Progressive Rock

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Oh, I'd never noticed since I'd never seen the track listing, only that the ones I liked are on that album.

I suppose I like the whole album, then. :D

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
How's this for some PROG IN ACTION!? (this is my GH btw)

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Hah, awesome setlist.
I'm sure The Glass Prison is fun. You also took my 2 favorites from SfaM. :p

And then there's always some classic Zappa, and not to mention my first prog instrumental, Erotomania.

I'd love to play yours. XD

EDIT: Ah! And Al di Meola, too. :D

Ozzdog

Reaction score
I have a lot more songs to add, just takes a while so I haven't got around to it yet.

Its cool though, they are as good or better than the original GH song boards.

P.S. I like the medley from DT better than the Zep originals (and I am usually one to like originals better)

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Though I would try to keep this Prog Rock thread alive, so I'll post some of the new CDs I got for XMAS, and have bought with XMAS money.

Taal - Skymind
Skymind.jpg

One of the freshest things since the 70's, definitely prog at it's finest. Taal mixes eliments on Symphonic, (Gypsy Music?), Techno, and Metal to create one of the most odd yet satisfying albums around. These guys are a real treat to see live, they set up on stage with two drummers center stage with guitar and bass and keyboards in a circle around, with an orchestra in the back (good stuff!) Unfortunately, Taal is too obscure to be found on YouTube, so I cannot find a song to post for you guys.

Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
Caravan+-+For+Girls+Who+Grow+Plump+In+The+Night+(1973).jpg

If anyone reading this is familiar with this Canterbury band, I must warn you that this album is very anti-Canterbury. This album however is a triumphant return to form after a terrible previous album (Waterloo Lily). The band seems to make less use of keyboards / organs on this album, but throw in lots more viola, guitar, and throbbing bass to give it a real countryside feel. My personal favourite album from Caravan. Here are my two favourite songs off it (Yes, they are long, but well worth the listen):
[youtube]QLYgYI78IjI[/youtube]
[youtube]4ZRJ8jmDq-k[/youtube]

Genesis - Trespass
album-trespass.jpg

A classic Genesis album which I did already own on vinyl (its nice to have on CD for the car), so there were no surprises here. The first true Genesis album (the one before was essentially a different band with a retard producer), with an all-star music team. Anthony Phillips was the guitarist at this time (Not Steve Hackett), who brings a much more peaceful and quiet sound to this album that later stuff. However, its not all peace and quiet; The Knife is a hard-rocking prog classic with some pretty gritty stuff for Genesis (well, for metal fans this is still light pop :p). Here are my two favourite songs from the album:
[youtube]5XhDHJNuyXw[/youtube] (This version of The Knife is actually being performed by the Hackett era Lineup, but is still very similar, and GOOD!)
[youtube]5ONzI9cpEDc[/youtube]

Osanna - Palepoli
osanna-palepoli.jpg

A relic from the golden age of Italian music, the 70's. I'll admit, this is a hard one to like, and requires many spins to get into (if you ever do get into it). The music resembles very much the structure of Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull (to quote someone from progarchives.com), with two sidelong tracks which make use or recurring themes to create an ultimate epic. The styles on here are similar to Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso at times, but are more folksy at times, and harder rockin' at times. The music is difficult to describe, so just check out the first song on the album (side 1 divided into 3 parts, it is one song though.) *KEEP AN OPEN MIND!*
[youtube]uo2XR33_18I[/youtube]
[youtube]g6zkLc_PwnY[/youtube]
[youtube]9Iy-OY53OuI[/youtube]

============================================​

So there is my new CD list and mini-review.

Feel free to post anything you have recently purchased that is prog / prog-related!

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Birds and Buildings - Birds Flying Into Buildings
cover_221892932008.jpg

This album arrived in the mail a couple days ago, and I have given it probably 5-6 spins. I can say with confidence that this treasury of music will be remembered years from now, without a doubt. Dan Britton (the "leader" of this bad) is an absolute mastermind, he has managed to piece together the strangest forms of music, and gather a power-house band to perform it. What I find on this album is an eclectic mix of Zeuhl, Fusion, Jazz, and Classic Prog Symphonic (a la Yes). A lot of the time when many styles are merged like this, they are fragmented and do not meld completely, but not with Birds and Buildings. The entire is one cyclic song with recurring melodies, which sounds boring, but truly is not. I was at the edge of my chair the entire however many minutes it is. CHECK OUT THESE TWO MIND BLOWING SONGS! (you will not regret it...)

[youtube]fN-Mk4lXOv4[/youtube]
[youtube]2m-r6kekoJQ[/youtube]

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Porcupine Tree- Up the Downstair (Including bonus CD Staircase Infinities)
cover_343381912009.jpg

Steven Wilson, the founding member of Porcupine Tree claims this to be the first real album in their discography (the first being just a collection of songs)... and what an album it is. The music is a blend of Space / Trance / Hard Rock and occasionally some Electronic stuff. To me this is what the real PT sounds like (along with The Sky Moves Sideways), and not what PT would later become (even though they are still good later, just different!). This album is not to be listened to lightly though, you should turn this album on, lie down in a dark room and just let the music absorb into your brain as you blast into outer space. I have owned this album before, but I recently bought the deluxe edition with a bonus CD remastered in 5.1 (and the original disc is remastered as well), so now the space journey is maximized. I could not just pick two songs to post, so I will pick two from the original disc, and 1 from the "bonus" Staircase Infinities disc. I must remind you to listen to these songs in peace and quiet, and preferably with headphones to maximize your synthesized acid trip.

[youtube]KNTX5v-DTVQ[/youtube]
[youtube]JKogqeTxPs4[/youtube]
The next one is from the bonus Staircase Infinities disc:
[youtube]IixydU8N0HM[/youtube]

Ozzdog

Reaction score
There are rumours that Rush is working on a new album. I'm pumped for that.

Well it is true that they will be recording new material, but not necessarily an album. They are going to release their music in a way that not many Prog bands do....

Blabbermouth.net said:
RUSH drummer Neil Peart tells The Canadian Press that the band's next musical output may not come in the form of a traditional album.

Peart says that he has begun writing lyrics for a new project, but that the band feels "liberated" in a way from the album format.

He says RUSH might release a few songs immediately after recording them, and then release more once they're ready.

Peart's new rock version of "The Hockey Theme" — the iconic song that used to open "Hockey Night in Canada" telecasts — will debut tomorrow during TSN's broadcast of the Toronto-Philadelphia game.

Peart's version of "The Hockey Theme" will be used during select NHL on TSN broadcasts throughout the remainder of the NHL season. It will also be available for digital download on iTunes on Tuesday, January 19.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=133370

(I pretty much copied this info from another member's post on Progarchives.com, Drew.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Progressive Rock is too good to die, so I'm going to gravedig this.

Since its hard to get people to care about some really obscure stuff. I'll revive this by posting some catchy prog songs, or some bands that you maybe didn't know were even prog!

I'll post in alphabetical order, a couple more every day!

Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles (Arguably the first progressive rock song ever.)
[youtube]FxyJLxV0_-8[/youtube]

The Wanting Comes In Waves/Repaid - The Decemberists (Indie Prog Folk, beautiful album)
[youtube]WfKhydixkeA[/youtube]

Lucy Fears the Morning Star - Diablo Swing Orchestra (Very unique Avant-Gard prog metal... metalheads check this out!)
[youtube]qO_v90ZSrQk[/youtube]

The Canyon Behind Her - Dredg (Indie Prog Crossover, a very emotional and powerful song)
[youtube]S-CdB7-AFKw[/youtube]

That's all for now, tell me what you think!

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Here's a great band you probably haven't heard of - Mahavishnu Orchestra.

This is a song from their second lineup, including all-star violin player Jeal-Luc Ponty.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZO50qj0_1A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZO50qj0_1A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Progressive funk, anyone? :D

Ozzdog

Reaction score
I have seen Mahavishnu live! :p (well actually just John!)

Great band! Own all their 70's albums

(good try on finding a band I don't know thought :p)

Ozzdog

Reaction score
I posted the wrong link for my song :(

Here is the correct one!

Song page: [youtube]1_Vm-HMBuUs[/youtube]

Ozzdog

Reaction score
What....
no flow?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~
Hmmm, thanks for the C&C!

However, I will go ahead and say that I think it flows beautifully... Sure there are some parts where the mood dramatically changes, but that's done on purpose! I was more worried about being critiqued on my terrible keyboard playing abilities (I don't play keyboard).

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Another song I have made (not actually that progressive, more experimental). Tell me what you think!

[youtube]qVFrENUyBZo[/youtube]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.