• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It could use ALOT of work

• don't even bother!

• Total voters

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
I've decided to write up a prologue and see if i have any talent for writing, it's not much because i don't want to invest too much time on a project no one would be interested in.. but i want to know what you all think! whats wrong with it? does it capture you? would you be interested in reading more? do i need to go into more detail? does it move too quickly?! i want lots of opinions please :D

Three resourceful men stood triumphant over a blazing fire, they had successfully ignited hope from the damp woods, fighting the chilling winds that would certainly claim some ill-fated soul. A tall gray haired man with deep blue eyes stood up and raised his chin to the sky. His eyes closed, his hands at his side, he whispered a silent prayer of thanks to the sunset, its final glare fading beyond the horizon.
“And not a moment too soon” one of the men still hunched by the fire pronounced in a matter-of-fact tone.
The other man gave him a sly smile and rolled off from his toes onto his back side.
Staring up at the sky, “There’s plenty of welcome in these old bones” he replied.
The silver haired man looked down at the two men and felt the comfort of their smiles.
He returned to his stooped position over the fire, sparing one last glance to the now black horizon where the sun had been moments before. After rolling his rucksack off his shoulder he began to investigate the contents. After a moments pass he withdrew 2 small tin’s, the first of which he buried in the scarlet coals of the fire. The second he popped open with the stiletto from his waist, revealing a tin full of hard flakey biscuits that where without question quite old. Instinctively he offered them to his companions; he had witnessed their naive disregard for rationing on many occasions. They each grabbed a handful of the crumbling pastry with a grunt.
“Thanks” muttered the portly man still on his feet.
He unhooked the buckle that kept his frayed magenta cloak hugged against his chest. Folding it and gently placing it on the ground he sat down. His mustache twitching in tune with the sparks of the fire he began nibbling solemnly on a larger flake of bread.
The man lying on the ground leapt to his knees, his eyes darting around the surrounding forest like quicksilver.
“What is it? What’s wrong?” the magenta endowed man squealed.
“Quiet, I heard something, something close in the woods” he replied.
The silver haired man swiftly and quietly rose to his feet and began combing the surrounding forest with his eyes. The portly man surrendered to fear stood paralyzed. It was hard to tell whether moments or hours had passed, all 3 men prone, unmoving against the strong burning of the winds. Above the fire and winds nothing could be heard.
“Are you certain you heard something Jarek?” The plump man submitting to uncertainty asked.
“It may have been an animal, but sure as the sun will rise, There is something out there” Jarek replied gruffly.
Another long moment passed before in the distance something stirred. The forest blocked out much of the view, but a glint here and a flash of snowy gray could be seen. The figure moved with hesitation, only daring a few brief steps at a time. All six eyes were now fixed on the approaching wisp. None dared to utter a word, or question openly what was approaching them.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
You know, I didn't think it was half bad; the story seems like it could get interesting, and your style of writing was pleasant for me to read. I thought you used your words well, and expressed your character's emotions very realistically.

On the other hand, your grammar is fairly atrocious, it's a short bit of literature (granted, that doesn't always matter), and there seemed to be some inconsistencies with your story as to what your people were doing; for instance, Magenta Man was sitting at one point and in the next sentence he was standing, paralyzed with fear, and after that sentence he was lying prone across the ground. I realize that you may have accidentally used prone in the wrong situation, but it still made me grimace.

Now, here's my question to you, if you're considering continuing this: how does any of this relate to the story? Were those three men three main characters, or were they just three men? What was this shade that they all saw? Did it look like a person? How is it relevant if they have no idea what it is, or whether or not it's malevolent? Now, you may very well have a reason to be doing what you're doing, but you must consider that everything your write about in your story should help move the plot forward in some way, shape or form.

Anywho, you've definitely got potential to write something good, but first you should do a little homework. Studying up on writing techniques and the basics of story-telling, as well as practicing your grammar on any given day, should help you out a lot in the future. I'll give your poll a whirl, though, just so you can get someone on there.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
You know, I didn't think it was half bad; the story seems like it could get interesting, and your style of writing was pleasant for me to read. I thought you used your words well, and expressed your character's emotions very realistically.
Im not much for grammar but i'd like to think i have a larger vocabulary then most. :eek:

On the other hand, your grammar is fairly atrocious, it's a short bit of literature (granted, that doesn't always matter), and there seemed to be some inconsistencies with your story as to what your people were doing; for instance, Magenta Man was sitting at one point and in the next sentence he was standing, paralyzed with fear, and after that sentence he was lying prone across the ground. I realize that you may have accidentally used prone in the wrong situation, but it still made me grimace.
Thank you for your honesty, I am aware my grammar is lacking.. and this coming fall I'm committed to two English classes, hopefully that will help. I see the inconsistency, and i must have been mistaken on the meaning of prone heh, i always thought it meant ready or prepared, like assuming a battle stance in preparation for what could be a fight.

Now, here's my question to you, if you're considering continuing this: how does any of this relate to the story? Were those three men three main characters, or were they just three men? What was this shade that they all saw? Did it look like a person? How is it relevant if they have no idea what it is, or whether or not it's malevolent? Now, you may very well have a reason to be doing what you're doing, but you must consider that everything your write about in your story should help move the plot forward in some way, shape or form.
Not all 3 are main characters, they are involved periodically but the only one who is really important is the gray haired man, which i did my best to keep the attention focused on him. The figure at this point can't be seen clearly through the trees, but if i continue the prologue, in time it'll become clear that this figure is a girl wandering towards the fire in desperation. The main character in a sense, a son born of matricide.

Anywho, you've definitely got potential to write something good, but first you should do a little homework. Studying up on writing techniques and the basics of story-telling, as well as practicing your grammar on any given day, should help you out a lot in the future. I'll give your poll a whirl, though, just so you can get someone on there.

Thanks for the input, i hope with my fall classes i'll get better.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
It had nice wording, but for some reason the way you used the wording felt cheesy. I'm not sure why, but I think you were trying too hard. Those are my thoughts. :)

EDIT: After reading the other comments by Fatmankev, I'm starting to think it was the grammar instead of the wording. Selective use of words help the story, but grammar and accurate description is always a big boost. ^_^

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
The big thing you've all missed is the fact that he's telling the story not showing. I have the same problem which is why I mainly stay away from writing stories, but it's a bad thing to get into. You have to not just tell us they are resourceful, show us they are resourceful.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Telling and writing a story isn't very different. Both require work and study. :D If you're too lazy to do to make something you really like then why should we bother reading or listening to your story? Words are a form of communication; with hard work communication becomes art. Just like programing, art, talking (singing in most cases), clothing, and cooking.
I want to live in a world where people work hard on their stories, ideas, and passions. Also, if this was only for the story value, then why post it in "The Writer's Corner"? :rolleyes:

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Err.. Maybe you don't get what I mean.
I mean.. he just SAYS they do something, instead of using figurative language, hints, or implying that they do something.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I've read plenty of short stories that were horrible. His wasn't horrible, yet the wording wasn't my favorite thing in the world.

I'm not sure what value your post has about the prose. It seems you're just telling us off for reviewing his work.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
Err.. Maybe you don't get what I mean.
I mean.. he just SAYS they do something, instead of using figurative language, hints, or implying that they do something.

your getting caught up on a single sentence, the story starts just after they've lit the fire, introducing the characters, not that first and foremost they are capable of starting a fire.. the events that follow are hardly as vague.. your being narrow minded and perverse as always elms

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
What? No.
I read the whole thing, my example wasn't even based off of the first sentence. A mere coincidence actually.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
"Im not much for grammar but i'd like to think i have a larger vocabulary then most."
not for the Writer's Corner you don't, but take a random batch of people the same age and yes you probably will be.

It's a fine story, but I don't get drawn into it, and though you describe things I don't get a good picture in my head. Your grammar, as Ninva pointed out, might be part of the reason. try to make the sentences flow more, I noticed they were a bit choppy.
I wasn't all too interested to read, because its just three men at a campfire when they hear something in the woods. happens all the time, add a bit more mystery or fantasy to it, something that would really catch the readers interest.

It's a fair piece of work, and I can see you have potential, work hard ;)

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Silly Halahan, we don't know anything about real literature. :shades:

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
rotfl. How you figure that :p? how does my post differ from yours?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.