[Project] SC: Leaders

unju

Reaction score
Introduction

I am maybe a month away from having a playable prototype of the project I have been nurturing since 6-7 years ago. The project is important because there is a lack of similar custom maps: a competitive and dynamic small-scale RTS where the players fight for control of neutral buildings and in which individual units go up in ranks.

Main features

A- Neutral buildings. I am trying to go well and beyond what other games based on control points have done:
1) There will be 6 types of neutral buildings, each one offering different bonuses.
2) There will be different ways for players to interact with them, each one with different advantages and drawbacks. You can interact with neutral buildings by:
- Converting them by channeling an ability with leader units (which are more support-oriented than the WC3 heroes).
- Capturing them instantly with Engineers, which die in the process.
- Infecting them with Infestors, which makes the enemy unable to interact with the buildings for 45 seconds, but the buildings turns neutral and the Infestor dies once the effect ends.
- Unclaim them by exploding Banelings nearby, meaning that an enemy neutral building becomes neutral and noone controls it.
3) They can be upgraded, but the upgrade stays if the enemy claims it.
4) Different types of add-ons can be built near them -only one per building-, which has to be destroyed for the enemy to be able to interact with the building.

B- Standard units (here called warriors) can go up in ranks. This is in effect a dynamic way to upgrade individual units.
1) Lower-tier warriors require less experience than high-tier ones to go up in rank in order to enable strategies with high-rank, low-tier warriors.
2) Some warriors are given investment/tradeoff options related to ranks. For instance, at rank 2 warrior might be given the ability to sacrifice itself for some temporary advantage; however, if it makes it to rank 3, he is given a great ability.
3) High-rank warriors give significantly more experience upon death, so as to enable comebacks and make the slippery slope not as lopsided.
4) Going up a rank gives the warrior some HP and +0.1 move speed. At each ranks 1 and 2 it also receives a new ability. At rank 3 it also received a particular bonus.
5) At the highest rank (4), a warrior becomes a leader, enabling it to convert buildings and improving its charisma (1 charisma = +1 damage and +0.1 move speed to units nearby)

C- Dynamic and integrated victory condition.
1) The game is won when the enemy main buildings (one Headquarter per player) are damaged up to a point. They can be damaged by:
- Attacking them. (fastest method)
- Controlling one type of neutral building -the Neutral Headquarters. (-1 HP per second to every enemy Headquarters)
- Capturing neutral buildings with Engineers.(-25 HP to every enemy Headquarter)
2) The only way to repair your Headquarters is by capturing neutral buildings with Engineers. (+75 HP)
3) The "HP left" to win is shown to both teams in a scoreboard.
4) Headquarters do not start at full HPs.

D- Focus on close-ranged combat.
1) Almost no air units.
2) Specialized melee siege unit effective against ranged fire.
3) Very few caster units. Pure caster units are most useful supporting melee units.
4) Units moving slower as they closer to dying and slowed unit acceleration mean melee units cannot be kited as effectively. (this also means that if you really want to kill a high-rank enemy warrior, you will be able to do it, which allows me to give warriors significant bonuses for leveling up)

E- Fast start.
1) Players start with a few fighting units and a leader unit. Games may take as short as 3-5 minutes to be over.
2) Leader units have 2 uses of a "Fast convert building" ability to kick-start the game and add a tough decision to make (to use the ability asap or save it to convert enemy neutral buildings)
3) Which buildings to claim initially, and whether to claim those close to your base or run to claim neutral buildings owned by the enemy, are hopefully intriguing and fun/tough decisions that will define the map.

F- Different types of meta-armies. Players can focus on:
1) Lots of "upgraded" low-tier, low-rank warriors (ala Starcraft)
2) A small group of medium-tier, high-ranked warriors.
3) A group of low-tier warriors supporting a few high-tier ones (ala Warcraft)
4) Any combination of the above.

Terrain (so far) so you get a better idea:

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
This looks very interesting. I like the current terrain. It looks kind of clean without too much distracting fluff.

The gameplay sounds good as well but I am not sure how you will fit it in if the games can be as short as 3-5 minutes. It feels like the gameplay will be more rewarding if you actually have the time to appreciate it without the game being over before you get to know it. Still, I don't know since I haven't played it. It might work out great.

unju

Reaction score
Thank you Siretu! Btw I replied to the Banelings thread on Teamliquid, I would be interested in helping you test that one.

I wonder, do you have EU account?

The bit about lasting 3-5 minutes is just in extreme cases. Say you try a new start, it doesn´t work out, the opponent kills you quickly, you go on to another game. Or if there´s too much skill difference, the better player gets a definitive advantage very early. Still, my main point here is that I want players to look forward to playing a new game and try a different start.
If you´d like to be there when I start the tests, I´ll let you know.

PS: I am also strangely proud of that terrain, although I have to say a lot of hours have been invested in producing several versions before arriving to this one. I also got some help in this department.

Siretu

Reaction score
I would love to get testers for Banelings although it's temporarily on a halt since my current project is cruiser command. Although currently, Skyrim is also taking a lot of time :)

I only have an EU account although I sometimes gain access to NA with friends' accounts.

I understand what you're saying about the play time. I would make sure there's a restart option so the game just restarts without having to reload the game.

Be proud of the terrain, that's the part that is the hardest for me. Fortunately, I have some awesome people helping me.

unju

Reaction score
Awesome!

Btw Siretu, I am testing with 2 other guys from Sweden :)

Very interesting suggestion about the restart option. I however want players to choose their faction in the game lobby, I have to see if those two are incompatible with each other.

It´s looking fun already, let me know if you of anyone here wants to see it!

Siretu

Reaction score
Okay, you could let player's choose faction in the lobby but ask them if they would like to change it every time you restart the game.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.