. It's WAY cheaper than Amazon and itunes, though they don't carry huge labels, as they're greedy bastards.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Lord_Phoenix said:
Hahaha, I hate hate hate hate HATE symphonic metal with a fiery passion.

Los Canrios isn't metal, Its symphonic rock. They hail from Argentina, in the time of golden prog, the 70's. They make Vivaldi's Four Seasons screen with life. This is not boring music.

However, from what I've read from you, you tend to like more Metal, and not so much Rock. I suggest you go to Progarchives.com and listen to some Symphonic Rock music, you'd appreciate it if you gave it a chance, I'm sure.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
It's close enough to the same thing. I hate the bastardization of orchestral music into rock or metal in all forms. The only time I find it decent was in Symphony X when they stole the opening of Mozart's Requiem (I think it was the Agnus Dei, though I havn't listened to it recently.), and even then it didn't comprise of the entire piece.

I have listened to Symphonic Rock/Metal before, hence I know I dislike it. To each his own.

Which is sorta hypocritical of me, since I like Bartok, Stravinsky, and Vaughn Williams, all of which who used music of folk songs in their works, but even then thet presented the music in a different and innovating manner. Watch Petroushka on youtube to see what I mean.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Well then you should try and listen to some extended Yes songs. I.E. Close to the Edge, The Gates of Delirium, Awaken, or anything off the Tales from Topographic Oceans album. They are definately basterdisations of any classic music, but symphonies of their own type, true magic.

I'm not trying to push you into trying to enjoying music that I like, simply because I think you should like what I like, but for the reason that I started listening to prog with only metal. Eventually I got bored of metal and decided to venture further into the 70's classic symphonic scene. When the music finally sunk in, I was so frustrated with the fact that I had missed out on all that music for such a long time, and it was soooooooooo great.

Almost everyone I know who listens to prog has started out like you, an avid metal fan, but willing to open to new things. Now most of these people preffer 70's prog over metal any day, but still enjoy it thoroughly.

Maybe this isn't your case, and you are happy to stick with Classical Music and Metal, but atleast give it a try, its worth you time.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Yes is a great band. Sometimes I find they're a little bit too electronics/keyboard heavy, but they have some great songs indeed. I think Leave It (a cepella version) is my favorite of theirs right now. I'm a sucker for a cepella lol.

Also The Ladder is good, which is the song that got me into Yes in the first place. It was used for the ending of Homeworld.

Well as a music performance major, I sorta need to listen to more "Classical" music.

Woo Berg! This is an example of what i'm listening to in "classical" music.

[YOUTUBE]4SbMZM9vzCg[/YOUTUBE]

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Well I can't watch that, due to 56k modem (10 minutes = several hours to load).

So you are studying Music? I find that extremely interesting. What instruments do you play? I play the saxophone, and wanting to learn the piano / keyboards soon enough.

As for your comments towards classical music, I understand that it is currently more highly regarded than prog rock from the 70's. But just wait a couple of years, and people will begin to realize what a great leap Prog made, changing music from "She Loves you YAYAYAYA!" to every other immaginable genre. Prog rock will be considered essential to learn about in music schools in teh future, I'm certain.

EDIT: If that's the only Yes you've heard, you're missing out. All the songs / albums you mentioned were from the 80s / 90s Yes scene, which is HUGELY different from the 70's (the difference between black and white). Seriously, check out Close to the Edge, its 18 minutes of pure ecstasy.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Hahaha, Oberlin (school I'm at) is closing it's classical sax department, and adding another section for the Jazz department. I have a friend in the classical sax department and I make fun of him all the time hahaha.

I'm a Clarinet performance major. Learning piano is pretty essential to any music training, especially classical training. I do pretty well considering how little I practice for it.

I just don't like the generalization of music as classical. I think classical as a time period as in Mozart and that crowd, rather than encompassing an entire genre.

I'm pretty sure prog won't be considered essential, simply because it uses the same compositional styles of music three centuries old, hence why I don't consider progressive music 'progressive'.

My amount of YES is pretty limited, as they're sorta hard to find online for a low low price... lol... I have 90125 and Tales from Topographic Oceans

Ozzdog

Reaction score
AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Saxophone is one of the most diverse instruments in the world. The different ranges of sound you can get from one is beyond the mind of any single person.

Interesting that you play the clarinet. When I first decided to learn an instrument, my 3 choices were "Saxophone", "Flute", or "Clarinet". This was several years ago, so I finally decided to go with Saxophone, because its so damn sexy (lol).

As for progressive rock copying "Classical Music", all genres have taken what they containt from something else. One could say that classical music copied the cavemen banging rocks together, even though its a bit outlandish to state that, its true. However, seeing as this a "Progressive Rock" thread, I feel that ranting about it should be allowed; Progressive Rock has taken classical music, livened it up, and added elements that the renaissance musicians would have never dreamed of.

As for Yes, you indeed own the two most contreversial albums they have yet to create. Tales From Topographic Oceans is a lover or a hater, some people are bored by its endless meanderings, while others are put into mindful trances (such as myself). As for 90125, this is considered the grand "Sell Out" of Yes, where many fans abandonned ship in search for something less cheesy. Give some more 70's Yes a chance.

P.S.

I love classical music as well, so I'm not trying to put it down in any way (I fall asleep to it every night).

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
I took your suggestion and looked at Bubblemath. It took a listen or two to really like them, but I'll probably be buying their album soon. I would really reccomend checking out Tetrafusion here. My reccomendation would be "The Beginning," as it's one of their best works. Really worth it if you have the time.

I never got heavily into the lighter, more classical side of progressive, but I'll have to check it out more.

Also: Rick Wakeman is insane. :p

Ozzdog

Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about Tetrafusion, but I'm not even sure what genre they play (i'm guessing heavier, because that's what you said you prefer!). I will check them out of ProgArchives.com, I'm sure they're there!

Also: Thank god, there is atleast one Wakeman fan on this god forbidden website!

THE 6 WIVES OF KING HENRY THE 8th; PHENOMENAL!

Ozzdog

Reaction score
I'm starting to listen to more and more Progressive Rock from Italy (which is recognized as a genre of its own). PFM, BANCO, QVL, Il Balleto Di Bronzo etc...

Good Stuff!

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Oh baby, anyone going to go to the ProgNation 09 tour?

Lineup:

Dream Theater
Pain of Salvation
Beardfish
Zappa Plays Zappa

amazing... I will be there if they come to Montreal...

swe_suffer

Reaction score
Ahh, yes progg.. great music. To bad it isn't too may bands playing this anymore.. Think I will see if i can find any of my dad's old LPs (he's a huge fan of proggresive rock) and digitalize them!

Notey *Ahh and the name brings back memorys of good ol' Swedish progg (wich isn't proggresive rock though..), wich a lot of you probably haven't heard. Great stuff too...

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Its prog, but its not Progressive? I don't understand your post.

And what band are you talking about "Notey"? If that is the band you speak of, I'm not familiar with them.

P.S. there are probably more bands playing prog rock now than there ever has been!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.