project help, "mana" ratio, and testing

alt bringer

Reaction score
im working on a custom class project,

what im trying to do, since im mix & matching skills that cost different resources
im trying to figure out a way to convert them all to energy (as if caped at 100)

then comes the issue of testing my finished classes, im trying to find
something more definitive than comparing a custom to a similar official class and wondering "thats kinda close....right?"

this project is designed to revamp and create classes that still adhere to warcraft settings,
the end result, hopefully, will be a set of classes designed so that roles are not "changed"
yet opening "role gaps" in which i can insert custom "diversified" and "specialized" classes

since over time some groups and individuals would adopt and abandon various skills in order to better attain their own goals.
and others would forgo being strong in certain skills, for being simply sufficient in a broad spectrum of skills

for example; warlocks aint gona learn divine shield, ever, its just not their thing,
but they would how ever, eventually learn a frost nova or regrowth variant
learn to summon shadow fiends and/or ghouls

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
Had to re-read it a couple times...

It's rather difficult to compare resources like that. Each one has a different recharge rate. Also, there is a different "max" for each resource. Rage is always capped at 100, while Energy can get up to 130 (unless they changed some things). So let's say that you have a mage and a rogue. hypothetically speaking, the mage has 100 mana and the rogue has 100 energy. So the mage casts his spell, which costs 35% of his mana, bringing him to 65/100. The rogue uses an ability that costs 35 energy, also bringing him to 65/100. Now, mages rely on spirit to regain mana, and rogues just need to wait for the "tick". The rogue will regain 20 energy every tick, so by the next tick he's at 85/100. The mage must wait for the five second mana rule, he is unable to cast while he waits for mana, the rogue is free to casts ability after ability, until his energy is depleted, but all the while it is still regenerating.

As far as increased mana pools effect spells, and why more mana = better, I can't help you too well there. I prefer melee classes myself, don't play much casters. From what I've noticed though, it's mostly healers that need to worry about mana and mana regen. I don't see to many spell casters going OOM in a fight.

alt bringer

Reaction score
yea, sorry bout that, im not good at explaining things, i mostly ramble

what im tring to do is, since im mix & matching skills that cost diferent resources
im trying to figure out a way to convert them all to energy (as if caped at 100)

im gona edit the main post to state that clearer

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
Are you using an editing tool? Or a modified server or something? As far as your question goes though, I'd say converting the % to a solid number is a good place to start. I'd suggest changing the costs for balance reasons as needed though.

alt bringer

Reaction score
no im all pen and paper

its mostly just to create a couple of classes that i would be good at playing

cause so far WoW GW and AoC dont have a class that fits my play style
and ai allies in guild wars dont have decent prioritization

the project helps me vent the frustration of my lack of mmo skills and the lack of people to play with
(i am on a not quite official server)
so my plight isnt helped by the release of cataclysm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.