Progressive Rock

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Well it seems that Progressice Rock does fall under "Progg", which contains anything non-mainstream from Sweden.

I know lots of those artists / bands, good stuff!

Ozzdog

Reaction score
ZOMG BEARDFISH

From the Beardfish Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/beardfishband

Hi!
We can now announce that our new album is about to be released on InsideOut at the end of july this year. wihiiii!!!! So this will be the 5th in order.

The album is called "Destined Solitaire" and it contains 9 tracks and it will come as a digipack with an amazing artwork made by the talented Spencer Bowden. http://www.sub-id.com/lunareye/

BeardfishDestinedSolitairePromoCover300.jpg

More about this soon!

And do not forget to check out our tourdates here on myspace.

Cheers!
//Beardfish

Ozzdog

Reaction score
I am going to see the Progressive Nation '09 tour in Montreal (it was only 59.99 + tax!)

The lineup for this mega show extravoganza is...

Dream Theater (hopefully they will keep the crap from their new album minimal)
Pain of Salvation (who hardly leave Europe, so YAEH!)
Beardfish (The GODS of new Prog Rock, see above post!)
Zappa Plays Zappa (WOOO ZAPPA's SON!)

Anyone else got tickets, or plan on going?

Ozzdog

Reaction score
For anyone interested in checking out some strange, yet Extremely progressive (avant-guard / Extreme Metal), check it out this link.

http://www.maudlinofthewell.net/

The album was released free by the band (it was paid for by fans)

I suggest people check it out, and give it a couple listens before judging it.

Good stuff!:thup::thup::thup:

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Bad News:

Beardfish and Pain of Salvation lost their funding for the ProgNation '09 tour... they had to drop out.

They have been replaced by Bigelf, and (can't remember the band's name Mount the SUmmit or something)

I was too excited to see beardfish! (I am currently in tears)

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
it sounds like a variation of the words "New age rock" a new style. However it could just be the same as CCM, Christian Contemporary Music, its still gospel music but they wanted to broaden the range and add rock style into it, whether or not you like it, CCM or Progressive rock, for that matter is still rock, sure maybe they dont care about money, but what is generally the lifestyle of a rockstar? That is something no one can avoid

Ozzdog

Reaction score
ElderKingpin said:
Christian Contemporary Music

Speaking of Christian Contemorary and Progressive Rock in the same thread, who would immagine? You should check out Neal Morse, who is both of those genres... :) I suggest the "?" album.

P.S. Progressive Rock IS NOT the same thing as New Age Rock. Some Prog Rock might be under both categories, but it definitely isn't just a "rewording".

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
i dont support CCM just because i dont see it as right, and i enjoy the classic gospel, no sliding, nothing modern, such and such.

An album simply called "?" lol xD

Ozzdog

Reaction score
New Porcupine Tree album scheduled for release in September, called "The Incident".

porcupine_tree_the_incident.jpg

I am very curious on which styles Steven Wilson and the gang will choose to use, after (in my opinion) a weak Fear of a Blank Planet album. I am hoping they return to something such as Deadwing or In Abestia (or if I was really lucky The Sky Moves Sideways). But heck, maybe they will progress to something new and better, however I have my doubts.

Here is some studio footage of them recording http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2340855.aspx

Any Porcupine Tree fans here?

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Well I went to see the ProgNation '09 tour last Wednesday with some buddies.

The show featured Scale the Summit, BigElf, Zappa Plays Zappa and Dream Theater

Zappa Plays Zappa stole the show hands down; best music, best stage presence, best performance, best humor! BigElf was close behind (they had a mellotron and B-3 hammond on stage!), which their lead man Damon Fox awing the crowd with his keyboard talents.

Dream Theater's performance was easily forgettable (except for The Dance of Eternity and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence Medley.) I didn't like their lame metal guy antics...

Did anyone else see this show (I was in Montreal by the way), opinions?

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Last.fm is a really cool site I just signed up too. You can upload ("Scrobble") what you listen to automatically onto your profile. You can visually see your song listening stats, which I find to be very cool.

However, even cooler would be going to ProgFreak to get a forum signature that uses your Last.fm stats. I'm not sure if any other sites do this, but ProgFreak works great!

Here is mine (it updates every couple minutes or so)
Ozzprog.png

(I just started Scrobbling, so I don't have many listens yet :p!)

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Last.fm is a really cool site I just signed up too. You can upload ("Scrobble") what you listen to automatically onto your profile. You can visually see your song listening stats, which I find to be very cool.

However, even cooler would be going to ProgFreak to get a forum signature that uses your Last.fm stats. I'm not sure if any other sites do this, but ProgFreak works great!

Here is mine (it updates every couple minutes or so)
Ozzprog.png

(I just started Scrobbling, so I don't have many listens yet :p!)

Lol, nice Jethro Tull. Do love me some Thick as a Brick.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
My favourite song of all time = Thick as a Brick...

weeehheeeawww!

Boston is kickaszzzz too mate!

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
My favorite album as of late is definitely SymX's Twilight in Olympus.
Also contains my current favorite song, Through the Looking Glass.

Anyone know any other good SymX albums? I have that and The Odyssey, but I want more like TiO.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
V, The New Mythology is Symphony X's best album in my opinion... amazing prog metal album.

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
I've heard that's where TiO took its sound from. I'll have to check it out.

I also want to get Close to the Edge. Has a few of my favorite Yes songs, but I've yet to own it. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.